Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 23, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #1,036 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got an email from Lawrence with tracking number this morning as well. Yay!
biggrin.gif

Cool! That's what, Four of you now?
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #1,037 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

I got a tracking number on the 18th, I paid on Dec 28th so there was a delay getting mine out, but no worries. Tracking number indicates it made to the USA on the 21st (yesterday). Probably a few more days till it shows up here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #1,038 of 9,388
I'm already considering what to "do" to the zero after sampling it stock for a reasonable period. I'll probably roll a few op-amps, but I'm wondering if a PPAv2 board can be stuffed into the case in place of the stock amp board ? I just happen to have a complete set of parts for a PPAv2 board in a box somewhere around here
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #1,039 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bada bing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm already considering what to "do" to the zero after sampling it stock for a reasonable period. I'll probably roll a few op-amps, but I'm wondering if a PPAv2 board can be stuffed into the case in place of the stock amp board ? I just happen to have a complete set of parts for a PPAv2 board in a box somewhere around here
evil_smiley.gif

Don't hold me too this, but I'm fairly certain the headphone board in the Zero is better. There were some comments made way back that give me that impression. One thing is sure though. When I changed the Opamp on the DAC board to LT1364 and the two on the headphone board to LT1469s, I about fell out of my chair! Absolutely amazing changes!
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #1,041 of 9,388
Congratulations! The waiting will be cruel...
tongue.gif

Untill my zero will be arrived, I'm thinking of buying a new pair of headphones. I have SR60 and I like very much the mids of this model, but the treble it's a bit harsh for me, the bass I'd prefered to be more thighten and overall sound to be more detalied and clear. I think the SR325 or Alessandro MS2 sound should be more refined, not harsh or muddy.
Have anyone of you this combination? SR325i or MS2 => Zero DAC
Are well driven 32ohm headphones by the Zero amp?

Thank you.

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #1,042 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by bada bing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Cute avatar, not that I have blond hair but it reminds me of myself when I was little. Johnny, don't touch the burner, it's hot! Johnny touched the burner. Johnny, don't stick your finger in there! that is where a light bulb goes and it will hurt you! Johnny had to test this premiss not once, but twice and then periodically, stepping up the voltage, for most of his life starting from the 120 to 240 and finally on my preamp power supply I was building, a well capacitated 720 volts. Know what your own burning flesh smells like? I do. Well they never said, "Johnnnny, don't cook that!"

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #1,043 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andreas_D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations! The waiting will be cruel...
tongue.gif

Untill my zero will be arrived, I'm thinking of buying a new pair of headphones. I have SR60 and I like very much the mids of this model, but the treble it's a bit harsh for me, the bass I'd prefered to be more thighten and overall sound to be more detalied and clear. I think the SR325 or Alessandro MS2 sound should be more refined, not harsh or muddy.
Have anyone of you this combination? SR325i or MS2 => Zero DAC
Are well driven 32ohm headphones by the Zero amp?

Thank you.

I will soon know what Zero -> Ms2i sounds like.

Jan 23, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #1,044 of 9,388
I'm interested in knowing that too. I'm itching to order a MS-2... (already have the MS-1 and love them)
cool.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #1,045 of 9,388
Mine came today!

I hooked it up to my pc though optical and I have no sound, so I tried the usb thing and that doesn't work either.

I'm sure its settings on my PC but i don't really have time to mess with that right now.

Jan 23, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #1,046 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUSHIE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine came today!

I hooked it up to my pc though optical and I have no sound, so I tried the usb thing and that doesn't work either.

I'm sure its settings on my PC but i don't really have time to mess with that right now.

Pull the optical cable out of the Zero and make sure there is light coming through. And make sure you have the Phone button pressed on the zero. The green LED should be on.

Jan 23, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #1,047 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Well, at least 5. I've been lurking on this thread since day 1 and finally couldn't resist the urge to check a Zero out for myself.

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #1,048 of 9,388
I just got my ZERO brought it off from Lawrence. Put in LT1364 in DAC dont have any other op amp available around to put in headphone section so just using stock which is NE5532p.

First impression.

Listening to Billie Jean from Thriller M.Jackson the sound is just awful, thin and no details at all. During intro first 10sec the snare drum sound very harsh, absolute no timbre. There is only a bit echo as the drummer hits the snare drum during the intro.

I have to say before i cooked my ibasso D1 trying to upgrade blackgate caps the D1 sounds way better using LTC 6241HV in DAC, AD797 in L/R and buffer bypassed. Snare drum was tight and is control with plenty of timbre. Abundance of echo during intro.

I dont have headphone amp at this stage so i cant comment on how the DAC sounds using line out. Will pick a a LD MKV from CHINA when i head over there next week for a holiday.

I'm letting it burn in now will check back at 50hr mark to see if there is any improvement. For its price i didnt expect to much from it.

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #1,049 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my ZERO brought it off from Lawrence. Put in LT1364 in DAC dont have any other op amp available around to put in headphone section so just using stock which is NE5532p.

First impression.

Listening to Billie Jean from Thriller M.Jackson the sound is just awful, thin and no details at all. During intro first 10sec the snare drum sound very harsh, absolute no timbre. There is only a bit echo as the drummer hits the snare drum during the intro.

I have to say before i cooked my ibasso D1 trying to upgrade blackgate caps the D1 sounds way better using LTC 6241HV in DAC, AD797 in L/R and buffer bypassed. Snare drum was tight and is control with plenty of timbre. Abundance of echo during intro.

I dont have headphone amp at this stage so i cant comment on how the DAC sounds using line out. Will pick a a LD MKV from CHINA when i head over there next week for a holiday.

I'm letting it burn in now will check back at 50hr mark to see if there is any improvement. For its price i didnt expect to much from it.

Ask anyone here, and they will tell you that critical listening right out of the box is completely unrevealing.
rolleyes.gif
Also, the DAC Opamp changed to LT1364 and not changing the headphone board Opamps will sound like Poo. Better to leave in the OPA2604 until you get some more time on the clock and more Opamps.

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #1,050 of 9,388
So mine simply isn't working.

I've tried my pc, my ps2, and a DVD player and it didn't work with any.

When I press the headphone button and the green light comes on, the other 2 blue lights pretty much turn all the way off. I'm thinking thats kind of a problem...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back