Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Aug 22, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #5,476 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ianp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm been looking at using an acrylic cover on another project. An acrylic cover for the ZERO may work. Maybe even an entirely acrylic case
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool.....I like the acrylic look as well...kinda late 60's early 70's sorta thing..oops dating myself a little....
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #5,477 of 9,388
Actually I am think why not just cut the top panel of zero then extend some room for HDAM and power board. Maybe an 400 rpm 120mm fan on to will be nice too.

PP: I order the power board already. The un-release version. One of my friend in China help me to order them and will ship them to me with Zero. They do not have US$ price for them yet.

When they arrived my Zero will have two power supply - I do not know how to get power from power supply build in zero and I think 2 power input zero will be fun.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #5,478 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by alxwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I am think why not just cut the top panel of zero then extend some room for HDAM and power board. Maybe an 400 rpm 120mm fan on to will be nice too.

PP: I order the power board already. The un-release version. One of my friend in China help me to order them and will ship them to me with Zero. They do not have US$ price for them yet.

When they arrived my Zero will have two power supply - I do not know how to get power from power supply build in zero and I think 2 power input zero will be fun.

I agree...that should be a big improvement....cool ...I'm totally interested in this...

Thanks for taking the chance Alex...who knows where it will lead...that's the fun part..other than listening once things are installed
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #5,479 of 9,388
Anyone interested in selling an OPA-Earth that they might have laying around after choosing the Sun?

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #5,480 of 9,388
Hi all,
Can the OPA-Sun or OPA-Earth dual channel be installed directly into the socket without the extension leads? I mean are they obstructed by the surrounding components?
Another question: overall is the Zero DAC & the OPA-Sun or OPA-Earth run hot?
Thinking of modifying the cover with a small fan installed like what someone has mentioned.

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #5,482 of 9,388
I have a couple of thoughts on some of the mods you guys are talking about doing to your Zeros. They might not mean anything, and might be totally worthless, but here goes:

If heat (normal lid installed) is an issue, why not drill air holes down low say in the bottom of the case, toward the front of the Zero, so that natural convection will pull in room temp air at the bottom front, and push hot air out the existing vents in the top toward the rear?

The box the Zero is built into, serves to keep it clean, make it operational, and to protect it from outside interference (to a degree), and allow for stacking of components. If you have an HDAM sticking out of the top of the unit, how many of these things have now been violated?? For me, it just seems counter productive to subject the Zero to possible interference.

If I was going to make more room in the Zero for modules and other upgrades, I would be looking to move the transformer out of the case and into it's own dedicated (protected) case. This might be much easier to accomplish than other removals, and it would provide a bunch of room in the Zero's case.

Just some thoughts. Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #5,483 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I was going to make more room in the Zero for modules and other upgrades, I would be looking to move the transformer out of the case and into it's own dedicated (protected) case. This might be much easier to accomplish than other removals, and it would provide a bunch of room in the Zero's case.

Just some thoughts. Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Exactly!
Do you know where I can buy pre-build good transformer at reasonable price which can ship to Canada? I am think move the transformer to another box plus add two more for the head phone amp.

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #5,484 of 9,388
Quote:

Exactly!
Do you know where I can buy pre-build good transformer at reasonable price which can ship to Canada? I am think move the transformer to another box plus add two more for the head phone amp.

No, but I bet Lawrence would know. Shoot him an email and see what he can come up with.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #5,485 of 9,388
The gold or silver standard size rack mount that LC sells would be ideal for what you want to do Alex...it will allow for any number of config variations and look good when finished...for 60 US it's a pretty a good deal. You could direct mount the HDAMS...by taking the sockets out and soldering the HDAM directly to the pcb...that is the best solution by far with regards to HDAM installation. Of course any case you want to use is fine...I am merely offering some suggestions for your consideration.

