Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Nov 22, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #7,981 of 9,388
I'm sorry to step in and change the subject guys but I have a problem that I need you to help me solve it.

I have a sound imbalance and I was wondering if the DAC portion of the ZERO could be responsible. If so, I would have to purchase another DAC?

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #7,982 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Far be it for me to comment on another man's knob (
biggrin.gif
) but that is one sweet piece of aluminum Les !!!

Post a pic or two when you have it installed....I'm curious to see if this style works with the Zero....I bet it will look really cool.

Peete.

My Knob says thanx for noticing!

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #7,983 of 9,388
Zero arrived today (it shipped Tuesday and got here this afternoon, very impressed). My first visual impression was that this thing is MUCH larger than I anticipated. For whatever reason I got the idea that this thing wasn't too much bigger than a Sonic Impact T-Amp Gen2, boy was I wrong. Before hooking anything up I cracked it open to confirm the presence of the OPA627, which it did have, and that's where I ran into the first, and currently only, QC issue. The screwhole on the lower left hand corner (looking at the Zero from the front) was stripped. I had to guide the screw out with a flat head screwdriver.

As far as sound quality goes, compared to coming straight from the X-Fi, the Zero sounds just a tad bit sharper and more detailed but feels weaker (its doesn't seem as loud at a corresponding volume setting compared to the X-Fi). In short, it sounds great to me. I've only tried the headphone port once so far, and I got the impression that it didn't sound as good compared to plugging straight into the X-Fi, but then I probably need to give it some serious play time so it can settle in.

Just for the benefit of not having to sniff around the back of my computer anymore makes this an excellent buy for me. The sound quality is just a very pleasant bonus!

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #7,985 of 9,388
ah ha. I can see the silver cable. the arrow u pointed is correct. there are 3 pins on the pcb, the mid one is ground and it is a better choice.

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #7,988 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It only matters if you are going to do something like kernel streaming or ASIO. USB might not have enough bandwidth for ASIO so if you are going to go that route you should go with spdif without the usb conversion.

I don't think kernel streaming or ASIO will affect the output bandwidth. They are just ways to bypass the Windows KMixer, which contributes about 30ms latency into your output path, and it's not reducible. The bandwidth requirement for CD audio is 44.1K x 16 x 2, which is around 1.4Mbps, far from exceeding the limit of full speed USB 1.1 (12Mbps). So bandwidth should not become your major concern here. Budget USB/SPDIF converters tend to output mediocre SPDIF signal, mainly because of their cheap design and implementation. USB/optical devices also add another layer of AD/DA into conversion process, thus increase jitter. USB/coaxial converters are born better, IMO.

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #7,989 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I bought a fiber optic cable to connect my playstation, but it does not fit my zero. Do I need a mini-toslink adapter. One of those 3.5mm things?

I'm surprised that your Zero did not come with a optical cable. Zero accepts ordinary toslink, not the mini-type. So you don't need the adapter. Try turn the plug until it fits ...

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #7,990 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by x_lk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think kernel streaming or ASIO will affect the output bandwidth. They are just ways to bypass the Windows KMixer, which contributes about 30ms latency into your output path, and it's not reducible. The bandwidth requirement for CD audio is 44.1K x 16 x 2, which is around 1.4Mbps, far from exceeding the limit of full speed USB 1.1 (12Mbps). So bandwidth should not become your major concern here. Budget USB/SPDIF converters tend to output mediocre SPDIF signal, mainly because of their cheap design and implementation. USB/optical devices also add another layer of AD/DA into conversion process, thus increase jitter. USB/coaxial converters are born better, IMO.

thanks for the clarification. so assuming i wish to use the zero with a laptop without spdif out, the best option would be to get a usb/coax converter? how much would a really good one cost?

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #7,992 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by athenaesword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the clarification. so assuming i wish to use the zero with a laptop without spdif out, the best option would be to get a usb/coax converter? how much would a really good one cost?

USB Off-Ramp Turbo-2 ~$1000 ... I guess you don't want to spend 10x Zero price on a converter
icon10.gif

Unfortunately, all USB sound cards I know with a coaxial output cost $200+. If you don't mind their high price tag, either M-Audio or EMU will serve the purpose very well, IMO. Personally, I use a modified SIIG USB SoundWave 7.1. I opened its shell and added a male RCA plug to directly couple CM102's SPDIF output to Zero's SPDIF input - no SPDIF cable required, yeah! It costs me less than $20
beerchug.gif
I know it's a rather crappy sound card, but to my ears, CM102's digital output sounds exactly the same comparing to the SPDIF from my M-Audio AP192 (~$150).

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #7,993 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by x_lk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USB Off-Ramp Turbo-2 ~$1000 ... I guess you don't want to spend 10x Zero price on a converter
icon10.gif

Unfortunately, all USB sound cards with coaxial output I know cost $200+. If you don't mind their high price tag, either M-Audio or EMU will serve the purpose very well, IMO. Personally, I use a modified USB SoundWave 7.1. I opened its shell and added a male RCA plug to directly couple CM102's SPDIF output to Zero's SPDIF input - no SPDIF cable required, yeah! It costs me less than $20
beerchug.gif
I know it's a rather crappy sound card, but to my ears, CM102's digital output sounds exactly the same comparing to the SPDIF from my M-Audio AP192 (~$150).

lol issit possible to mod the zero with a usb then hahah

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #7,995 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by athenaesword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol issit possible to mod the zero with a usb then hahah

I was thinking of putting the USB sound card inside Zero - it's tiny and bus powered, so should be very doable. But I didn't bother drilling the back of Zero, leaving it outside for now ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back