REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Sep 18, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #1,981 of 2,117
Well, I think it's official.. I'm done searching for something "better" than my W3's.  They still amaze me every time they're in my ears.  It's as if Westone made these to my preferred sound signature.  I just tried the UE TF10's and while they are great, no doubt about it, they just didn't do it for me.  They're ready to go to a new set of ears.  Once they're sold, I think I'll pickup a pair of W2's for back-ups (beach pair) and be done.  I had toy'd with the idea of trying the UM3X's and even the UM2's, but I'm just not sure if I want a different presentation than the W3 - W2.  I've said it before, If I had tried these back when I first read about them, I would have saved myself some time and money in the process. Then again, I wouldn't have experienced the great products that have crossed my path.  Needless to say, I couldn't be happier...

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #1,982 of 2,117
It's nice to find something that suits you
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I've found that with the RE-Zero although I do enjoy trying different earphones and most of my purchases are just that. I don't usually get loaners so only way to try is to buy and then sell off.

It is a bit curious about the W2 as a backup however. They sound quite different from what I've read about them and according to a couple members they sound very similar to the DBA-02 that I used to own so quite different than the W3. It does give you a fun and a neutral earphone to go with one another if that's what you meant by backup ;p

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #1,983 of 2,117

Quote:
It's nice to find something that suits you
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="1" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="1" /> I think I've found that with the RE-Zero although I do enjoy trying different earphones and most of my purchases are just that. I don't usually get loaners so only way to try is to buy and then sell off.

It is a bit curious about the W2 as a backup however. They sound quite different from what I've read about them and according to a couple members they sound very similar to the DBA-02 that I used to own so quite different than the W3. It does give you a fun and a neutral earphone to go with one another if that's what you meant by backup ;p

I hear ya, there are other's I'd like to hear, but I don't have the disposable income to purchase them all just to hear them.  There are a few "ears" on here that hear things similar enough, with deeper pockets than my own, that I trust for impressions.  There really isn't anything out there right now that interests me enough to buy new and even the used prices are too high at this point.  I'll sit tight and wait for something to pop up used, and in the meantime enjoy my W3's.

As for the W2's, Yeah, it'll give me something a bit different, while still retaining most of what I love about the W3's.  That and with their lower cost, I won't be as scared to take them out and about.

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #1,987 of 2,117

Quote:
Hum... a 300$ universal compared to a 1200$ custom? If they were on par, I think not many would pay 4x more for high end customs.

Ok, here's a hypothetical question for ya: If a universal can give you 90 - 95% of what a custom can, is it worth spending another $900 for 10%??  I'll never be able to justify customs.  My performing days are over and I don't have that kind of disposable income.

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #1,990 of 2,117

Quote:
Not every custom out there is that high in price
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="1" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="1" /> There's quite a few affordable customs out there.

I was very tempted to try customs using my TF10's.. for under $300 total (Fisher) I could have had my very own customs, but in the end the TripleFi's just didn't do it for me..

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #1,991 of 2,117
I so agree. My fear also is...I take the time to go get molds made..send them in...wait for them to come back... then I will hear very little difference. I have always felt I have a better than average ear, but not an audiophile level that some here have. My point is..I would more than likely like the sound somewhat better than say W3, but then the next Iem I want to try more would come out and I can't sell the customs if I so desire. After 9 years on head.fi..I still want to try every new thing that comes out.( childish I know)  Also...I have read multiple times here that once you get to the W3/Se535/um3x..etc stage..the upgrade difference is very minute... ie 10% as joey stated. All is imho as always.

Quote:
Ok, here's a hypothetical question for ya: If a universal can give you 90 - 95% of what a custom can, is it worth spending another $900 for 10%??  I'll never be able to justify customs.  My performing days are over and I don't have that kind of disposable income.

Sep 27, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #1,992 of 2,117
Well, I never heard high end custom personally, so I cannot tell whether they are worth it or not, but I was assuming that as they cost so much more, they MUST be better
tongue.gif

I think I would not pay that much for an iem, but that's a personal choice. I already have three high end universal monitors, and prefer to have more different flavours for the price of one high end custom.

But using a percentage to quantify the difference is very difficult, as personal flavour always plays a role. What someone considers a 30% upgrade might be a 25% downgrade for someone else. For instance, I have lot of friends who prefer their bass heavy EX-082 to my RE-252, so for them, buying the much more expensive Hifiman is not an upgrade at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back