Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 23, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #5,521 of 9,388
Here you go:-

н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

I reckon it's about time the first post of this thread had this information put in it... we're often asked for sellers details and HDAM suppliers...

~Phewl.

Aug 23, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #5,522 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doorknob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading about this Sun and Earth upgrade but can't find a place where to buy them.

Any sites that ship them to USA?

audio-gd

Woops, AP beat me to it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #5,524 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by alxwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks good. But I am doing something else and you will think I am really crazy - LOL. I am working on a computer power supply !! Now it is still testing and measure. I got some transform from local shop which are very cheap. The solder job is done. Now I am just testing again and again before I hook up something to do the damage test - for sure not the Zero - just some junk stuff to make sure the PS and transform works.

A computer PS can handle a motherboard works stable so I really want to try.

Thats actually a really good idea Alex....comp power supplies are noisy beasts.

Here's a thought with regards to the wellborne site's reg board and transformer....I bet a reg board and transformer just for the DAC HDAM would be a very good tweak. The 15V or 18V @ 1A should do the job nicely. Could run all three like this off the sep reg and tranny
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I'll try it...what would you suggest, stick with 15V or go with 18V ? I'm thinking 15V but would like to hear your input on the idea please
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

PS AP what are your thoughts on this idea ?

Aug 24, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #5,525 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats actually a really good idea Alex....comp power supplies are noisy beasts.

Here's a thought with regards to the wellborne site's reg board and transformer....I bet a reg board and transformer just for the DAC HDAM would be a very good tweak. The 15V or 18V @ 1A should do the job nicely. Could run all three like this off the sep reg and tranny
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I'll try it...what would you suggest, stick with 15V or go with 18V ? I'm thinking 15V but would like to hear your input on the idea please
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

PS AP what are your thoughts on this idea ?

What most important is find the sweetest volts for the HADM. I assume it is not 18 or 15 maybe 16.37? I think it is depend the listener's feel at all. But I at least need a get a adjustable power input so I can test it myself then ...

For the PS of Computer I found out get one from used small factor IBM computer(used) will be best. They are around 150-200 watt and really quiet and small. I used a wood jewelry box and put 2 PS in which give me 8 15V output and 2 5V output. About the power cable just get some computer power connection cable and take off one side to solder.

I got 2 from local used computer ship which cost me 10$ total.

My problem now is the part I got for adjust volt is piece of crap and I am going to return them.

Any suggestion to get a small cheap but good board can let me adjust volts at a stable current? I want something can output me from 15.0-18.0 with 30 steps? I am asking too much I guess.

Aug 24, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #5,526 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mars attacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone please explain what's the point in adding new power supply circuitry for the analog stage? The Zero's transformer already has a separate winding for the analog section, which feeds its own independent voltage regulation, so why add yet more heat sources inside that already buring-hot box?

Let me try:

the sun/earth is designed to replace op627/ne5532 but it will performance different when the input volts changes.

Also no one really know how much the PS in zero can output and it is always good idea to have pre-amp and headphone amp have it's own power input I guess.

The last reason is do it to have some fun.
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 24, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #5,527 of 9,388
Finally got my Zero DAC from a local seller. Here’s my first impression.
Removed the 6 mounting screws for the cover, found one of them wrong type (wrong thread). I might consider replacing all of them with the copper type.
On the inside, most but not all the components are neatly soldered onto the board.
I connect it to my universal player Oppo DV-970HD using the supplied optical cable. I never own an optical cable before. I found the connection point kind of loose (both at the player & DAC side). Perhaps this is normal. If this is true, I rather go for the coaxial digital cable.
Now for the sound using a budget Philips headphone. Good stereo separation, good clarity & better bass extension. BTW, mine is the stock op-amp (2604).
When I switched off the main, there’s a pop sound from the headphone, is this normal?
Will plan to set it up & output to my stereo amp & speakers in the coming days.

