Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Sep 2, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #5,941 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
30US is about as cheap as you'll find for a glass toslink including shipping...the only other place I can think of off hand is BlueJeans Cable but I don't know if they have a glass toslink....I'll have a look and see...

A disturbing note with my Zero running SUN in the H/Amp and the reg HDAM in the dac section...once the OPA's burned in I noticed the bass had leaned out considerably...almost like the volt regs could not deliver enough juice to the current hungry SUNs...I don't know for sure if this the case. Alex is redoing his volt reg section in the H/Amp section and I had talked with CC about a sep power supply and volt reg for all 3 HDAMs...anyway when I pulled the SUNs from the H/Amp section and put the LT1364's back in the bass came back to what it was before....weird. Further investigation is needed and Pench and I are in the middle of that right now...

Alex do you know the max current the stock regs on the H/Amp board can supply ? I think the dual channel SUNs are drawing what...close to 88 ma ? The LT's maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of that...although that may be incorrect. In any case I think the stock Zero can run 3 HDAMs but will need help in some form to deliver the current needed to sound great to those current hungry HDAMs..

I do have a volt reg board and transformer on the way...so I'll be able to test this theory for real in a couple of weeks. I also wasn't keen on the SUN's voicing...I found I much prefer the neutral presentation of the Earth/LC module. With the heavily modded Zero the voicing of the SUN once it had 75 hours to cook wasn't my cup of tea and found the LT1364's a much better match to my ears, but also the problem talked about earlier in the post.

Can people post impressions of the SUN module in the DAC section please so we can get a baseline of it's SQ's vs the known Earth/LC HDAM. For now I have to keep my Zero as is for the final leg of tests before the mod kit is released so I can't pop the SUN into the dac section for a little while yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks guys !!!!

Peete.

Nice job. I really admire your diy into the volt reg.

I have emailed audio-gd about the volt reg as well.

So far, I found the Sun vocal is slightly more forward and more dynamic. After sometime, I just pop back the OPA Earth.

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #5,942 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBuLLeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the DAC-100 from audio-gd. I wonder how it compares to the Zero. Hopefully the Zero is better than the DAC-100 since I own a ZERO. Anyways anyone tried the Millett Hybrid amp aka SSHA with the ZERO? Does the Zero built in amp sound better than the Hybrid amp?

I'm testing/reviewing the DAC100 right now. I have much yet to do with it, but it is a quality DAC for sure. More to follow!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #5,943 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The website "our first generation discrete opamp" actually refers to the HDAM which is marketed under Bursons (they got the rights).

OPA-earth is the second generation discrete opamp design with the same circuit as HDAM. Below is the improvement made to the OPA-Earth :

1. OPA Earth has been improved with new parameters values used in the components. Its output sound quality is more stable across wider supply voltage as compared to HDAM which may deteriote with lower input voltage.

2. OPA Earth is more stable with better transparency as compared to old design.

3. Given the change in parameters, the sound quality difference between with and without ground connection is minimized.

In addition to changes in component values, one distinct difference is the BJT used in the attached photo. When working near its full load condition, Old design (HDAM) is affected more negatively by the sound quality, stability and life value as compared to OPA Earth. OPA Earth, with a bigger capacity BJT, has more capacity to perform.

Ok, so they should change the text on that page!
smily_headphones1.gif
With the "Earth" being an upgraded module, this is good news all around, don't you think??

The question on my mind now, is will the "Earth" module benefit from the same "cap" mod as the older version? Thoughts?

Sep 2, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #5,944 of 9,388
Quote:

30US is about as cheap as you'll find for a glass toslink including shipping...the only other place I can think of off hand is BlueJeans Cable but I don't know if they have a glass toslink....I'll have a look and see...

A disturbing note with my Zero running SUN in the H/Amp and the reg HDAM in the dac section...once the OPA's burned in I noticed the bass had leaned out considerably...almost like the volt regs could not deliver enough juice to the current hungry SUNs...I don't know for sure if this the case. Alex is redoing his volt reg section in the H/Amp section and I had talked with CC about a sep power supply and volt reg for all 3 HDAMs...anyway when I pulled the SUNs from the H/Amp section and put the LT1364's back in the bass came back to what it was before....weird. Further investigation is needed and Pench and I are in the middle of that right now...

