REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Jul 17, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #1,636 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by talisman42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool. I'll check out the local radio shack.
smily_headphones1.gif

cool.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #1,637 of 2,117
Burn-in.

I read the reviews and while Westone claims no burn-in needed, but headphone observed a minor change in cable and cross-over burn-in. I'm unfamiliar with this.. is there a particular sound (or lack) that I might detect? Smoother? etc?

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #1,638 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by talisman42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn-in.

I read the reviews and while Westone claims no burn-in needed, but headphone observed a minor change in cable and cross-over burn-in. I'm unfamiliar with this.. is there a particular sound (or lack) that I might detect? Smoother? etc?

It just seemed to open up and stretch it's legs better during the 1st 24 hours, more effortless maybe. It wasn't a big change, but It was there.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #1,639 of 2,117
finally got the triple flanges to work using the suggested modification by removing the smallest tip and customizing each stalk to optimize fit. part of the problem was the way i was positioning the phones prior to insertion.

In the past, I've used the comply, shure black foam, med silicon, large silicon, and now the triple flanges. I was actually surprised how different these sounded. It was like the bass was dominating the sound. Now I have the EQ set perfectly. Now I won't have to change anything else! (famous last words)
o2smile.gif

..... how do the um-56 compare?
devil_face.gif

[edit] back to the black foams again LOL!... it just feels like home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got it. They are dark for me too, but again, that little EQ trick brightens them up, without sibilance.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #1,640 of 2,117
Pulling the trigger on the UM56, finally. I am going to have a W3 tip fire sale soon, because I am getting rid of them all (the ones I haven't used, of course). Once you get used to the price, it is exciting to think about getting the custom sleeves. I had them once before (don't work with the W3s), but this time, the phones are much better.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #1,641 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pulling the trigger on the UM56, finally. I am going to have a W3 tip fire sale soon, because I am getting rid of them all (the ones I haven't used, of course). Once you get used to the price, it is exciting to think about getting the custom sleeves. I had them once before (don't work with the W3s), but this time, the phones are much better.

congrats man, i have some large shure olives on the way if i dont like them or they bother my ears then im probably gonna be doing the same if they feel good and sound good ill get some use out of them before i go custom route. Do a review when you get them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #1,642 of 2,117
I will. I use the tri-flanges with the modded stalk and they sound great, but I have to EQ the highs a bit on my Sony and Clip. On the Zune, the highs are a bit veiled (no EQ). So I really am convinced the UM56s will revive the highs. I can't use shorter tips, all harshness to me ears (no doubt my ear canal config).

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #1,643 of 2,117
see i have no problem with harshness but i have the short medium comply's now and to get a great seal i have to stuff them too deep and they build a bad pressure in my ear. I listen very moderately as well usually about 4 or 5 clicks on volume on iphone 3gs. Hopefully the olives will seal a little higher in the canal and relieve the pressure or its gonna have to be customs probably.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #1,644 of 2,117
For me, the medium tips seem to give a strong bass and a warm sound, whilst the small size tips give a clearer sound and a less punchy bass. How do you get the tri-flanges onto the air whole? (the holes seem too small?

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #1,646 of 2,117
Hey tstarn , i managed to put the tri-flange on teh sound tube with effort. These are my first IEM's after counterfeit cx300s a few years ago, and i am amazed how a IEM can create this kind of sound. I dont have a discerning ear, although im almost certain that the w3 have better bass impact than my esw10's. : )

Jul 22, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #1,648 of 2,117
That was my first impression, too when I finally got the trip flange in securely. It really felt like I was listening to something a lot more substantial on my ears.

In contrast, the Shure SE 420 advertises a balanced driver + a sub-woofer, The 420 can't compare.. hmm. maybe I'll try the SE420 with the trip flange as well and see what happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimmy7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey tstarn , i managed to put the tri-flange on teh sound tube with effort. These are my first IEM's after counterfeit cx300s a few years ago, and i am amazed how a IEM can create this kind of sound. I dont have a discerning ear, although im almost certain that the w3 have better bass impact than my esw10's. : )

Jul 23, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #1,649 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by selkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any ideas where can I get one from the net in the UK ?

I mean the cheapest one. amazon.co.uk sells them for £350 but that's a bit too steep.

how about this ebay auction from the US. £200 free P&P.
would you trust this ?
should one expect to pay a huge duty on this ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back