REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Oct 9, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #1,741 of 2,117
I lost my Westone 3 a few weeks ago, and last weekend I traded my Sennheiser IE8 for a new sealed box of Westone 3. I also ordered another set of UM56 tips. I like them that much, although I wonder if I should have gotten a pair of UM3X for comparisons in the future (I already have ES3X and for my personal enjoyment I didn't need two IEM that sounded so similar).

Oct 12, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #1,742 of 2,117
So after months of reading Head-fi and becoming increasingly paranoid that my Shure SE530s just don't provide the best possible sound for listeners like me who want big, brash sounds that are also detailed, I took the plunge and got a pair of Westone 3s last week. Thanks to everyone who has posted their impressions, good or bad, as I feel I was able to make a pretty informed decision.

The choice for me came down to the W3s, UM3x, and Senn IE8s. I've heard the Triple.fis and loved the slamming bass, well-defined treble, and large soundstage, but I didn't like the massive size of the earpieces. The Shure SE530s have been consistent for me across all genres, but for the house, hip-hop, and hard rock that I often listen to, the sound simply isn't aggressive enough for me. The bass has punch but lacks any real impact or boom, while high frequency sounds like high hats and cymbal crashes seem muffled. Getting custom UM56 tips improved the sound quite a bit, but the sound still lacked a certain fullness and power, and I prefer not to use them because I can't eat or run with them (however, please let me know if you're able to do these things with your UM56).

Now that I've had my W3s for a week, I've confirmed that I was looking for a more "U"-shaped sound, and I'm hearing details across the sound spectrum that I just didn't hear with the 530s. More importantly, unamped out of my iPod Touch 2g, the music sounds lush, dynamic, and alive--I find myself smiling and bobbing my head far more than I ever did with my 530s.

I was a bit weary of all the impressions reporting fit or sibilance issues with the various tips, but I haven't had these problems. I get a good fit and sound with all tips, but I get the best overall sound with the P-series Complys (standard size), which I feel provide the most visceral bass without losing too much of the treble energy. The percussion seems to reverberate a bit longer with these tips, thus providing the feeling of a larger soundstage. And the bass impact is incredibly pleasurable--you feel the kick of the bass drum, and you can clearly pick out the notes of bass guitars. If there is a mid-bass hump, it isn't bothering me.

Moreover, the comfort is simply sublime. Because of the short nozzle and flat design of the earpieces, the W3s don't feel intrusive and they don't stick out of my ears at all. The bulb-like design and long nozzle of the Shure SE530s made them somewhat uncomfortable to sleep on, even with the deepest insertion. With the W3s, I can sleep on my side and never feel the earpiece sticking out or shifting when I move my head. The light, thin cable also produces none of the microphonics that I constantly got with the 530s; I'm surprised that more SE530 owners don't note the annoying thumping/scraping sounds of the cable against one's chest when running or even walking.

My only issues which would come close to being complaints:

1. Without using the "Treble Booster" EQ on my iPod Touch and Classic, the sound seems distant, muffled, and dark. I had to use this EQ with my Shures as well to open up the sound and brighten the highs. Maybe I'm actually a treble-head in addition to being a bass fanatic? Even with this EQ, I haven't heard sibilance. Certain tracks, such as Vampire Weekend's "Walcott", produce a slight distortion when the piano hits high notes--kind of a buzzing noise. But this is limited to certain tracks, and I'm sure it would disappear with a quality amp or better equalization.

2. I find myself cranking up the volume, mostly because I'm enjoying the ride so much. After listening, I'll occasionally hear a few seconds of ringing in my ears, but I read that as a sign that I should take a break after a few hours and monitor the volume more closely. It's fine with me, because I'd rather have 4 hours of emotional, fist-pumping, leg shaking music than the 8 hours of smooth, non-fatiguing but ultimately forgettable listening that I had with the SE530s.

Although it seems a majority of Head-fiers prefer the UM3x, I feel pretty confident that I made the right choice. At the risk of oversimplification, it seems that the UM3x's sound signature of forward mids and toned-down bass and treble would have been more akin to the SE530 sound signature, albeit with much-improved detail. Maybe I'm the audio equivalent of a wine drinker who needs the instant gratification of sweet, fruity flavors, but I want my IEMs to instantly captivate me with details and meaty impact, without ever sounding sloppy.

Kudos to Westone for designing a true marvel of engineering.

Oct 12, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #1,743 of 2,117
I purchased both the W3 & UM3x at the same time, figuring I'd sell whichever ones I liked least after auditioning them.

So far, the W3 is definitely winning, but I'm reserving final judgment until I get my UM56 tips (should be a few more days).

