Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Nov 20, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #7,936 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree everything what ScottieB has said, and since I havent brought from Lawrence, I cannot prove its specifically Burson HDAM or not, maybe you can do that, keeping in mind that Burson HDAM is registered product and it costs twice as much as AudioGD Earth HDAM.
And in any case, I had very courteously asked him if it was Earth or Sun Module, he could have just said Earth, because No matter what anyone says, I do not think he uses Burson HDAM perse, it just would not make business sence..

Well maybe - my assumption (and it is just that) was that he could only GET the burson ones, since they are sold 3rd party? Perhaps Audio-GD know's he'd be a reseller and doesn't want to go that route anymore? Or maybe they know that he also sells to the Head-Fi crowd so they don't want the competition for this relatively niche market? Now that I type that it doesn't make much sense but that was my assumption. At any rate, the higher cost is likely due to the middleman (and now you could see Lawrence as another middle man). The Burson is probably just easier for him to acquire.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #7,937 of 9,388
Quote:

Naa, its not the same, I think Burson HDAMs costs twice if not more than the Earth HDAM it uses, it might sound the same, but its not the same.. and then if you see the courteous mail I had written to him, I had asked him if it was Earth or Sun.. Anyway, I just found his reply not truthful and I pulled back from dealing with him..

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right about the cost, but I think he's right about it being the Earth. The way I understand it is Audio-GD makes them, but didn't always sell them. They were sold by 3rd parties (like Burson). Then Audio-GD improved the HDAMs and started selling them directly - effectively cutting out the middleman and lowering the cost. It has been stated here several times that the Burson HDAM IS, in fact, the 1st-gen Earth module.

Hi Guys!

Yes, it is true. The first model HDAM is the same HDAM audiogd was making for Burson. They also sold these to other audio shops and did indeed call it the "earth" HDAM. This is the model Lawrence has been using in his upgrades.

When I got my first HDAM from Lawrence, and got my first "earth V1" directly from audiogd, I matured them for over 300 hours and did a comparison. This was with a stock Zero, with LT1364's in the headphone amp. I was unable to hear a difference between the two HDAMs. I haven't tried the "earth V2" yet, so maybe I'll get the chance to purchase one later on.

I can tell you for sure, both the HDAM "earth" and the HDAM "earth V1" work extremely well in my Zero, AND my FrankenZero. I haven't had time to do a comparison of the two earths using my FrankenZero, but it is on my list of things to do. I have a feeling that the FrankenZero will be able to reveal the difference, if there is any. Time will tell.
smily_headphones1.gif

There is also the issue of doing the Burson HDAM cap mod. I have it done to the original HDAM "earth" with excellent results, but I haven't had time yet to do it to the "earth V1". This is on the top of my list, and then comes the long burn in due to the cap. Once that is done, I'll be able to give impressions and a comparison between the two HDAMs. If anyone else has done any of this, please chime in and let us know the results.
smily_headphones1.gif

Due to ongoing medical issues, I've been seriously delayed in getting some of these things completed. I apologize if anyone was waiting for further word from me, on these comparisons or other reviews.
redface.gif
I'll do my best to catch up, as soon as I can.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #7,938 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a strange conversation, because you have NO idea what he pays for anything!

No maybe I dont, all I know and I have seen is quite a number of folks in the forum and in his Ebay feedback complaining about his service, and I wish he was as good to everyone as he was good to you..

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #7,939 of 9,388
Get better, Pench (assuming it is you you're talking about)! We'll help hold down the fort in the meantime..
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #7,940 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Guys!

Yes, it is true. The first model HDAM is the same HDAM audiogd was making for Burson. They also sold these to other audio shops and did indeed call it the "earth" HDAM. This is the model Lawrence has been using in his upgrades.

When I got my first HDAM from Lawrence, and got my first "earth V1" directly from audiogd, I matured them for over 300 hours and did a comparison. This was with a stock Zero, with LT1364's in the headphone amp. I was unable to hear a difference between the two HDAMs. I haven't tried the "earth V2" yet, so maybe I'll get the chance to purchase one later on.

Hi,
Thanx for the, Ahhh, clarification! Hope your issues get resolved to your satisfaction. Miss your input to this thread!

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #7,941 of 9,388
Quote:

No maybe I dont, all I know and I have seen is quite a number of folks in the forum and in his Ebay feedback complaining about his service, and I wish he was as good to everyone as he was good to you..

I don't know why he had or has the issues reported on. I will say this, I don't deal with Vendors I don't know off of Ebay. There is no leverage, especially in China. On FleaBay, you can leave FB and put someone out of business if he does it enough. A PayPal payment to Johnny_Come_lately@China.com means you are at their mercy. Other than a Forum, nobody knows about your issues.

