Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 22, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #5,461 of 9,388
I got mine from Lawrence since he will upgrade your opams.

Anyways that is pretty quick and good job on the repair. What phones are you using right now and what music are you listening to right now. I want hear your description to see if they sound similar to what I am hearing.

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #5,462 of 9,388
I assume you were asking me -- using my HD600s almost exclusively these days (except when I need closed phones). I'm not great at these descriptions of what I hear, but I'd say it just sounds more - lively. More dynamic. There's more punch to the lows, more conrol in the mids and hi's - seems like the slight sibilance I was getting in vocals is gone, too. I don't use the amp very much at all (go to my LD MKIII) so I can't speak to that yet, but as a DAC the Sun is easily better than the OPA627.

Thought I should add that when I told Kingwa I was able to fix it, he said that was great news, apologized for the poor quality of the leads, and offered a discount on future purchases. Very nice gesture, I thought. Greeeaatt.... just what I need, an excuse to buy more stuff!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #5,463 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha! Well I did it. Honestly the hardest part was stripping that dang tiny little wire. I practiced about 25 times on ll different wires and STILL snipped the end the first time! The thing is super thin and TOUGH - much tougher than other cables I tried.

Anyway, worked out in the end - Sun is in there and working, sound fantastic - just what I was missing (I think so far... time for burn-in!). Attaching to the unit itself was MUCH easier than attaching to the adapter (or plug or whatever). Oh I did this with no helping hand tool, just APs advice for taping.

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice. Soldering is ridiculously easy and much less expensive than I thought. Oh and no pictures because A - I'm NOT taking this thing out anytime soon, and B - I don't feel like being scrutinized today!
smily_headphones1.gif

But you must submit... to the central scrutinizer
smily_headphones1.gif
( a line from Frank Zappa )

Great job Scottie...!!!! It's fun too..in a weird sort of (geek like) way isn't it ?
biggrin.gif

No pics needed..just optional...but I don't blame you for not wanting to disturb it...

Peete.

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #5,464 of 9,388
Ok, I have taken some time to listen to both the OPA-SUN and OPA-EARTH and here are my early impressions. Notice that all impression were done with HD580's and neither the Sun nor the Earth were properly burned in.

The Earth has a slightly more bright presentation with a lager soundstage. In fact the soundstage is so spacious on the earth you sometimes second guess the fact that you are actually listening to headphones and not speakers. I have also noticed the earth's sound is slightly more textured.

The Sun is a slightly more dark intament presentation. The soundstage is still really good but is not as wide. The bottom end on the Sun is slighly more pronounced which can be desired on certain music.

Overall I have decided that I enjoy the Earth better then the Sun in the DAC section of my Zero. Although the Sun does have some pretty cool green lights.

Oh yea I also installed the units using cardboard very similar to what AudioPhewl did one page back.

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #5,465 of 9,388
kejar31: That's interesting - I put the Sun in first and will have to have a go with the Earth soon. I agree about the bottom end with the Sun - the very low notes have a lot of power, whereas the midbass I feel is slightly less than it was with opamps.

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #5,466 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Great job Scottie...!!!! It's fun too..in a weird sort of (geek like) way isn't it ?
biggrin.gif

No pics needed..just optional...but I don't blame you for not wanting to disturb it...

Peete.

It IS kinda fun... and I'm most definitely a geek
tongue_smile.gif
It's kind of empowering to know how many more things I can fix - and how EASY it is! Like in a twisted kinda way I don't have to be quite so gentle with things anymore. Or I should say, I no longer have to worry about my meat hands (which aren't capable of being gentle).

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #5,467 of 9,388
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

Peete.

I too am with SUN and EARTH today. I have the new SUN sat in one ZERO and my previous burnt in HDAM (AKA EARTH) sat in another DAC. After listening to some ORB, AMY WINEHOUSE and BAHAUS I can't say that there is an awful lot between them at this point. I'll have to burn in the SUN unit for longer of course, but at this point I have to give the nod to HDAM-EARTH.

Keep it greasy, so ...

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #5,468 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kejar31: That's interesting - I put the Sun in first and will have to have a go with the Earth soon. I agree about the bottom end with the Sun - the very low notes have a lot of power, whereas the midbass I feel is slightly less than it was with opamps.

You know, although I haven't tried my Earth and probably won't for a while, when I first read the descriptions I thought I'd like the Earth more - sounded like it may be more neutral, and perhaps have more detail.

Then I read that most were going with the Earth first and a few early but glowing reviews of the Sun - so I figured I break the mold and go Sun first. I likey so far!

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #5,469 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although the Sun does have some pretty cool green lights.

I'm been looking at using an acrylic cover on another project. An acrylic cover for the ZERO may work. Maybe even an entirely acrylic case
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #5,470 of 9,388
Good job kejar31....these things are difficult to describe and have it mean anything. You managed to give it real meaning...thanks

Peete.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #5,471 of 9,388
You know I noticed something else when using the SUN. When using it in line out mode to my speaker rig for burn-in, I noticed I was still getting a small amount of the signal leaking into my headphones. I'm wondering if others have noticed as well? It does not happen with the Earth.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #5,472 of 9,388
Quote:

Good job kejar31....these things are difficult to describe and have it mean anything. You managed to give it real meaning...thanks

Peete.

Thanks Peete! You can call me Justin though
L3000.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #5,473 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ianp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too am with SUN and EARTH today. I have the new SUN sat in one ZERO and my previous burnt in HDAM (AKA EARTH) sat in another DAC. After listening to some ORB, AMY WINEHOUSE and BAHAUS I can't say that there is an awful lot between them at this point. I'll have to burn in the SUN unit for longer of course, but at this point I have to give the nod to HDAM-EARTH.

Keep it greasy, so ...

Peter Murphy !!!! Great voice on that skinny person
smily_headphones1.gif
Dances like a bat on acid though
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #5,474 of 9,388
Quote:

Thanks Peete! You can call me Justin though
L3000.gif

Ok Justin...
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #5,475 of 9,388
Quote:

You know I noticed something else when using the SUN. When using it in line out mode to my speaker rig for burn-in, I noticed I was still getting a small amount of the signal leaking into my headphones. I'm wondering if others have noticed as well? It does not happen with the Earth.

Most likely the gain difference between the two modules. My best guess so far since my modules haven't arrived yet.....

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back