Aug 24, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #5,528 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by alxwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me try:

the sun/earth is designed to replace op627/ne5532 but it will performance different when the input volts changes.

Also no one really know how much the PS in zero can output and it is always good idea to have pre-amp and headphone amp have it's own power input I guess.

The last reason is do it to have some fun.
ksc75smile.gif

Well Audio-gd has remarked the supply voltage to the OPA (output stage) is important. It does affects the sound quality.

The reason in adding the power supply to the output stage (instead of the power supply provided by the ZERO DAC) is also to provide the stability of supply in times of heavy drain to current (in that split second).

A lot of highend DAC has so many power supply groups that amaze me. If u check audio-gd DAC, there is no less than 15 DC power supply group (and 50,000 uF capacitor storage lol)

Aug 24, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #5,529 of 9,388
That pretty much has convinced me to go with a separate HDAM reg board and transformer CC. Should be a very easy installation but will be darned tight in that stock chassis.

Alex did you say you live in the GTA area ? There is an amazing electronics store on Queen St W near CityTV that has everything under the sun, vintage and new. I used to live within walking distance of it years ago but now live 60 klms away so it's no longer practical for me to visit...

Peete.

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #5,531 of 9,388
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I got a headache after 300 pages.
smily_headphones1.gif

Can I use three OPA-SUNs in the Zero? Or perhaps a OPA-EARTH in the DAC section and TWO OPA-SUNs in the headphone section? If you can use more than one do you combine the ground and then attach to a central point or no?

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #5,532 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mars attacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I appreciate the effort
biggrin.gif
but, in my opinion:

A well-designed opamp shouldn't vary its performance with supply voltage that much; if it does, it has some problems. Typical opamps at least don't do that. Anyway the Zero's +/-15V should be perfect for most opamps and especially for these discrete ones; except for those that don't tolerate above +/-12V like the AD8620, for instance.

Secondly, if the Sun and Earth really take 22 and 28 mA each respectively, then the Zero's power supply will have no problems really to feed them properly.

The only benefit I see is when using the internal headphone amp, since the lower draw from the +/-15V regulators might just yield some microscopic sonic benefit...

For the sheer fun part, I have no problems to agree.
ksc75smile.gif

I can not comment whether the sun/earth is well designed because my limited knowledge..
But it will sound different with different volt. Which one is best is based on personal feeling. Just like the cable of cans everyone has his own best choice but really none cable will be best.
Basically try it and find out the best for myself is the main reason to do it.

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #5,533 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by AcidMelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I got a headache after 300 pages.
smily_headphones1.gif

Can I use three OPA-SUNs in the Zero? Or perhaps a OPA-EARTH in the DAC section and TWO OPA-SUNs in the headphone section? If you can use more than one do you combine the ground and then attach to a central point or no?

you can do whatever you want as long as keep two same module in headphone amp section. Which combo is better - you decide.

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #5,534 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That pretty much has convinced me to go with a separate HDAM reg board and transformer CC. Should be a very easy installation but will be darned tight in that stock chassis.

Alex did you say you live in the GTA area ? There is an amazing electronics store on Queen St W near CityTV that has everything under the sun, vintage and new. I used to live within walking distance of it years ago but now live 60 klms away so it's no longer practical for me to visit...

Peete.

I am not - I am in central of Canada. So I do not have a lot shopping resource here. I just visit the shop again and get back something else - I will try them today. Thanks PP for the info anyway.

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #5,535 of 9,388
hi everyone... excuse for my noob question... but i can't manage the whole thing.

i'm from italy, i have just bought the zero...

i want to upgrade it...

but

the thread is so big and i'm losing myself in it...

the best solutions for upgrade are 2xOPA627 + 2x LT1364 or 1x HDAM + 2xLT1364 right?

1) where can i buy this components?

2) how much do they cost?

3) the HDAM goes in the same place where goes the OPA627?

4) do i need some other things?

Thanks if you help me...

Fabio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back