Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Sep 1, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #661 of 1,182
my unit overheated and died as well. but syd/mel get up to 40 deg in summer... i initially thought it was because the dac no longer has a heatsink v the prod version... however that was pure speculation... i think a more constructive solution might be drilling holes in the top cover instead...
other units incl my one had the dac lose usb input intermittently and the dac malfunction on hot days... to top it off, my unit just started outputting noise and distortion added to music one day....
not really impressed... cost me about 100 bux to get it replaced to send it back to cn...
no longer has a heatsink v the prod version... however that was pure speculation... i think a more constructive solution might be drilling holes in the top cover instead...
other units incl my one had the dac lose usb input intermittently and the dac malfunction on hot days... to top it off, my unit just started outputting noise and distortion added to music one day....
not really impressed... cost me about 100 bux to get it replaced to send it back to cn...

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #662 of 1,182
Yulong himself said DA1704 he made before the D100 is a better DAC, but D100 have the USB option.

Oh, and my usb also tend to lose input...thats not a good sign right?

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #663 of 1,182
Well I shipped off my dac to get an assessment on if it is worth repairing today. Hopefully I'll hear something by end of next week. I also got my replacement dac in the Keces DA-151 MK2 so I am no longer forced to use my UHA4 dac/amp.

I do notice that my RCA cables are quite stiff and not very flexible so I think I may have to get some RCA cables that are more flexible and easier to use :p

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #664 of 1,182
Rawster, can you explain what sonic improvement does the PPA v2 give over the D100 built-in amp on your DT880?

I've been wondering if I should get a stronger amp in the future to put in between my D100 and the GMPs (300Ohms)...

Thanks!

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #665 of 1,182
Who else is using a dedicated amp in between the D100 and the headphones?
What sonic improvements do you hear? What are the main weaknesses of the built in amp of the D100?

Has anyone got the Yulong A100 besides project86?

Thanks!

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #666 of 1,182
I'm using the HR-2 Ray Samuels Head amp between the D100 and the DT-880 (600ohms)  and I find the music is more in control, more tight - also deep soundstaging and most important for me - wonderful instrumental separation. Oozes of detail. The amp on the D100 isn't bad at all - but it is nothing compared to the HR-2.  

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #667 of 1,182
I would hope the D100 amp isn't as good as that Ray Samuels HR-2 :p I would be a bit annoyed if that was not the case.

I had my PPAv2 amp connected to the Yulong D100 and I felt there was an improvement with the DT880. It depends on what you are using since I felt the D100 sounded about as good as it gets with my customs.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #668 of 1,182
I've yet to try customs with the D100. Listened to Spectrum by Billy Cobham using my D100 with the HR-2 and the DT-880 and also the HD600. OMG! It was the best I have ever heard that album. THe space between the instruments and the depth of tone was unbelievable! 

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #669 of 1,182
I use Matrix m-Stage (opa637sm x2) with D100. Soundstage increased by a lot, better instrument separation, and less treble. More bass punch.

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #670 of 1,182
Haven't had any problems with my D100 yet (I live in Scandinavia, summer temperatures top at 30 degrees celcius) but I ordered a set of heatsinks off ebay, just as a precaution. I really like the sound from this thing when it's feeding my HD650's directly, but I'll probably end up ordering a Matrix Quattro balanced amp.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #671 of 1,182
That amp does seem interesting esp since the D100 does have a balanced output but wondering how that would sound with a balanced amp since I don't think too many who own the D100 has used that feature.

Actually maybe I shouldn't have bought a more entry level dac. I'm really liking it and for some reason my PPAv2 amp doesn't hiss with customs now so maybe it was the D100 that was causing the hiss I heard the first time I tried it with my customs but only difference was that instead of my current dac it was a D100 as the dac. There's too many choices :p

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #672 of 1,182
That amp does seem interesting esp since the D100 does have a balanced output but wondering how that would sound with a balanced amp since I don't think too many who own the D100 has used that feature.

Actually maybe I shouldn't have bought a more entry level dac. I'm really liking it and for some reason my PPAv2 amp doesn't hiss with customs now so maybe it was the D100 that was causing the hiss I heard the first time I tried it with my customs but only difference was that instead of my current dac it was a D100 as the dac. There's too many choices :p

sounded fine with a stax bal amp. and different (a bit 'sweeter' (RCA) vs more 'neutral' (XLR). but could be placebo :D ...

>Haven't had any problems with my D100 yet (I live in Scandinavia, summer temperatures top at 30 degrees celcius) but I ordered a set of heatsinks off ebay, just as a precaution. I really like the sound from this thing when it's feeding my HD650's directly, but I'll probably end up ordering a Matrix Quattro balanced amp.

there are no guarantees it's really overheating... perhaps a few components are handled incorrectly and burn out or partially burn out with time. That's also a fairly plausible explanation.

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #673 of 1,182
Have anyone seen the nearly released D18 DAC from Yulong? It doesn't feature an USB input, but its RMAA test specs blew the meters :p
I hope to see a review on it, since its impressions by test users on erji were overwhelmingly positive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back