Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Nov 20, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #7,951 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right - what I was saying was that if you want a certain result, you've got to "play the game" so to speak. For instance, I can't stand corporate america, the culture, the clothing, the politics - I HATE it. But I work for a fairly large corporation and as such, if I want to thrive, I need to play the game. I go home and tell my wife how stupid and phony it is, and at times it really messes with my integrity to be so fake and anti-everything I believe, but I gotta work, and I may as well be as successful as possible doing it (so I can pour more money into the Chinese electronics economy - ha!).

I think the point of all this from the beginning was to say just be aware, and use the knowledge you have to your advantage.

Righto ! play the game - cheers scottie and Les !
beerchug.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #7,952 of 9,388
I feel bad for posting this in here, but I've spent the last two weeks reading three hundred of the pages in this thread as well as some others. From what I've read the Zero should be able to drive the 80ohm DT770s but I purchased the 250ohm 05 consumer edition and the bass is far weaker than I had imagined. Can anyone with experience with the 05 DT770s connected to the Zero without a dedicated amp comment on this?

I heard some people had good experiences with this setup but it's not happening for me. I've gotten the suggestion to pick up a dedicated amp but I'm skeptical at the moment but I'm willing to try it out.

I'm seriously considering selling these, but as my first real set of cans, I'd feel terrible for ending my hifi experience this early
frown.gif
but I think I'd be happier finding something more fitting.

Anyways, any suggestions or comments would be very much appreciated. I'd really like to find that 'thundering' bass everyone's talking about
beyersmile.png

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #7,953 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by solessthanthree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel bad for posting this in here, but I've spent the last two weeks reading three hundred of the pages in this thread as well as some others. From what I've read the Zero should be able to drive the 80ohm DT770s but I purchased the 250ohm 05 consumer edition and the bass is far weaker than I had imagined. Can anyone with experience with the 05 DT770s connected to the Zero without a dedicated amp comment on this?

I heard some people had good experiences with this setup but it's not happening for me. I've gotten the suggestion to pick up a dedicated amp but I'm skeptical at the moment but I'm willing to try it out.

I'm seriously considering selling these, but as my first real set of cans, I'd feel terrible for ending my hifi experience this early
frown.gif

Anyways, any suggestions or comments would be very much appreciated. I'd really like to find that 'thundering' bass everyone's talking about
beyersmile.png

Hello,
I just sold a one week old set of those today. It is not the Zero's fault. Those phones are limited in the Base dept. Has nothing to do with the amp or dac. If you bought them in the amazon deal, you can get your money back easily. I sold mine for what I paid for them $114.

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #7,954 of 9,388
A few quick questions:

Is this the earth leg of the RCA jack that I am supposed to solder the ground wire of the HDAM to?

3047841514_0e130cf4d4.jpg

I have my HDAM positioned here. Is this a good spot? As you can see, I have a 200mm extension lead, so I can really move it around.

3047007393_94466e62c7.jpg

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #7,956 of 9,388
Quote:

Hey solessthanthree! I do not really have any solid advise to give you, more than that if you're thinking of getting another set of cans with more bass, maybe you should check out Sony's new XB(eXtra Bass) headphones.

Quote:

my zero last stage of mod .... :p

WOW, what is all that?

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #7,957 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deftoned /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey solessthanthree! I do not really have any solid advise to give you, more than that if you're thinking of getting another set of cans with more bass, maybe you should check out Sony's new XB(eXtra Bass) headphones.

WOW, what is all that?

tube output stage

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #7,958 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by cuoreboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ksc75smile.gif

This needs to be posted in the Zero Mod Thread rather than here. Congratulations though, it's completely crazy...great stuff!

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #7,959 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by cuoreboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ksc75smile.gif

img2562zh9.jpg

Ahhhh, Dude, You're runnin' out of chassis there.

SOMEBODY STOOOPPPP ME! STOPPP ME BEFORE I MOD AGAIN!!!

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #7,960 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone's interested, I had another listen to the HDAMs after some burning in. The Moon I reckon is the one to go for, having the most soundstage of the three, the Sun being the most "in your face" and the Earth being in between.

Which HDAM unit should I go for to combo with the D2000? I want to make the D2000 sounds smoother especially in the treble and mids region. I reckon based on my findings in this thread the 'earth' would be the most suitable but I'm open to other suggestions.

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #7,961 of 9,388
Quote:

frown.gif

beyersmile.png

The Zero happily drives my 600ohm Senns. You may find that particular models of opamp give you a greater sense of bass depth, but I do suspect it would be trying to cure an inherent design characteristic of the cans themselves, rather than the DAC/amp itself.

~Phewl.

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #7,962 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Zero happily drives my 600ohm Senns. You may find that particular models of opamp give you a greater sense of bass depth, but I do suspect it would be trying to cure an inherent design characteristic of the cans themselves, rather than the DAC/amp itself.

~Phewl.

Ahhh... I see. Thanks for all the great advice guys. Alas, I've got a lot to learn still and I think I just need to look around a bit more to get what I'm really after. I think I'll end up selling these anyways and pick up the 80ohm version once I get my post count up :] and then maybe pick up a dedicated amp. Thanks again everyone!

And also, cuoreboy, that's a monstrosity
beyersmile.png
sure lives up to its name! Awesome job!

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #7,963 of 9,388
Quote:

Ahhh... I see. Thanks for all the great advice guys. Alas, I've got a lot to learn still and I think I just need to look around a bit more to get what I'm really after. I think I'll end up selling these anyways and pick up the 80ohm version once I get my post count up :] and then maybe pick up a dedicated amp. Thanks again everyone!

And also, cuoreboy, that's a monstrosity
beyersmile.png
sure lives up to its name! Awesome job!

You will most likely like the 80 ohm pro's better. Also, the Head amp in the Zero is pretty good, don't sell it short!

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #7,964 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which HDAM unit should I go for to combo with the D2000? I want to make the D2000 sounds smoother especially in the treble and mids region. I reckon based on my findings in this thread the 'earth' would be the most suitable but I'm open to other suggestions.

I'm personally recommending the Moon, because of the greater soundstage. That being said, "soundstage" in headphones is an illusion of slight differences in EQ.

With the D2000s though, how long have you had them? They tend to be a bit harsh in the treble initially, which goes away with some hours of use.

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #7,965 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will most likely like the 80 ohm pro's better. Also, the Head amp in the Zero is pretty good, don't sell it short!

The Zero in itself is a great unit for the price, but I'm of the persuasion that its builtin headphone amp section just doesn't compare to a real, separate amp. I recently purchased a Heed CanAmp to pair with my K701, but even with my '05 DT770 the improvement is phenomenal. That said, I'm extremely happy with the Zero as a source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back