Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 25, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #1,066 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ow Poop!
eek.gif
My adapters are as wide as deep. They don't fit!
frown.gif
Guess I'll have to find a couple like yours then! Got a link or something for all of us? Thanks man!
smily_headphones1.gif

You can buy Single-to-dual Op-AMP Adapter - DIP version from (browndog) cimarrontechnology.com Single-to-dual Op-AMP Adapter - DIP version (p/n 021001) - 021001

Then solder ic socket to the adapter yourself, ic socket you can buy from radioshack.

Parts you need are 2 x Single-to-dual Op-AMP Adapter - DIP version and 4 x IC socket DIP.

If you are too lazy to do all this i believe "HiFlight" a member on this forum sells them already made for about $15 pm him for exact price.

Cheers

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #1,067 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can buy Single-to-dual Op-AMP Adapter - DIP version from (browndog) cimarrontechnology.com Single-to-dual Op-AMP Adapter - DIP version (p/n 021001) - 021001

Then solder ic socket to the adapter yourself, ic socket you can buy from radioshack.

Parts you need are 2 x Single-to-dual Op-AMP Adapter - DIP version and 4 x IC socket DIP.

If you are too lazy to do all this i believe "HiFlight" a member on this forum sells them already made for about $15 pm him for exact price.

Cheers

Thanks! It just didn't occur to me that more than one size adapter was out there.
rolleyes.gif
If you try the AD797s in the headphone amp, keep an eye on them for the first few minutes and make sure they don't heat way up too quickly, or if the highs sound funky. They didn't work well in the DAC at all. It sure would be nice if they did work in the headphone amp!
smily_headphones1.gif
I seem to have enough (with different adapters) to pull it off later.
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #1,069 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUSHIE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the amp require 220V to operate? I notice it says that on the back. It comes with a US power plug, so I'm assuming they are made to operate at 120V.

Mine came with the appropriate US plug but its also switchable from 115 or220 on the back.

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #1,071 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does it sound with the ad797's? Do you have them in he dac as you only showed one set installed in the pics?.

Yeah i only got one set so i couldnt try it in the headphone board i just put it in to take the pics to show there is room inside.

I have not try it in the DAC i believe Penchum has, i think he said it didnt work to well.
confused.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #1,072 of 9,388
Quote:

Thanks! It just didn't occur to me that more than one size adapter was out there.
rolleyes.gif
If you try the AD797s in the headphone amp, keep an eye on them for the first few minutes and make sure they don't heat way up too quickly, or if the highs sound funky. They didn't work well in the DAC at all. It sure would be nice if they did work in the headphone amp!
smily_headphones1.gif
I seem to have enough (with different adapters) to pull it off later.
biggrin.gif

Hey Penchum let us know on how AD797s sound in the headphone board when you get a chance with the new adapters.

Jan 25, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #1,073 of 9,388
Quote:

Yeah i only got one set so i couldnt try it in the headphone board i just put it in to take the pics to show there is room inside.

I have not try it in the DAC i believe Penchum has, i think he said it didnt work to well.
confused.gif

Yeh i wanted to try the opa627 in the headphone amp, but since i discovered the set up i'm using, i'm not going to bother.

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #1,074 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine came with the appropriate US plug but its also switchable from 115 or220 on the back.

Well darn. Mine doesn't.

I suppose I better go find a step up transformer.

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #1,075 of 9,388
Quote:

Does the amp require 220V to operate? I notice it says that on the back. It comes with a US power plug, so I'm assuming they are made to operate at 120V.

Can you take a pic of the back end and post it for us too see?
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #1,076 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeh i wanted to try the opa627 in the headphone amp, but since i discovered the set up i'm using, i'm not going to bother.

I forgot, or missed something. What combination did you finally go with?
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #1,077 of 9,388
Quote:

confused.gif

On the previous page, I put a pic of the adapters I have for you too see. When I tried the AD797s in the DAC, the highs were really strange. Like they were uncontrolled or something. I liked everything else greatly, but those highs were so not proper. Then I was told and I looked it up, that they weren't unity gain stable, and this was the cause of the strange highs. They also got very hot. So I took them out of the testing loop.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #1,079 of 9,388
Quote:

dsc0042bo0.jpg

If I'm not mistaken (and I may be) doesn't that mean 220 is the maximum voltage it can take? Shouldn't this work with his 110V? Someone?

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #1,080 of 9,388
Quote:

If I'm not mistaken (and I may be) doesn't that mean 220 is the maximum voltage it can take? Shouldn't this work with his 110V? Someone?

To me, thats saying its strictly a european version. U.S. you should see 110 or 120 at 60hz. Usually when they are switchable it will list both ratings. I would check into this further before trying a step-up transformer, as I don't think the transformer will change the frequency, I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back