Additionally, I have Found that dealing with the East and Middle East means you need to respect their culture. Some of these people are very polite as they cut your head off. Playing a condescending Ugly American gets you TEN steps backward with them.

Don't flame, I am talking perception here. There is a cultural difference between cultures that foster free speech and those that stifle it. What an American might think is reasonable questionsmay be a Beheading offense elsewhere. Americans are known for their Rude behavior the world over. So any forwardness in conversation will be viewed as rude because you are an American, the same question from an Armenian or a Georgian would not be perceived the same.

Now look at Lawrence's Ebay FB, it's good. Everything is a matter of percentages. I must admit, I had already ordered mine when i saw those posts, and got REAL worried. But my experience could not have been better. I opend the box before firing it up, and looked everything over REAL well. It was perfect and delivered early. he communicated to me Saturday and Sunday. Every Email was answered. That was my experience.

I WOULD NOR ORDER OUTSIDE OF EBAY. I am looking at a DV 337SE and the vendors want to sell off Ebay, Forget it, no way I am sending $1000 to someone in China I don't know with Zero recourse. FleaBay ain't perfect, but its all we have.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #7,942 of 9,388
Quote:

Get better, Pench (assuming it is you you're talking about)! We'll help hold down the fort in the meantime..
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Hi,
Thanx for the, Ahhh, clarification! Hope your issues get resolved to your satisfaction. Miss your input to this thread!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words!
Yep, it's about me and my titanium caged lower back. I'm recovering slowly (I hate slow recoveries) from this latest episode, and will be getting things back to some kind of normal very soon (I hope).
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #7,943 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by seaice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no USB input on the DAC. The DAC has only two digital inputs - optical and coaxial - so you need a soundcard with optical or coaxial digital output to feed the DAC.

here in singapore a couple of people who sell the dac throw in a usb--> spdif converter so i was asking on the premise that one such would be used.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #7,945 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by athenaesword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okay i'll take a look at that. btw could you comment on the 24bit/192khz from the USB? is the dac upsampling the 24bit/192khz from the 16bit out of the USB, or is the USB feeding 24bit out to the dac?

athenaesword, Zero is not an upsampling DAC and some may claim feeding 44.1K pulls the best out of it, although the statement is arguable. Also, not all USB/SPDIF converter can do 24/192, as a matter of fact, most of them can't. I think most budget USB/Optical converters are either PCM270x or CM10x based, which can only do 16bit @ 44.1K and 48K. Both chips are cable of bit perfect though. Or you can buy more expensive gear, such as EMU 0404USB, which costs twice of a stock Zero.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #7,946 of 9,388
Quote:

I don't know why he had or has the issues reported on. I will say this, I don't deal with Vendors I don't know off of Ebay. There is no leverage, especially in China. On FleaBay, you can leave FB and put someone out of business if he does it enough. A PayPal payment to Johnny_Come_lately@China.com means you are at their mercy. Other than a Forum, nobody knows about your issues.

Additionally, I have Found that dealing with the East and Middle East means you need to respect their culture. Some of these people are very polite as they cut your head off. Playing a condescending Ugly American gets you TEN steps backward with them.

Don't flame, I am talking perception here. There is a cultural difference between cultures that foster free speech and those that stifle it. What an American might think is reasonable questionsmay be a Beheading offense elsewhere. Americans are known for their Rude behavior the world over. So any forwardness in conversation will be viewed as rude because you are an American, the same question from an Armenian or a Georgian would not be perceived the same.

Now look at Lawrence's Ebay FB, it's good. Everything is a matter of percentages. I must admit, I had already ordered mine when i saw those posts, and got REAL worried. But my experience could not have been better. I opend the box before firing it up, and looked everything over REAL well. It was perfect and delivered early. he communicated to me Saturday and Sunday. Every Email was answered. That was my experience.

I WOULD NOR ORDER OUTSIDE OF EBAY. I am looking at a DV 337SE and the vendors want to sell off Ebay, Forget it, no way I am sending $1000 to someone in China I don't know with Zero recourse. FleaBay ain't perfect, but its all we have.

I agree with you, but I also see it this way:

A guy orders a zero dac from Lawrence; let’s forget about the guys culture, his background, his hard earned money, his enthusiasm and his expectations. He gets the DAC, and when he hooks it up, his new headphones are fried, Man, he could have been electrocuted !!