I may do this later on myself when you have worked out how to implement the cards from audio-gd. I don't think it's possible to separate the digital from analog power supplies on the main pcb without radical trace cutting (if it even can be done), although replacing the 4 stock regulators on the main pcb with modules from audio-gd should improve SNR and SQ. To what degree these cards will improve things is a complete unknown at this point. From and engineering standpoint refining the power supply is always a good thing or so I'm told
smily_headphones1.gif

In the interests of current happenings this type of project for me is on the back burner for quite some time and may be gilding on the lily so to speak in light of the current revisions of my Zero. It may be better to use a different main board pcb design for a Super build such as the DIY DAC project I'm currently working on.. just some additional thoughts. I think the Zero though would certainly be worthwhile for what your considering Alex...combined with what Pench and I have done..it could be a giant killer (in it's price point vs SQ )...a term I rarely use because of it's contentious nature.

Peete.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #5,486 of 9,388
Hi all,

Thought I'd elaborate more on my impressions of the sun. In my first post after getting it installed, I said "now I am hearing what I was missing" or something like that. What I mean by that (which solidified as I stayed up entirely too late listening to music and playing Team Fortress) was that the little details are now there - things like reverb and the decay of sounds like cymbals and echo sound MUCH more realistic and noticeable. I'm a detail junkie and there is instantly more noticeable detail with the Sun unit. Another way to describe it would be that it sounds more well-rounded. The sound is fuller, lacking any signs of "digital harshness" that were there with the OPA627. Also seems to have more punch - like it is "faster" if that makes sense. My tastes in music are so diverse I confuse even myself sometimes, but I've yet to try anything that doesn't sound better... So what if I was way late to work this morning! I can't wait to get home and listen MORE! Oh and I need those Heavy achievements - the SANDVICH will be MINE!

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #5,487 of 9,388
I am not sure where I should put this question but I try here first:

Will iBasso D2 Boa USB DAC performance better then Zero(earth/sun upgraded) with HD580/denon D2000? For sure I am talking about Zero's headphone output.

Anyone has them or has done any comparetion?
Thanks.

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #5,488 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AP sometimes one has to take a leap of faith and forget what the brain is telling them. Trust me when I say the 1 uf cap tweak works...you haven't seen the size of this cap...it's massive...as big as 3300uf 25V Nichicon PW.

I was dubious of it as you are now...check Burson Audio for the tweak for greater details...anyhow I tried it figuring I have a whole of pile these caps on hand what have I got to loose....so I installed it and let it burn in for over 250 hours ..the 1 uf cap went through it's known stages and in the end when it had formed...there was a noticible increase in transient speed, clarity, and dynamics...I'll be darned if I can explain why exactly..but for a 50 cent tweak I"ll take it. I used Russian K42Y-2 160V PIO mil spec NOS cap....what else can I say...try it..don't try it....either way is cool bro
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

I don't disbelieve it - I can see perfect logic in having a store of power so close to the HDAM, especially considering it'll likely be pulling more juice than an opamp would. And I can see the benefits of having that power source filtered.

But... this is why I'm having problems understanding the mod. Surely it makes more sense to have an electrolytic - or huuuuge film capacitor - there to provide the above benefits? I'm struggling to see what good a small film capacitor can bring, given the current requirements of the HDAM...

Maybe it's just me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Scottie - glad you sorted it out
smily_headphones1.gif
. The first thing is always the hardest, you'll quickly get the hang of soldering and be wanting to take on new projects!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound is fuller...
...Also seems to have more punch - like it is "faster" if that makes sense...

Spot-on, in my humble opinion with my limited experience of the two. Delivery feels fast and faultless, like everything is timed to perfection. And it does so without losing any detail or definition.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #5,489 of 9,388
Quote:

I am not sure where I should put this question but I try here first:

Will iBasso D2 Boa USB DAC performance better then Zero(earth/sun upgraded) with HD580/denon D2000? For sure I am talking about Zero's headphone output.

Anyone has them or has done any comparetion?
Thanks.

You are comparing a portable amp to a full sized amp which are in the same price range. Great portable amps cost much more.

Aug 22, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #5,490 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are comparing a portable amp to a full sized amp which are in the same price range. Great portable amps cost much more.

So you mean maybe something like pico can compare? If that's true I think I just get another zero then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back