Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 24, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #1,051 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ask anyone here, and they will tell you that critical listening right out of the box is completely unrevealing.
rolleyes.gif
Also, the DAC Opamp changed to LT1364 and not changing the headphone board Opamps will sound like Poo. Better to leave in the OPA2604 until you get some more time on the clock and more Opamps.

I found the same thing. It sounded awful at first then it got better, much better! The stock op amps in the headphone amp sounded crap! Definitely change them when you can. It does take a while to sound better but its worth it.

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #1,052 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUSHIE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So mine simply isn't working.

I've tried my pc, my ps2, and a DVD player and it didn't work with any.

When I press the headphone button and the green light comes on, the other 2 blue lights pretty much turn all the way off. I'm thinking thats kind of a problem...

Email Lawrence and tell him what is going on. He has trouble shooting steps that may fix the problem. The blue lights going off will most likely mean something to him. Good luck!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #1,053 of 9,388
My Zero has arrived to Finland. It will probably go to next week when I can collect my dac (again) from customs.

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #1,054 of 9,388
Quote:

Ask anyone here, and they will tell you that critical listening right out of the box is completely unrevealing.
rolleyes.gif
Also, the DAC Opamp changed to LT1364 and not changing the headphone board Opamps will sound like Poo. Better to leave in the OPA2604 until you get some more time on the clock and more Opamps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the same thing. It sounded awful at first then it got better, much better! The stock op amps in the headphone amp sounded crap! Definitely change them when you can. It does take a while to sound better but its worth it.

Yeah i know the ZERO DAC needs time to burn in, i was just giving my first impression out of the box thats all. I also agree with you guys that the stock opamp in the headphone board are crap and should be change if anyone plan to use the headphone out.

I going to get a LD MK V or IVse in china when i go there next week. So i have no plan to upgrade the opamp in the headphone board.

BTW, Penchum, have you had a chance to try 2 x AD797 on browndog in L-channel and 2 x AD797 on browndog in R-channel in the headphone board?

i read a while back that you have got them. So total of four AD797s in headphone board, they definitely fit thats for sure.
I dont have enough to try myself only have 2 x AD797 on browndog.

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #1,055 of 9,388
My zero is on its way and i have some LT Opamps. LT1361CN8, 1361CN8#PBF, 1364CN8#PBF, 1469IN8#PBF. Wich can i use in the headphone section and wich one in DAC?
confused.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #1,056 of 9,388
Quote:

Dac / Amp :

LT1361 + LT1469 DAC=good, phone=good

LT1361 + LT1364 DAC=good, phone=great

LT1364 + LT1469 DAC=great, phone=great

LT1364 + LT1361 DAC=great, phone=great

LT1469 + LT1364 DAC=good, phone =good

LT1469 + LT1361 DAC=great, phone=great

This is what Penchum said on the first page...

I'm also interested in this problem, if you could give some details about sound signiture of these opamps.

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #1,057 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah i know the ZERO DAC needs time to burn in, i was just giving my first impression out of the box thats all. I also agree with you guys that the stock opamp in the headphone board are crap and should be change if anyone plan to use the headphone out.

I going to get a LD MK V or IVse in china when i go there next week. So i have no plan to upgrade the opamp in the headphone board.

BTW, Penchum, have you had a chance to try 2 x AD797 on browndog in L-channel and 2 x AD797 on browndog in R-channel in the headphone board?

i read a while back that you have got them. So total of four AD797s in headphone board, they definitely fit thats for sure.
I dont have enough to try myself only have 2 x AD797 on browndog.

Well, that was the plan, but there isn't enough physical space for the adapters, so we're stuck with single (dual) Opamps. So far, the "winner" in the headphone board has been the LT1469s. Worth looking into for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #1,058 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by davve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My zero is on its way and i have some LT Opamps. LT1361CN8, 1361CN8#PBF, 1364CN8#PBF, 1469IN8#PBF. Wich can i use in the headphone section and wich one in DAC?
confused.gif

Give the LT1364 in the DAC and LT1469s in the headphone board a try. This seems to be a well liked combination.
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #1,059 of 9,388
My Zero arrived today and is burning in for the next little while.....Couldn't resist though and right now the mids are great, bass little weak and the highs very harsh...Looking forward to hearing it once it settles in.....and with the opamps replaced
icon10.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #1,060 of 9,388
I'm sorry if this question has been repeated multiple times (have you tried searching this thread for "opamps" or "LT"?....
eek.gif
), but for someone who is about to receive their Zero & has no opamps whatsoever....what would you suggest? I'm planning to get a handful from linear.com (that is where people have been getting their LT's from, right?), such as LT1469, LT1361, LT1364. Any others recommended from them as long as I'm ordering? Also, did someone mention earlier on about free samples from them...or am I just out in my own little world!?

Where else should I be ordering from for "must-have" opamps?

Thanks everybody for all of the help & info you provide....even if the thread gets to be a little overwhelming
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
!

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #1,061 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantztiludrop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry if this question has been repeated multiple times (have you tried searching this thread for "opamps" or "LT"?....
eek.gif
), but for someone who is about to receive their Zero & has no opamps whatsoever....what would you suggest? I'm planning to get a handful from linear.com (that is where people have been getting their LT's from, right?), such as LT1469, LT1361, LT1364. Any others recommended from them as long as I'm ordering? Also, did someone mention earlier on about free samples from them...or am I just out in my own little world!?

Where else should I be ordering from for "must-have" opamps?

Thanks everybody for all of the help & info you provide....even if the thread gets to be a little overwhelming
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
!

I think two of each of those three will get you going great! Order the samples.
They take about five to seven days to arrive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #1,062 of 9,388
Quote:

I think two of each of those three will get you going great! Order the samples.
They take about five to seven days to arrive.
smily_headphones1.gif

When you say "samples", does that mean something different than the ones being sold @ linear.com?

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #1,063 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantztiludrop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say "samples", does that mean something different than the ones being sold @ linear.com?

They have the order samples link on each Opamps page, which adds them to your cart, then you check out and give them your information. TaDa! They come in the mail.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #1,064 of 9,388
Quote:

Well, that was the plan, but there isn't enough physical space for the adapters, so we're stuck with single (dual) Opamps. So far, the "winner" in the headphone board has been the LT1469s. Worth looking into for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

There is heaps of space in there unless your version is different to my. I took a few photos with my only 2 x AD797 on browndog.

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #1,065 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is heaps of space in there unless your version is different to my. I took a few photos with my only 2 x AD797 on browndog.

Ow Poop!
eek.gif
My adapters are as wide as deep. They don't fit!
frown.gif
Guess I'll have to find a couple like yours then! Got a link or something for all of us? Thanks man!
smily_headphones1.gif

Here is a pic of mine. You can see the problem. Maybe I can modify it. More later...

IMG_2174.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back