Alex do you know the max current the stock regs on the H/Amp board can supply ? I think the dual channel SUNs are drawing what...close to 88 ma ? The LT's maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of that...although that may be incorrect. In any case I think the stock Zero can run 3 HDAMs but will need help in some form to deliver the current needed to sound great to those current hungry HDAMs..

I do have a volt reg board and transformer on the way...so I'll be able to test this theory for real in a couple of weeks. I also wasn't keen on the SUN's voicing...I found I much prefer the neutral presentation of the Earth/LC module. With the heavily modded Zero the voicing of the SUN once it had 75 hours to cook wasn't my cup of tea and found the LT1364's a much better match to my ears, but also the problem talked about earlier in the post.

Can people post impressions of the SUN module in the DAC section please so we can get a baseline of it's SQ's vs the known Earth/LC HDAM. For now I have to keep my Zero as is for the final leg of tests before the mod kit is released so I can't pop the SUN into the dac section for a little while yet
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks guys !!!!

Peete.

Hey PP,

I've been testing the "Sun's" in the headphone amp section, driven by the "Earth" in the DAC section. But, I should explain why the "Earth" in the DAC section first. The "Earth" is very dynamic and very neutral, maintaining a flat frequency response over the entire spectrum. You couldn't ask for a better DAC amp solution, for so little money.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have over 350 hours on my "Earth" and it is stable and sounding great.

The "Sun's" have about 200 hours on them, and they appear stable and mature. I did have to re-solder most of the leads; They were dropping off like crazy.
smily_headphones1.gif

To test the whole setup, I took my stock #2 Zero and installed all 3 modules. "Earth" in the DAC, "Sun's" in the headphone amp. I used my Creative X-FI (Desktop PC) coaxial output to the Zero and plugged in my HD-650's to the Zero's headphone amp.

The results were not what I expected and caused me to spend another 3 hours cross checking everything to determine exactly what was going on. The "Suns" have 3 distinct humps in their frequency response, when compared to a flat frequency response. One at your typical sub-woofer crossover point, another at lower to mid voice frequencies, and another at high frequencies, near cymbal ride frequencies. Without the ability to measure these with test equipment, I have to generalize their locations and guess at their intensity, which I would say is under 6-8db. I'd have to hook it up directly to my 32 band equalizer to get any closer on this, but didn't have time.

Please everyone, understand something before passing judgment on the "Sun". It is supposed to be a "fun" sounding module that will enhance most listening situations, and it may indeed do this for some users. That would be great! For me however, it took my quest for a flatter frequency response and messed with it. The overall sound was colorized and did sound this way through my HD-650s. A quick swap out to the LT1364's made for a much better sounding output, with far less colorization.

With the "Sun's" still in the headphone amp section, I went ahead and tested what I could. The overall output was down by at least 20%. I could actually turn up the volume high enough to drive the headphone amp section into audible distortion! I hadn't expected this, but it makes sense when you consider the lower output. This could also be a symptom of your earlier observations on voltages within the headphone amp section. I hope your testing can determine what is actually happening. For right now, I'd have to say there is a "drain" on resources within the headphone amp section, when running two "Sun" modules.

I did test the "Sun" in the DAC section, outputting to my MKV headphone amplifier. The same 3 frequency humps were present, verifying my earlier findings.

So, to summarize my findings so far; The "Earth" works extremely well in the DAC section, and it has great synergy with the LT1364's in the headphone amp section. The "Sun" modules produce a "colorized" presentation that is not an improvement for me, in my stock Zero. IMHO of course, and YMMV.

Time permitting, I'm going to test the "Earth" modules in the headphone amp section, and use my first generation HDAM with "cap" mod in the DAC section. I want to determine if the frequency response stays flat and the dynamics carry forward. There will be much to look for, with this setup. This may be days away though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #5,945 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snip

My wires for the SUN module also fell off. (Or the first one did, and the other ""fell" off when I used my uber soldering skills on the darn little thing^^)

Should I try to solder them all back, or is it better to use another type of wire? I rather use a better wire if it's possible.

What type of wire should I use for best performance?