Forget about business, to me this is a bloody crime – do you really expect that guy to sit and think how he has to deal with this issue, I mean hasn’t he dealt with it enough? Isn’t it the time for the other guy to be dealt with, and in a manner he should be.

I think it’s really about personalities and not culture, if something like this happened with me, I would never lick his butts just to secure my money, I would surely give him the words and treatment he deserves.

And honestly, I don’t agree when you say, Americans are known for their rude behavior, it’s true that they are mostly straight talker, and I truly believe it helps more than just sweet talking, especially when it comes to business. I mean when someone orders a dac from Lawrence, it’s purely business and nothing do with cultural exchanges..

I don’t know, I might be pulled up for this post, but to me I see how the person must have felt when got that DAC, to me, I would consider his feeling more than I would consider a billion people culture..

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #7,947 of 9,388
Quote:

SNIP
I don’t know, I might be pulled up for this post, but to me I see how the person must have felt when got that DAC, to me, I would consider his feeling more than I would consider a billion people culture..

I hear what you're saying, and in a way you're right, but the point is that it is a fact that we all have differing cultures, and these differences will influence how we interact - whether we make a conscious decision to or not. You have to be aware of it and realize how it may affect the transaction and interaction. Add to the cultural barrier a very significant language barrier (man I'm glad Lawrence knows some english - because we'd be lost if I had to learn Chinese!) and you can see how issues could pop up. Regardless of culture I'd say business is business and customer service is customer service, but people are people too and we need to be aware of differing cultures during our interpersonal interactions. That doesn't excuse the handful of times that Lawrence has seemingly ignored emails and problems, but it does provide a cautionary tale for anyone who runs in to problems -- be aware of the cultural barriers when you contact him, and remember that what may seem "normal" or expected to you may just rub him the wrong way.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #7,948 of 9,388
Quote:

I hear what you're saying, and in a way you're right, but the point is that it is a fact that we all have differing cultures, and these differences will influence how we interact - whether we make a conscious decision to or not. You have to be aware of it and realize how it may affect the transaction and interaction. Add to the cultural barrier a very significant language barrier (man I'm glad Lawrence knows some english - because we'd be lost if I had to learn Chinese!) and you can see how issues could pop up. Regardless of culture I'd say business is business and customer service is customer service, but people are people too and we need to be aware of differing cultures during our interpersonal interactions. That doesn't excuse the handful of times that Lawrence has seemingly ignored emails and problems, but it does provide a cautionary tale for anyone who runs in to problems -- be aware of the cultural barriers when you contact him, and remember that what may seem "normal" or expected to you may just rub him the wrong way.

I again agree, but I feel it has to work both ways.
After all everyone has a personality and a culture, its not just the Chinese or the Americans, you respect and you will be respected, you don't and I wouldn't care which way it rubs..

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #7,949 of 9,388
Quote:

I again agree, but I feel it has to work both ways.
After all everyone has a personality and a culture, its not just the Chinese or the Americans, you respect and you will be respected, you don't and I wouldn't care which way it rubs..

Don't get me wrong, there's certainly some bad deals have happened here, and i agree about the customer service issue. Service is service. About "Frying Headphones", well there ain't no UL stamp on the back of this stuff, and there is no Consumer protection. Your house burns down because you are buying Chinese Electronics, you're kinda on your own there, unfortunately!

My point is, that if you send some money to someone with ZERO leverage and you have a dispute, "Butter shouldn't melt in your mouth" if you know what I mean. It's just plain common sense. If that person is of a culture that highly values etiquette, and politeness, it makes no sense to be forward and aggressive. Languages other than English have formal and informal speech just for this reason. For instance, I speak German, if I used formal tone to my dog, it would offend everyone within earshot, as well as if I used informal tone to someone I had just met. he would be insulted because I used the same tone as I use for my dog. You will notice in all Chinese correspondence how polite they are. When you become aggressive to them, they WILL be insulted. In the old days,they used to carry swords to handle etiquette issues.

Ohhh, and I'm an American and we are very Rude, condescending and arrogant. travel outside the US more.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #7,950 of 9,388
Right - what I was saying was that if you want a certain result, you've got to "play the game" so to speak. For instance, I can't stand corporate america, the culture, the clothing, the politics - I HATE it. But I work for a fairly large corporation and as such, if I want to thrive, I need to play the game. I go home and tell my wife how stupid and phony it is, and at times it really messes with my integrity to be so fake and anti-everything I believe, but I gotta work, and I may as well be as successful as possible doing it (so I can pour more money into the Chinese electronics economy - ha!).

I think the point of all this from the beginning was to say just be aware, and use the knowledge you have to your advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back