Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Dec 6, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #8,281 of 9,388
I also received my zero today, and it sounds great. However, I have this ridiculous clicking noise. I have done some research here and I guess its coming from the relays switching on and off whenever they receive a signal.

I am running coax from my realtek onboard sound. This is unbelievably annoying. If im not listening to music, every time the computer makes a noise (forward\back in browser, new mail, alert ding, whatever) there is a pretty loud "click......click" as the relay turns on and off.

Is there anyway to get rid of this? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the realtek drivers as well as updating them, no luck.

ANY help would be appreciated...

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #8,282 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by RipcordAFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also received my zero today, and it sounds great. However, I have this ridiculous clicking noise. I have done some research here and I guess its coming from the relays switching on and off whenever they receive a signal.

I am running coax from my realtek onboard sound. This is unbelievably annoying. If im not listening to music, every time the computer makes a noise (forward\back in browser, new mail, alert ding, whatever) there is a pretty loud "click......click" as the relay turns on and off.

Is there anyway to get rid of this? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the realtek drivers as well as updating them, no luck.

I could be way off on this, but as far as I know, this is just the way that sound chip works. Getting a different audio card should help this - my x-fi doesn't have this problem (nor does my mac pro's built-in optical out). Probably not what you wanted to hear - so maybe I'm wrong...

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #8,283 of 9,388
Have you disabled windows sounds? Try to turn them all off.

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #8,284 of 9,388
Quote:

Click spkr on Lower right task bar, At bottom of Vol slider
Note "Mixer" >> Click on Mixer >> In Vista, you can turn off Just Browser sounds , etc. I have not used XP in a while, you may have to use the sound app in the control for it. It's amazing you put up with it for this long to not have addressed this earlier. This is like the first thing i do when i build a computer. The browser is especially irritating to me.

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #8,285 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Click spkr on Lower right task bar, At bottom of Vol slider
Note "Mixer" >> Click on Mixer >> In Vista, you can turn off Just Browser sounds , etc. I have not used XP in a while, you may have to use the sound app in the control for it. It's amazing you put up with it for this long to not have addressed this earlier. This is like the first thing i do when i build a computer. The browser is especially irritating to me.

Well i use Opera mostly, so it doesnt have noise (but I have to use IE for this site for some reason...)

Anyways, yeah I do see where I can shut up all windows sounds, but then i do lose things that I do like, such as new mail notifications etc. It is just irritating that the realtek coax out continually lets the signal go and reacquire it for every sound.

So it does sound like I could upgrade sound cards...that is one option, but it seems a little superfluous if im only using it for digital out..but if thats the only way I guess I could try it

Last question, what should the settings on the digital out be. There is two sets of options, pictures attached below. I guess I dont understand what the sample rates should be. (sources are mp3s 192-320 kbps)

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #8,286 of 9,388
well if you want to buy a different sound card this one is great :Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro Refurbished - 70SB036001001-8 - Sound Card

i have it and like it very much (though i had to use unofficial drivers on vista)

plus for 80 dollars on clearance sale its a good deal if you can seize it (and the remote is sweet ^^)

edit: well you just need a digital out (since the zero will process the signal, not your soundcard) so maybe 80 dollars is too much...i don't know of any soundcard only offering a digital out

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #8,287 of 9,388
Quote:

Your soundcard is disabling the digital signal when no sound is being produced. It's not a problem with the Zero, an alternative soundcard should alleviate this problem, though there may be updated or tweaked drivers...

Just a quick update on my Zero. I've pulled the board and reflowed the receiver and DAC ICs. No difference.

I might just grab one of these to replace it.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #8,288 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeoboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just want to say that I also just received the HDAM, LT1364, Alps pot from LC off of EBay. arrived in 10 days. All working perfectly. Since people often are more likely to post when they have a problem, I wanted to give some positive feedback as well. Communication was great.

LC?
It would be nice if you could supply a link, or more information =x
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your soundcard is disabling the digital signal when no sound is being produced. It's not a problem with the Zero, an alternative soundcard should alleviate this problem, though there may be updated or tweaked drivers...

I "fixed" it by getting an M-Audio sonica, but I kind of feel like I should've gone with a coax of some sort instead =\

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #8,289 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by randomasdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LC?
It would be nice if you could supply a link, or more information =x

LC = Lawrence aka biglawhk @ eBay

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #8,290 of 9,388
Quote:

I have in my pc too realtek onboard sound and e-mu 0404 soundcard. With e-mu i haven't noticed any clicking or anything else like that to zero. When i turn on that realtek coax out to zero, the same clicking sound starts, what you have.

So, if you get another soundcard, i believe that clicking ends. Hope so
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #8,291 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just a quick update on my Zero. I've pulled the board and reflowed the receiver and DAC ICs. No difference.

I might just grab one of these to replace it.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

I've salivated over that one myself. If you leave us for another DAC thread, you need to post a parting recview of the new DAC :wink:

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #8,293 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by randomasdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah, thanks
did'nt see those parts on his listings ( eBay Seller: biglawhk: Electronics, Computers Networking items on eBay.com ?) so I didn't know who it was =x

Since that Gentleman was so "NICE" to help you find LC, you should read this thread from about Post 500 on, before you spend your money.

I can't believe anyone who has been on this thread would facilitate this guy doing business.

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #8,294 of 9,388
Quote:

Since that Gentleman was so "NICE" to help you find LC, you should read this thread from about Post 500 on, before you spend your money.

I can't believe anyone who has been on this thread would facilitate this guy doing business.

yeah, I've heard he hasn't been doing delivering parts such as the chips for the headphone amp, but I don't know where else to get the ALPS pot =\

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #8,295 of 9,388
Quote:

Your out of line. I have alerted about LC woes many times, even when you where not a member here, I have been quite clear on my opinion about his way of doing business, this however does not preclude me from clearing a doubt a member had, if anything with the added info he can search here and find out about the woes (read above, he does already), one should never buy without some research, knowing LC is Lawrence only helps connect the dots. One cannot explain everything every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back