Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Dec 6, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #8,296 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by randomasdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, I've heard he hasn't been doing delivering parts such as the chips for the headphone amp, but I don't know where else to get the ALPS pot =\

That's what attracted me to him also. I bought mine from him and had Zero issues. But there's enough bad stuff to suggest if there is an issue, he writes you off. It is also obvious that a number of issues of QC were caused by him directly because of the "Upgrades" he does that were performed by "Untrained" monkeys. AudioPhewl was given the long hard one by LC. The burnt Sennheiser thread is an interesting read also. I went out and bought some cheap test phones after reading that thread.

He gets those POTs from somebody. We just need to find out a source for them. I posted a link that shows an identical looking POT but Peete said it was a knockoff.

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #8,297 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your out of line. I have alerted about LC woes many times, even when you where not a member here, I have been quite clear on my opinion about his way of doing business, this however does not preclude me from clearing a doubt a member had, if anything with the added info he can search here and find out about the woes (read above, he does already), one should never buy without some research, knowing LC is Lawrence only helps connect the dots. One cannot explain everything every time.

Adding on to this, I previously posted in this thread a couple (hundred?) pages back asking for where I could buy the ALPS and he did mention lawrence, but it was quite clear, at least to me, that his service was not the best. As a result, I haven't yet bought the alps because of fear, and also the somewhat steep price =x
DaMnEd was also nice to correct my on my false accusation of wsz0304, who had spectacular customer service and shipping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what attracted me to him also. I bought mine from him and had Zero issues. But there's enough bad stuff to suggest if there is an issue, he writes you off. It is also obvious that a number of issues of QC were caused by him directly because of the "Upgrades" he does that were performed by "Untrained" monkeys. AudioPhewl was given the long hard one by LC. The burnt Sennheiser thread is an interesting read also. I went out and bought some cheap test phones after reading that thread.

He gets those POTs from somebody. We just need to find out a source for them. I posted a link that shows an identical looking POT but Peete said it was a knockoff.

Same here =\
I've heard that there are similar pots you can find easily off ebay, but have a blue casing you have to deal with.

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #8,298 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMnEd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your out of line. I have alerted about LC woes many times, even when you where not a member here, I have been quite clear on my opinion about his way of doing business, this however does not preclude me from clearing a doubt a member had, if anything with the added info he can search here and find out about the woes (read above, he does already), one should never buy without some research, knowing LC is Lawrence only helps connect the dots. One cannot explain everything every time.

Mehh, I been outa line before.

The problem is that when you post like you did, and someone who has read pages 1-100 here and maybe skips to the end, and then reads your post out of context from the nearly 900 posts here, a mistake can be made. That person may look up LC, and buy one. You can only search about woes if you know about woes. And the search engine/function here ain't real efficient. Every Zero buyer out there is not going to read almost 900 pages and nearly 10,000 posts before they buy one.

I read about 450-500 pages. I then purchased from LC(because of the ALPs POT) and over the next day or so, I read the next 250 pages to catch up to page 750 at that time. In the last 100-150 pages, I learned about the LC issues and prayed I wouldn't have them. I didn't. The point of my post was, if you mention LC for whatever reason, it would be fair of you to mention buyer beware in every thread you mention him. A lot of people are going to come to this thread and read the first few pages and skip to the end. Just the way the world is. They see you post in isolation and think it's an endorsement.

I'll repeat what I said before. I find it hard to believe anyone here is still trying to facilitate this guy doing business with members here.

If you wanted to help a lot, you help find some ALPs pots so nobody would be tempted to buy from him. That's what I have done.

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #8,299 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by randomasdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adding on to this, I previously posted in this thread a couple (hundred?) pages back asking for where I could buy the ALPS and he did mention lawrence, but it was quite clear, at least to me, that his service was not the best. As a result, I haven't yet bought the alps because of fear, and also the somewhat steep price =x
DaMnEd was also nice to correct my on my false accusation of wsz0304, who had spectacular customer service and shipping.

Same here =\
I've heard that there are similar pots you can find easily off ebay, but have a blue casing you have to deal with.

I've heard the Blue ALPs are not the same POTs and won't work without the blue casing.

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #8,301 of 9,388
Quote:

Mehh, I been outa line before.

The problem is that when you post like you did, and someone who has read pages 1-100 here and maybe skips to the end, and then reads your post out of context from the nearly 900 posts here, a mistake can be made. That person may look up LC, and buy one. You can only search about woes if you know about woes. And the search engine/function here ain't real efficient. Every Zero buyer out there is not going to read almost 900 pages and nearly 10,000 posts before they buy one.

I read about 450-500 pages. I then purchased from LC(because of the ALPs POT) and over the next day or so, I read the next 250 pages to catch up to page 750 at that time. In the last 100-150 pages, I learned about the LC issues and prayed I wouldn't have them. I didn't. The point of my post was, if you mention LC for whatever reason, it would be fair of you to mention buyer beware in every thread you mention him. A lot of people are going to come to this thread and read the first few pages and skip to the end. Just the way the world is. They see you post in isolation and think it's an endorsement.

I'll repeat what I said before. I find it hard to believe anyone here is still trying to facilitate this guy doing business with members here.

If you wanted to help a lot, you help find some ALPs pots so nobody would be tempted to buy from him. That's what I have done.

Forums are not ideal to store info, they where created for ongoing discussions, and you end up having to repeat yourself on and on again in situations like this one, same questions, same answers, even with search it is difficult to manage. The only way to grantee some soft of up-to-date info for most users, new and old, would be to keep the first post updated, this has not been done for a while, specially regarding the new info (LC woes, new options like HDAMs, etc).

The first post should at the very least (imho) link to Currawong's blog about the ZERO, it is the most comprehensive info about this unit that's available, and it is up-to-date for now.
smily_headphones1.gif

You do what you chose to do to "help a lot", I have my own way, thank you.

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #8,303 of 9,388
Quote:

I've salivated over that one myself. If you leave us for another DAC thread, you need to post a parting recview of the new DAC :wink:

Will do
smily_headphones1.gif
. Need to work out some finances first though, need to spend a bit of money on my car over the next month or so. Don't really want to stick with the AV710 for that long, but I guess we'll see how things pan out
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #8,304 of 9,388
Oooohhh.... Cambridge Audio have released a new DAC recently - the DacMagic...

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets...CMagic2_A5.pdf

£200, and available locally. Everything seems very positive from looking around online - that's really not much more than I'd be paying for another Zero, SVDAC05, Beresford, etc... plus there'd be no worries regarding shipping, or warranty claims, or customs charges... Plus, it's got XLR outputs, which should be good with my Stax stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

With the weak pound to dollar rate at the moment(the Zero now costs ~£120 delivered, whereas a few months back, it was less than £90), this is quite appealing
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Dec 7, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #8,305 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your soundcard is disabling the digital signal when no sound is being produced. It's not a problem with the Zero, an alternative soundcard should alleviate this problem, though there may be updated or tweaked drivers...

Just a quick update on my Zero. I've pulled the board and reflowed the receiver and DAC ICs. No difference.

I might just grab one of these to replace it.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

I'd love to see a review of this DAC. I just picked up a Great March II and it comes very, very close to my Lavry in performance. I wonder if this would be in that same league?

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #8,310 of 9,388
ads2: A hardware store? Maybe hobby shops or hardware stores would have stick-on rubber feet for putting on the bottom of things to stop them scratching tables and floors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back