REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Jun 12, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #1,891 of 2,117
It's been a while since I used the triple flange on the W3, but when I do use them they have to be modded with a shorter stalk or stem, otherwise the treble can sound a little artificial.  So, I would have to try those tips again, or read my notes here in this thread.  You could search the thread for posts by me with the word "triple" in them.  However, the modded triple flange tips are the ones that I leave on the Westone 1 all the time, as it seems to extend their treble better.  Owning and using the W2 and W3 more, I let my 12 yr old son use the W1; and the triple flange tips fit his ears and mine.

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #1,893 of 2,117
Hi I just bought my first hi end IEM : the Westone 3. I'm enjoying it very much but i've been wondering...  I'm currently using the shure olive tips on them but i wonder what are the best tips that can work well with them? I''m not hearing any sibilance or anything but i''m quite new to this so maybe my hearing is not very developed yet.. :D

PS. I know this question may have been asked a few times in this thread but as i do not have time to read every single page i hope you will be able to answer this question:D

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #1,896 of 2,117
See I've tried those and the normal flex ones that come with the westone2's.  Left ear seals perfectly every time, right ear is very awkward to get right.  Tried different sizes and whilst the large does fit it makes it uncomfortable after awhile.  Any ideas where I'm going wrong.  When I do get the fit right I do like the sound (coming from the likes of the cx300 and klipsch image 1).

Jul 17, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #1,898 of 2,117

Quote:
I find that the P series doesnt stay on the nozzle at all! it falls off as I try to roll it :frowning2:

Wow!  I've never had the long Comply tips fall come off in the more than a year that I've had the W3s.  Do you have yours pushed all the way onto the drivers?  Perhaps the sound tubes need a de-greasing wipe with a cloth barely dampened with isopropyl alcohol and the tips washed with a mild soap (followed by a thorough couple of days of drying).

Jul 17, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #1,900 of 2,117

Quote:
I find that the P series doesnt stay on the nozzle at all! it falls off as I try to roll it :frowning2:

are you shure you have the right size comply tips? , the complys that came with my w3 are a very firm fit when on the w3 sound tubes
popcorn.gif

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #1,901 of 2,117

Quote:
are you shure you have the right size comply tips? , the complys that came with my w3 are a very firm fit when on the w3 sound tubes
popcorn.gif

Yeah, its the one that comes with the W3. I also have the TX series for W3 that I got from a comply contest and they fit perfectly. The reason they fall off i think is because they are long so when you roll it it slips off.

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #1,902 of 2,117
The left earphone on my Westone 3s has started to cut in and out when flexed. Something has obviously come loose inside somewhere although there is no evidence from the outside. It cuts between either perfect or silent, nothing inbetween. Anyway, is there anything I can do to fix it? Has anyone successfully opened them up and repaired a loose connection? I'm not good with that kind of thing though. Are they a goner?

I have no warranty left.

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #1,903 of 2,117
just got my w3s a few days ago. they sound amazing with the shure olives. its hard to speak of IEMS in absolute terms but in relation to my old atrio m5s, they sound a lot more satisfying over the entire frequency spectrum. i was testing them out listening to a certain recording of pavarotti and i got scared when i heard crackling over a particular high pitched part of the song. i played it again with my atrios and i think its just the recording because i heard it again. i was just making sure this isn't because of a blown driver

Aug 16, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #1,904 of 2,117

The westone 3 has excellent detail retrieval , any imperfections in a recording and they will pick it up and it will be more noticeable than on a lesser phone .
Quote:
just got my w3s a few days ago. they sound amazing with the shure olives. its hard to speak of IEMS in absolute terms but in relation to my old atrio m5s, they sound a lot more satisfying over the entire frequency spectrum. i was testing them out listening to a certain recording of pavarotti and i got scared when i heard crackling over a particular high pitched part of the song. i played it again with my atrios and i think its just the recording because i heard it again. i was just making sure this isn't because of a blown driver

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #1,905 of 2,117

Quote:
The left earphone on my Westone 3s has started to cut in and out when flexed. Something has obviously come loose inside somewhere although there is no evidence from the outside. It cuts between either perfect or silent, nothing inbetween. Anyway, is there anything I can do to fix it? Has anyone successfully opened them up and repaired a loose connection? I'm not good with that kind of thing though. Are they a goner?

I have no warranty left.

I would still contact Westone and see if they can help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back