Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jan 19, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #976 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Normality /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps. Or if you're impatient like me (ehh...I'm one who oscillates between extremities
biggrin.gif
) just try replacing the OPA's with the LT since you have it.

Well the LT1364 and AD826 (both bipolar with high slew rates & low settling times) have excellent transparency, the OPA627 being FET and slower is a little more muddy, especially in the bass.

Well i was a bit dissapointed in the sound when i heard it,but, i think it wasn't really fair on the zero.

The thing is i love the 627's in the dac with headphones, it was when we hooked it up via speakers it sounded a bit crap. The speakers we used were pretty good too! Kef.

Jan 19, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #977 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stupidly i didn't look at the model number so i don't know. I wasn't really a fair test as its still new and will never sound as good at the start. We used a good quality coax cable from the zero. I think i just need to let it burn. He was planning on buying a dac but he thinks its best to upgrade his cd player rather than buy a zero or other external dac.

Has anyone else compared them to their cd players? im very keen to hear if the results are the same as we found?

So would you all agree it should improve and be much better competition with time? Also technically should it be better than the marantz? It was £450 new for the marantz so its a good cd player but not top of the range or anything.

There is no reason why the Zero shouldn't sound better with the right Opamps in it, and it being "matured". Many CD player manufacturers have to compromise between what sounds best, and what costs less. This usually results in the player NOT being as good as it could have been. Some others build around a particular chip and this limits the players potential as well.

I have a Pioneer DV-444 slim player with Burr Brown Opamps and a completely separate audio/DAC section built internal. It does sound very good! However, unless I want to break out the soldering iron and get crazy, I need an external DAC. Using the Zero with it, and using the LT1364 in the DAC, it sounds much better than the player did by itself. Today, I'm going to pull out the crappy Optical cable I was using and put in the glass one.
I'll see directly if there is any improvement and let you know.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #978 of 9,388
Quote:

Do you mean the LT1364? Have you tried in the DAC board, yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no reason why the Zero shouldn't sound better with the right Opamps in it, and it being "matured". Many CD player manufacturers have to compromise between what sounds best, and what costs less. This usually results in the player NOT being as good as it could have been. Some others build around a particular chip and this limits the players potential as well.

I have a Pioneer DV-444 slim player with Burr Brown Opamps and a completely separate audio/DAC section built internal. It does sound very good! However, unless I want to break out the soldering iron and get crazy, I need an external DAC. Using the Zero with it, and using the LT1364 in the DAC, it sounds much better than the player did by itself. Today, I'm going to pull out the crappy Optical cable I was using and put in the glass one.
I'll see directly if there is any improvement and let you know.
smily_headphones1.gif

No i haven't had chance to swap it yet. I will definitely try it in the dac though. The thing is i want the dac to suit the solo amp i have and at the minute i really love the solo + 627 combo. Im still going to try it with the 1364. I really want to know what others think to their wn cd player against the zero.
Theres no doubt it improves my sony cd player but id love it to compete with something that costs a lot moe than the zero.

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #979 of 9,388
Quote:

No i haven't had chance to swap it yet. I will definitely try it in the dac though. The thing is i want the dac to suit the solo amp i have and at the minute i really love the solo + 627 combo. Im still going to try it with the 1364. I really want to know what others think to their wn cd player against the zero.
Theres no doubt it improves my sony cd player but id love it to compete with something that costs a lot moe than the zero.

That DV-444 was a $400-$500 player. It was designed with two other models to be the "top" of the line. This one just happens to be the "slim" version. That's why I mentioned it. The guy on ebay I bought it from, had no idea and I won it for $40.
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #983 of 9,388
Quote:

At the minute i have the lt1364 and the 1469 in headphone. Sound pretty nice. Im just going to have to leave it running for ages to mature.

That is a good combo! The reverse is good too, but for some reason, the LT1364 in the DAC made the DAC sound better and the headphone sound was more in control, using the LT1469s.
cool.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #984 of 9,388
Quote:

That is a good combo! The reverse is good too, but for some reason, the LT1364 in the DAC made the DAC sound better and the headphone sound was more in control, using the LT1469s.
cool.gif

Yeh i do like the sound so far. I wish i could hear it a month in advance to see how much it changes. Hows yours sounding so far?

Jan 20, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #985 of 9,388
Quote:

Yeh i do like the sound so far. I wish i could hear it a month in advance to see how much it changes. Hows yours sounding so far?

Actually, I have that combo in Zero #1 hooked optical to my PC and to my MKIVse. Got the HD-650s on my head and the sound is fantastic! The output from the DAC is so proper, my MKIVse is tube flavoring it so sweetly! Led Zeppelin, Houses of the Holy never sounded so good!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #986 of 9,388
Quote:

Actually the LT1469 is really tempting for the DAC too [sorry if I sound like a broken record
biggrin.gif
]. You can also do 2x LT1468 if you like.

I would really like to hear your (or anyones) impression of the DY2000. I have been so tempted to order it, but I couldn't decide between the normal or metal version, and before I spend on that, I wanted to know something!
biggrin.gif
I guess my "envisioned" use would be in the DAC, for my digital to Vintage Zero. Thoughts?

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #987 of 9,388
Quote:

I couldn't but notice that the digital coaxial connector on the rear of the Zero is slightly 'crooked' (meaning not perpendicular). The same, but less evidently, for the volume knob. Anyone else have noticed this on theirs?

btw, 6th post in a row
biggrin.gif

My #1 is that way. I looked close and it seems the bolt down of the main board caused it. I didn't mess with it. It seems to be a no worry thing.
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #988 of 9,388
Quote:

Led Zeppelin, Houses of the Holy never sounded so good!!
biggrin.gif

Hehe
biggrin.gif
, Hard rock, funk and reggae on the same album, nice one to try the Zero

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #989 of 9,388
Quote:

Btw, you wouldn't even think that an opamp upgrade is "needed".

More important would be a serious digital coaxial interconnect.

There is a default synergy with the Opamps chosen for the Zero. No doubt. I do like the ebay glass optical cable, even if I only get "peace of mind" out of it.
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #990 of 9,388
Quote:

If you think of it... the DAC chip is "1852", the opamp (single version) "6(0)4". No doubt there must be synergy.
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, when you put it like that....
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back