Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 21, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #1,006 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Normality /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my setup at the moment:

(tweaked) Cambridge Audio D300SE CD player -> cheap but not so bad optical cable supplied with the Zero -> Zero -> solid core 4-wire-braid silver interconnects -> Pioneer A-209R integrated amp -> Gotham (a Swiss pro brand) 4mmq speaker cables -> Polk Audio Monitor 30 bookshelves.

Admittedly the amp/speakers are not the best you can get by a long shot
rolleyes.gif
but they're very honest and actually surprisingly good put together. No problem enjoying Tom Waits and all the rest with them. Still they're certainly not the pinnacle of audio reproduction for transparency and such.
smily_headphones1.gif

In any event, the sound from the Zero is very good out of the box, genuinely natural and clear. A bit heavier on midbass than my CD player; overall a little smoother and slightly more transparent. Tonal quality is a little bit behind right now, but you have to listen closely; I'm sure it'll improve. Overall, it's already (with no burn in & crappy digital interconnect) a pretty subtle yet real, I think, improvement on my already very good sounding cd player. Which, btw, has a very good transport & all related circuitry and this makes me even more glad I went with the Zero.

So...the Zero is burning in. Will listen again later, naturally.

Hows the sound compared to the dac on your c audio cd player? You tried it through a set of floor standers? Thats when i noticed a big difference in mine.

Jan 21, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #1,007 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by king756 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone explain how you swap these? Do you have to de-solder them and replace with a new one or do these simply just slot into a socket?

No soldering required. These parts are in 8-pin sockets.

Quote:

It is good to know how to swap the opamps and what you are on about when you say dac opamp / headphone opamp....(are these two different circuits)?

Yes, two different circuits. One is for the output of the DAC, which feeds the signal to the analog outputs, and the other circuit is the one that handles the Headphone amplifier.

Will

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #1,010 of 9,388
Quote:

WooHoo,

Just got my shipping number, it's on the way.

Nice job! I ordered on the 6th & reasoned mine would ship with the next batch--which it may still. I just wish I would've received my shipping number by now so this twiddling of my thumbs would go away (c'est la vie).

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #1,011 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by charley phogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That knob sure looks nice on there, could it be from the added weight, if any?

Im not sure, i don't think it will be. It just sounds like its got grit in the pot or something. Its ok when i've adjusted the volume, its when i move it i hear it. Just a bit annoying!

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #1,012 of 9,388
i ordered samples from LT fast delivery! now i'm waiting on my zero!
biggrin.gif

my zero is on its way now!
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #1,013 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironman64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice job! I ordered on the 6th & reasoned mine would ship with the next batch--which it may still. I just wish I would've received my shipping number by now so this twiddling of my thumbs would go away (c'est la vie).

Did you order from Lawence?

I placed my order on 15 Jan so you should of heard something by now.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #1,014 of 9,388
My Zero has shipped today. Now the agonizing wait begins (or continues)...

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #1,015 of 9,388
Quote:

Did you order from Lawence?

I placed my order on 15 Jan so you should of heard something by now.

Yep. Ordered via e-mail. Wrote him an inquiry right after my post above. Curious . . .

Jan 21, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #1,017 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im not sure, i don't think it will be. It just sounds like its got grit in the pot or something. Its ok when i've adjusted the volume, its when i move it i hear it. Just a bit annoying!

I think my #2 has the same thing. I just haven't got around to cleaning it yet. A little Deoxit and it will be over with.
wink.gif
The heavier knob should have no effect on the pot. It sure does make it smoother to operate.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #1,018 of 9,388
Jan 21, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #1,019 of 9,388
Mine is on the way too...I also ordered some samples from LT( 1 x LT1364, 2 x LT1469, 2 x LT1361) I hope they will send it to me...I'm very curious how will sound my K601 on Zero, I'm already impressed by their sq even unamplified...

I want to ask you something about burn in: is there a time limit for continuously burning in?

LE: I have another question: what differences are between:
LT1361CN8
LT1361CN8#PBF
LT1361CS8
LT1361CS8#PBF

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #1,020 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andreas_D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is on the way too...I also ordered some samples from LT, I hope they will send it to me...I'm very curious how will sound my K601 on Zero, I'm already impressed by their sq even unamplified...

I want to ask you something about burn in: is there a time limit for continuously burning in?

None that I'm aware of. With my second Zero, I was in a hurry, so I hooked up my Creative Vision, selected all songs, with repeat on, plugged in my HD-580s and let it run for about 6 days straight.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back