Review: ZERO 24 BIT/192KHz DAC/Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Dec 27, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #331 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is maybe a stupid question, keep in mind i am a newb; what would be the benefit of using the Zero as a pre-amp for an amp? Is it simply to listen to the sound signature of the amp? Like for example to listen to the the tube sound of the mkIV. Wouldn't the problem of feeding current to a current hungry set of cans be solved by a unit such as the Zero?

I was considering getting an amp before the Zero arrived to my doorstep, but now I can't really see the benefit of getting one.

-arteom

pre-amps are usually used in conjunction with power amps such as mono blocks. these have no volume control of their own and only one input and so a pre-amp is required to control the volume and usually as a source selector, but not always

in headphone world, most all headphone amps have integrated volume controls so you wouldn't use the Zero's variable outputs, just it's straight line out. having multiple volume controls in the signal usually is a bad thing.

Dec 27, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #332 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How "high resolution" is the DY2000? Comparable to the OPA627 and LM4562?

I haven't heard the OPA627 (yet), compared to the LM4562 and AD843 I had at the time it isn't as detailed, but it is more musical than the LM4562. It is more detailed than the AD823 and OPA2604 that I also used at the time in my Zhaolu

Dec 27, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #333 of 9,388
I'm thinking of getting the zero or the ibasso d1. Also looking at the headphonia lyrix too. Don't care about portability. Anyone got/heard these? Need to pull some more bass and clarity out of my 595s.

anything that would put the zero ahead of the other amps I mentioned?

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #334 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both. At the time of testing I couldn't get the metal one to behave inside my amp. Kept getting this high frequency ringing sound but it went away depending on where I put the amp, I think it was picking up interference from something nearby.

When I got it working, the metal DY2000 and ceramic have more in common than not. a bit more detail across the frequency range but overall same sound sig.

Cool thanks - I've mailed Lawrence again to see what he thinks/whether RF noise is likely to be an issue if using the metal version and whether he'll do me some sort of deal to pay the difference (might as well... seems from what you say it's unlikely I'd prefer the ceramic, and what-with the weak dollar and all, the price difference is only about what I spend on lunch most days
rolleyes.gif
)

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #335 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsmudger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool thanks - I've mailed Lawrence again to see what he thinks/whether RF noise is likely to be an issue if using the metal version and whether he'll do me some sort of deal to pay the difference (might as well... seems from what you say it's unlikely I'd prefer the ceramic, and what-with the weak dollar and all, the price difference is only about what I spend on lunch most days
rolleyes.gif
)

I've joined in the middle of a conversation which i noticed you were talking about 'metal' and 'ceramic', what do these refer to? Are they some sort of resistor? Sorry if you repeat your self, i couldn't find the post where it was all mentioned.

Is it an upgrade for the zero because i have just ordered one.

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #336 of 9,388
They are talking about the opamp.

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #338 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for a giant killer. A 130 dollar amp/dac to go up against a 1000 dollar or more unit. Having built my own equipment and having been around high end audio for years I see no reason a well done, well thought out and implemented unit can not/will not do it. Plenty of clean power, the correct chips, a good output, inexpensive labor and there you go. The Pico is an itty bitty thing and it is being compared to some heavy hitters and doing well.

Let the bout begin.

Honestly, I think you should try the Zero for just this kind of "bout". You have far more sources and other DACs for validation than I do. Within the confines of the equipment I have, the Zero is every bit as good as the rest of them performance wise. This would have to mean it's true position is higher than I can validate. This should put it in the neighborhood you are looking for. No one else has a unit in this price/performance category, so it is the target of choice. What do you think? Ow, and Happy Holidays!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #339 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well like penchum here for example, using the zero as a pre-amp for his mkIVse, what would be the point of doing that? Would it simply be to add the "unique" processing/sound of the mkIV to the signal?

to rephrase my question.

Sorry I'm so late getting to this.
smily_headphones1.gif
When I use the Zero to drive my MKIVse, it is so I can use my digital sources, like my CD players or my notebook. I'll go Optical out of the source, into the Zero for processing, then out of the Zero (analog) to my MKIVse. Like most "tube" headphone amps, the MKIVse has only analog in. What is nice about the Zero, is that anyone who has digital sources could get one, enjoy it now (with its built-in headphone amp), save up, and if they want too, buy a "tube" amp later and just add it on. The Zero works extremely well in this kind of setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #340 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsmudger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif
)

I hope this goes through for you. It would be exciting to hear your impressions vs the stock Opamp! Let us know if he can do this.
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #341 of 9,388
I have a bit of disappointing news. My AD797s should have been here by now and HK post shows them in route to the US, but the USPS doesn't recognize the shipping number. I notified the seller, and he is having HK post do a tracking to try and find them.
frown.gif
"Wilson!, Wilson!"

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #342 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope this goes through for you. It would be exciting to hear your impressions vs the stock Opamp! Let us know if he can do this.
wink.gif

Seems I was too late - he posted my Zero on the 24th (hooray!)

He seemed almost a little offended when I said I might change it later, saying as I understand it, that the DY2000 ceramic is his favourite regardless of cost
smily_headphones1.gif
so all-good, I'll just see how I get on with it and maybe look at swapping for the metal a bit later down the line (and depending on whether I like the sound of the DY2000 in general compared with the stock amp seeing as d-cee mentioned they're of a similar character)

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #343 of 9,388
Quote:

I'd like to know if the metal can version is easy to insert into the DIP socket. The pinout should be the same as a dual DIP opamp; but the pins are arranged in a circle. Are they long enough to be bent? Never used this kind of opamp package.

I must have missed the circle pin arrangement? I saw a pic of one and thought it was the standard arrangement? I'll look some more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #344 of 9,388
Quote:

I'd like to know if the metal can version is easy to insert into the DIP socket. The pinout should be the same as a dual DIP opamp; but the pins are arranged in a circle. Are they long enough to be bent? Never used this kind of opamp package.

it comes installed on a DIP-8 socket

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #345 of 9,388
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it comes installed on a DIP-8 socket

Thanks d-cee! That explains the small rise in price too.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back