Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Sep 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #676 of 1,182

Quote:
Have anyone seen the nearly released D18 DAC from Yulong? It doesn't feature an USB input, but its RMAA test specs blew the meters :p
I hope to see a review on it, since its impressions by test users on erji were overwhelmingly positive

I've been following the threads on erji, to the best of my ability using translation from Google Chrome. Seems like they have some good stuff planned - the D18 DAC, A18 headphone amp, and then the A10 which is an integrated speaker and headphone amp. I'd love to hear more when they get finalized a bit more.

Sep 11, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #679 of 1,182

Quote:
That Sabre D18 is based on the Sabre ESS9018 chip I assume? The design of that analog output stage looks like it's lifted straight from Twisted Pear's IVY. 

Yep, and once you get over the confusion about the "Sabre" name being applied to all the products... it's actually kind of a cool name in my opinion. 

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #680 of 1,182
Project86,

I believe the good value DAC(high quality) now is Yulong D100 and Matrix Quatro, both better than my Matrix cube. Having said that  rather than upgrade to either one, I should wait for the next generation DAC based on Sabre ESS9018 chip set to get the best quality sound.

What do you think?

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #681 of 1,182
Reviews said that D18 weren't the analytical type? I remember one of the reviews mentioning it to be slightly warm and musical, which seems to lose some details...

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #682 of 1,182

Quote:
Project86,

I believe the good value DAC(high quality) now is Yulong D100 and Matrix Quatro, both better than my Matrix cube. Having said that  rather than upgrade to either one, I should wait for the next generation DAC based on Sabre ESS9018 chip set to get the best quality sound.

What do you think?

I am a fan of the ES9018, but in my opinion it is only one aspect of the experience. There are just so many aspects to take into consideration aside from just the DAC chip itself. Pick a DAC chip -  ES9018, AD1955, PCM1792, WM8741, PCM1704, etc. and I'm sure there is probably a great sounding DAC that uses it, as well as a not so good sounding counterpart. So upgrading is worthwhile for you (when you have the budget) but basing it strictly on the DAC chip is not.

Quote:
Reviews said that D18 weren't the analytical type? I remember one of the reviews mentioning it to be slightly warm and musical, which seems to lose some details...

I got that vague impression as well, but it is very hard to trust the translation. Plus I haven't seen any real in depth reviews, just brief descriptions. I'll need to wait and see. Many people are turned off by the potentially analytical nature of the Sabre DACs (which I don't really agree with....) so maybe the musical aspect is deliberate in the D18 design? We'll see.

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #683 of 1,182
My heat sinks arrived today... Where should I put them? Every single black surface (IC) I can see?

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #684 of 1,182
Dang those Sabre units sure look good... Any idea what kinda price we're talking here?

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #686 of 1,182
I remember reading one of Yulong's posts where he said he did design it to be musical. I just hope that details aren't sacrificed for that.

Oct 2, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #687 of 1,182

Quote:
My heat sinks arrived today... Where should I put them? Every single black surface (IC) I can see?

I've put them on orange marked ICs. I'd also put one on green marked IC if I had enough heatsinks.

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #688 of 1,182

Quote:

I've put them on orange marked ICs. I'd also put one on green marked IC if I had enough heatsinks.

Thanks!

I've got 8 heat sinks from ebay... Where in Europe are you? I'd be happy to send you the 4 I won't need but it would probably be cheaper for you to just order 8 from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-Aluminium-Heatsinks-3M-Adheisive-Thermal-Tape-GPU-RAM-VRM-VRAM-Chipsets-/320766325560?pt=Computing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item4aaf29b338

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #689 of 1,182

Quote:

Thanks!

I've got 8 heat sinks from ebay... Where in Europe are you? I'd be happy to send you the 4 I won't need but it would probably be cheaper for you to just order 8 from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-Aluminium-Heatsinks-3M-Adheisive-Thermal-Tape-GPU-RAM-VRM-VRAM-Chipsets-/320766325560?pt=Computing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item4aaf29b338

Thanks 
wink.gif
 But I don't really think it's even worth to open up my unit just to put that last heat sink on.... As far as I remember that IC doesn't get that hot....I might be wrong.

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #690 of 1,182
So I did say i would update the thread when I get my D100 fixed and it definitely is fixed and I got it back last Saturday. It sounds great and I got it fixed at a very reasonable price. I am currently using the D100 to my V200 amp and modded T50RP and it sounds amazing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back