Review: Yulong D100 DAC/amp - reference quality with a reasonable price
Aug 29, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #646 of 1,182
I usually don't use the headpone out but the RCA outs. It went out on me when it was connected to my amp so I tried out the headphone out of the dac to see if it was the amp or the dac and it seems to be the dac since the heaphone out doesn't work.

i'm going to not touch it for another day and see if it was just some overheating or something but i'm doubtful since it did not work this morning. l'm going to send it to another member to see if he can do anything or at least see if it is worth it for me to get him to fix it.

Either case I'm in the market for a new dac now so hopefully I see something in the FS for a reasonable price. I'm a bit disappointed this went out on me and hope it can be fixed at a reasonable price.

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #647 of 1,182
I'm going to send it to another head-fi member and hope it's worth it to fix. However it is worth it to get checked out since I really like the dac/amp and if it doesn't cost me more than say around 100 to fix it and get everything checked out  i'm going to get it fixed.

in the meantime i picked up a cheap dac in the fs off another member in the keces da-151 mk2. I don't expect it to be as good but I hope it isn't too far off and around the same quality as when i had the hud-mx1 but a bit better. It's only 16/44.1 but all my files are that so no big deal. It's supposed to be a good entry level dac so I have hope but either way my PPAv2 is lonely without a dac to pair it with.

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #648 of 1,182
I guess your d100 overheated... I've put RAM heatsinks on the ICs inside mine cause they get pretty warm. Especially on hot days.

I used them in my zero too. 

I found them on ebay. Also seen them on dealextreme

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #649 of 1,182
it may have overheated although it didn't really get too warm..

Either way I'll look into those heat sinks after I send them in and get it back. I guess you just buy those and stick it on top of the IC?

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #651 of 1,182
That sounds simple enough. If it was overheating which could be a possibility I'm surprised since it wasn't like there was no room to breathe or that it was running hot. I'll take some more precautions next time so this doesn't happen assuming it's worth it for me to fix.

Thanks for the tip.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #652 of 1,182
I take back what I said about overheating. Although I lack the knowledge it is clear to me it is overheating of the dac chip. I guess putting heat sinks on the chips would prevent this in the future. I opened it up and saw this

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #654 of 1,182
No warranty left?

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #655 of 1,182
i bought it discounted in FS. It's a risk but this is the first time something has failed on me. I don't know too much about soldering but I'm going to get it checked out. Either way if there was a warranty shipping to China is not cheap and it would cost a bit more to get it repaired from another head-fi member and get it much faster than waiting 2 weeks for China, 2 weeks back and then repair job in between which can take who knows how long.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #656 of 1,182
For me that would be an opportunity to learn SMD soldering 
devil_face.gif

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #657 of 1,182
One day I shall but that's on the to do list when I have more time to just be able to sit down and learn. Since being in this hobby I wish I studied EE and have the ability to read schematics and build stuff.

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #658 of 1,182
Even though I love the D100 sound and think of it as a good purchase - I had enough issues with it in the beginning to learn my lesson - I won't be buying anymore Yulong products in the future. It seems many people have had issues with them..

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #659 of 1,182
Have a lot of people been having problems with it? It seems to have been an unlucky few.
I'm tot trying to belittle the problem because it must be really crummy to have a $400 DAC fail on you, but mine continues to run without fail and I think most people's have been as well.

Aug 31, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #660 of 1,182
If it is overheating I don't really think it's the fault of Yulong. However that is just my guess and I won't know until I ship it to someone who can fix it on Saturday and then test the amp to figure out what exactly is wrong with it. If it does run hot after it is fixed then heat sinks will be installed which should help that issue. I guess there's a first for everything. I've never had anything break on me like that but thankfully it isn't something that can't be fixed. If it was a headphone..then that might be a completely different story :p

The good part is that if I do get it fixed I can compare it to an older dac that is supposed to be quite a good entry level dac so can decide if I want to expand my headphone rig or not or just keep it at one dac and one amp. I can't use my DT880 for some time but no big deal since I wasn't using it much since I got my Magnums. The Magnums sound good out of my UHA4 and so do my customs so I have options to choose from. If I didn't have any other options then it would suck but that is not the case so it's not too bad.

I'm not home that often so don't lose out on much listening time :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back