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #5,946 of 9,388
Ha - not to sound happy about your problems or anything, but I must say it is comforting to know I'm not the only one who has had to re-solder my lead cables! for a while there it sounded like I was! I can confirm though that once re-attached everything is just fine. Those leads work perfectly, they just don't seem to have been attached all that well.

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #5,947 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wires for the SUN module also fell off. (Or the first one did, and the other ""fell" off when I used my uber soldering skills on the darn little thing^^)

Should I try to solder them all back, or is it better to use another type of wire? I rather use a better wire if it's possible.

What type of wire should I use for best performance?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha - not to sound happy about your problems or anything, but I must say it is comforting to know I'm not the only one who has had to re-solder my lead cables! for a while there it sounded like I was! I can confirm though that once re-attached everything is just fine. Those leads work perfectly, they just don't seem to have been attached all that well.

ScottieB is right. Once re-soldered, they seem to stay put just fine. I haven't had any trouble with EMI or other noises, so those leads should be fine, unless you need longer ones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #5,948 of 9,388
Penchum but with the sun in the head apm section, the hd 650 can be driven correctly? The volume is ok?

And with what standalone head amp, you would comprare the modded zero with sun or earth?

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #5,949 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Penchum but with the sun in the head apm section, the hd 650 can be driven correctly? The volume is ok?

And with what standalone head amp, you would comprare the modded zero with sun or earth?

They can be driven, but the bass leaned out, as in, got thin, affecting dynamics etc...a quick swap from SUN's back to LT1364's in the H/Amp section confirmed it last night.

The SUN modules need more current than they are getting, I almost sure of it, which explains the volume setting (being way higher than normal) and the odd bass behavior. If the SUN module has a tipped up bass section, the bass should have been stronger...not weaker...had me scratching my head for a bit over the weekend until it dawned on me that the modules are not getting enough current in the H/Amp section...which may be wrong, but most likely isn't...it's the only logical explanation I can come up with...

Peete.

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #5,950 of 9,388
Great job filling in all the details I missed Pench !!!

Keep up the good work !!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #5,951 of 9,388
Quote:

They can be driven, but the bass leaned out, as in, got thin, affecting dynamics etc...a quick swap from SUN's back to LT1364's in the H/Amp section confirmed it last night.

The SUN modules need more current than they are getting, I almost sure of it, which explains the volume setting (being way higher than normal) and the odd bass behavior. If the SUN module has a tipped up bass section, the bass should have been stronger...not weaker...had me scratching my head for a bit over the weekend until it dawned on me that the modules are not getting enough current in the H/Amp section...which may be wrong, but most likely isn't...it's the only logical explanation I can come up with...

Peete.

Bad news for me Peete, I ordered 3Sun+1Earth and I am selling the 595 to go with the 650, in the next days I will order the zero, but if there are problems with 3 opa is a bad news
frown.gif
, you think that those problems are resolvable?

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #5,952 of 9,388
Just want to clarify something - you guys are only running into this power problem with THREE discrete opamps right? Earth in DAC ans 2x Sun in headamp... a single sun in the DAC should draw enough power, no? I haven't noticed any lacking in my output from DAC only with Sun (haven't tried Earth yet).

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #5,953 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by viscosity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pete, are your OPAs plugged in through extension or soldered to the board?

Just like everyone else, plugged in where they can be, and an extension used for the right hand H/Amp DIP (until last night).

When all the latest issues are resolved I plan on using my audio-gd extensions and button the stock lid back on...for now the DAC section HDAM is upright in the DIP and the others are now out of the Zero and replaced with LT1364's until a solution can be found.

Peete.

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #5,954 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just want to clarify something - you guys are only running into this power problem with THREE discrete opamps right? Earth in DAC ans 2x Sun in headamp... a single sun in the DAC should draw enough power, no? I haven't noticed any lacking in my output from DAC only with Sun (haven't tried Earth yet).

Yep that's right Scottie...with the reg setup of the Earth/LC HDAM in the dac section and your opamp of choice in the H/Amp, everything sounds great.

Peete.

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #5,955 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bad news for me Peete, I ordered 3Sun+1Earth and I am selling the 595 to go with the 650, in the next days I will order the zero, but if there are problems with 3 opa is a bad news
frown.gif
, you think that those problems are resolvable?

All problems are solvable, it's the cost that is the major question mark...hopefully a cheap solution will be found.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back