The W3 definitely gives me more of an "emotional, fist-pumping, leg shaking" experience as you've described at this point. We'll see if that's still the case with the UM56 tips. Oddly, I don't get as good of a fit with the UM3x, so that may be a large part of it.

Oct 12, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #1,744 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The light, thin cable also produces none of the microphonics that I constantly got with the 530s; I'm surprised that more SE530 owners don't note the annoying thumping/scraping sounds of the cable against one's chest when running or even walking.

...SE530's cable sucks....

But I live with it. What can I say, I'm a mids guy.

(FWIW, IE8 cable > any other cable IMHO.)

Oct 12, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #1,745 of 2,117
I had to wear my SE530 cable inside my shirt when I ran in order to minimize microphonics, which of course required extra cleaning due to sweat buildup. The modular nature of the cable made tucking the cable under my shirt easier.

As for mids, I don't think the W3s are lacking at all. In relation to the 530s, vocals and other mid-range sounds on the W3s take a slight step back, but this seems to allow the rest of the frequency range to be more clearly heard. It seems to me that mid-range sounds are mixed out in front already in most songs, so an IEM which emphasizes them just seems to make the overall sound imbalanced. I also felt that the forward nature of the 530's mids didn't always mean they were more detailed, just more prominent in relation to the other sounds.

For vocal-centric music, acoustic rock (or rock that isn't very hard or aggressive) and most jazz, the comparison between the 530s and W3s is closer than with other genres. But even with these types of music, I still found the 530s a bit too laid-back and warm. It's something of a trade-off, but I think I'm getting more than enough detail and separation throughout the sound spectrum to make up for the mids taking a slight step back.

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #1,746 of 2,117
Yeah, I mean that's cool. My ears just don't agree with yours, and that's okay. Two things to keep in mind. First of all, I haven't heard the Westone 3 (although I will probably have the chance to in June), so I can't comment on it from experience (yet). But second of all, the reason I really like the SE530's laid-back sound is because I am just very sensitive to highs. To put it in perspective, even the SE530, which is to most people considered anti-sibilant, with the wrong tips can sound harsh to my ears. I hate that it bothers me so much, but it does. *Shrugs*

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #1,747 of 2,117
I'm ready to take the plunge. What is the best place to purchase these in the USA? Is there a Forum Supporting Dealer that sells these?

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #1,748 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To put it in perspective, even the SE530, which is to most people considered anti-sibilant, with the wrong tips can sound harsh to my ears.

I see. If that's the case, then I can understand why you'd be reluctant to try anything with more treble energy that could sound harsher. So the Senn IE8s don't produce any discomfort for you? I'd imagine that they have brighter highs than the 530s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG Dave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm ready to take the plunge. What is the best place to purchase these in the USA? Is there a Forum Supporting Dealer that sells these?

I'm only aware of earphonesolutions.com. I didn't buy my W3s from them, but I've bought other things from them. They ship insanely fast, they seem very reliable and they're clearly an authorized seller. You could get the W3s cheaper on Amazon marketplace, but I can't vouch for those sellers or whether Westone would honor a warranty from them.

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #1,749 of 2,117
dj nellie, glad you made the right decision. A few people think I'm nuts for replacing my lost W3 with another pair, but you reaffirm just why I did that. I agree the mids only take a small step back, and to me I like how the soundstage is more open and big than forward and intimate. I have a few "forward and intimate" sounding IEM and I don't all of them to be that way.

BIG Dave, I think Mike at FreqCitySound.com might still have the best price on the W3 - you could email him for a quote.

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #1,750 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the Senn IE8s don't produce any discomfort for you? I'd imagine that they have brighter highs than the 530s.

No, the IE8's highs don't bother me. They're more extended than they are prominent, so it doesn't sound harsh to my ears. Plus, it might make a difference that it's a dynamic phone.

Oct 13, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #1,751 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendrickson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I watched the first scene of Swordfish on Blu-Ray. HDMI between the PS3 and my home theater receiver. I felt pretty odd sitting in my theater watching a movie with headphones on. :p

I was quite surprised at how well the 3's handled it. They gave a sense of surround sound throughout, and I felt the bass was adequate. It may have just been my choice of movie, but the bass is better with music than it was with the scene. It was still a pleasant experience however.

I'm still extremely happy with my 3's. I know you are curious about bass response, and the Atrio is pretty well known for big bass. I'd say the 3 is able to produce at least the same amount as the Atrio, however it doesn't seem to exaggerate like the Atrio did. When there is supposed to be a lot of bass, it's there, and it's great.

Thanks for this, appreciate it!

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #1,752 of 2,117
I don't know if this has been posted before, but Westone will release a limited-edition of the W3 on the 3rd of November: Westone 3 Limited Edition - Westone

There are only 333 W3's, so get them while you can
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back