REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
May 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #1,486 of 2,117
Yeah I tend to end up using small tips with nearly everything. With the hybrids and IE8 anything above the orange would pretty much lose all the bass despite what seemed like a good seal. I use the small silicons with the PFE's, IE8's, NE-7M's, etc. Well, I typically use the Small Senn Foamies over the silicon.

I'm currently using the small Comply's just to test them out. They sound better than I expected but I doubt I'll use them for long because I hate having to squish them before insertion.

I still need to try modded tri flanges and Olives, but if those aren't amazing I think I'll be one of the few using the small translucent tips.

May 29, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #1,487 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my pair of W3's in the mail a short time ago. I've only tried a couple tips so far and had good luck with them. I've used the small clear soft flex or whatever they are, and the small grey silicon tips and I definitely agree with most of the impressions. At first when I read they sounded muscular I'm like huh.. wonder what that's like. Then I put them in and played a song from Coheed and Cambria (Welcome Home) and definitely agree with that sentiment.

I think these might have been what I was looking for as an opposite SQ to my IE8's. The bass is quite good and the treble is pretty flashy. No problems with sibilance so far although I've never had major problems with it in general. It seems to have similar bass to the IE8's but without sounding overly warm. It certainly seems more transparent. I'm not sure how long I can listen to these consecutively but later on I will do an A/B and try some more tips.

Glad they are working out for you - I think we are in general agreement about the sound and differences vs IE8.

May 30, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #1,488 of 2,117
I'm not interested in doing a long comparison right now so I'll make it brief:

W3:

Fit - Had no problems with fit, contrary to what seems to be the norm. Good results with small translucent tips, small silicons, or small/large comply tips as well as medium olives.

Lows - Good, strong mid bass and nice rumbling sub bass when necessary. Doesn't seem to be a constant presence like on the IE8's. Definitely doesn't interfere with the other frequencies. I think the mid bass problem seems to be a fit issue as I have never found a mid bass "hump"

Mids - Despite what I've read from some, I don't find them recessed at all - especially compared to the IE8's. Vocals sound clear and well represented in the mix, guitars sound very sharp and crisp as they should. No sibilance problems to report.

Highs - This is the one frequency which to me seems the least balanced. It seems unnaturally forward. It's very flashy, and you can hear pretty much everything in this area. It's the splashiest sounding treble I've ever heard, although it's what I was looking for so I'm pleased to hear this is the case. The only problem is people may find it fatiguing.

IE8:

Fit - This was somewhat of a nightmare. I still mess with the tips on this occasionally as none of them like to stay put much outside of the SS Sony Hybrids. I generally use the small Senn Foamies.

Lows - This is the best part of the IE8's, depending how much you love bass. I feel these offer the best sub bass out of any IEM's I have tried, and offer great bass impact as well. Unfortunately the heavy and unnatural bass presence hurts some of the overall clarity and makes things sound a bit less precise.

Mids - The mids on the IE8 are silky smooth. If someone ever heard sibilance that wasn't very present in the recording the IE8's I would be very surprised. The only downside with the mids on the IE8's is that they're the odd frequency out in terms of balance, being overshadowed by the highs and lows.

Highs - To my ears, the IE8 has pretty nice treble after burn in although it's still not the greatest. I think it has a nice sparkle but isn't always as present as I would like it, depending on what I'm listening to.

Both - The IE8's offer more bass quantity, a bit better punch and slightly better sub bass, along with a bigger soundstage. The W3's have better vocals and highs, as well as clarity and separation, to me, although people who are sensitive to high frequencies or have easily fatigued ears may prefer the highs of the IE8 over the W3.The IE8 sounds like a more subdued version of the W3's, imo. They're kind of like the gentle giant, and the W3's are a well trained MMA fighter who may be a bit too flashy for his own good.

Overall, in how they present they music they're close to being opposite. The W3 is more engaging and sounds muscular, which would probably be more likely to pump someone up, while the IE8 would more likely help someone relax, or soothe them to sleep. The W3 sounds like it has the details of an analytical IEM while maintaining the fun of something like the IE8's (although I find this is strange as it can either make me wanna tap my feet, headbang, or put me to sleep depending on certain factors) I generally find the IE8's sounding more relaxing than exciting, personally.

I also wanted to mention this is coming from a Cowon D2, so that may make the treble for both of them a bit more pronounced.

May 30, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #1,489 of 2,117
The treble with my W3 and UM56 tips is a bit more suppressed and less"flashy" than with something like the Medium Silicone tips, but not as suppressed as with the Complys tips. It's kind of a nice middle ground.

The W3 are more like a Grado or Ultrasone or AKG, and the IE8 are more like, well, a Sennheiser.

May 30, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #1,490 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the IE8 are more like, well, a Sennheiser.

Words of Wisdom.
wink_face.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #1,491 of 2,117
(NOTE: I just reread this and it’s really as much about the UM-56’s as it is the Westone 3’s…also, my observations/impressions are based on using a Practical Devices Xm5 and iPhone 3g and lastest generation iPod Classic. And one very important caveat: I don’t know nearly as much about this stuff as you guys do. All I know is what I know, so… here goes…)

We all know that tip selection makes a HUGE difference in the sound you get with the Westone 3’s, right? Well I was making myself crazy swapping out tips, finding the “right ones”, only to discover some flaw and moving on to another.

Then I decided, ok, I’m going to spring for the UM-56’s. Yes, I had already dropped nearly 400 bucks …plus some more cash for an amp (practical devices xm5)… but I had the bug…I was hooked. Besides, how often to get a chance to approach reference quality sound for under a grand (in the speaker/component world, never.).

So I had my molds made. A couple weeks later I got the customs. Excited as hell, I tried to put them in… and tried… and tried. They just didn’t fit… I couldn’t even get them in without pinching and REALLY hurting. So my hearing technician instructed Westone to make them a little smaller… still no luck. So we tried again. Last week I got the third set back. Bingo! Fit like a charm. They can still be a little challenging to put in… but with some practice they’re actually relatively easy.

That said, they are not as comfortable as the gray silicones I had been using… with those tips there were times I literally could not tell I was wearing IEM’s… with the UM56’s I’m usually aware of them. BUT, it’s well worth it.

Simply stated, the customs are the only way to fly. To my ears, the Westone 3’s with UM56’s produce a sound that’s close to perfect. Bottom end is tight… never boomy. Mids are beautiful… as someone earlier said they are no way recessed (not even close)… If anything, they’re more out front then recessed… but I’d say they’re right where they’re intended to be. Highs are crisp, precise, and never overbearing.

Also… I am more sensitive to sibilance then anyone I know. I work in production, and when we’re in the studio I’m constantly picking up on things that other people can’t hear, even after I bring it to their attention. With the gray silicones I heard the sibilance that other people have mentioned. And it was starting to drive me crazy (in fact, that’s probably what pushed me to the UM-56’s). With the customs there is no sibilance. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Again, this is coming from someone who is always asking the engineer to “De-ess” the voice track.

Clarity. This is really what it’s all about. With other IEM’s I’ve used I was always aware of those infamous veils between me and the music… lots of veils. With the Westone 3’s and my UM -56’s there is virtually nothing between me and the music. You can feel the resonance of strings. You can hear the room (particularly in older, more natural recordings). You can see the instruments. In other words, you are there. On some really well recorded albums, the clarity is shocking.

I do, however, have one minor complaint. Soundstage. Perhaps I just don’t have enough experience with IEM’s (and headphones in general)… but I was expecting more. On a vertical plane I rarely hear anything that extends more than a few inches or so beyond my ears. I had read about instruments being 5, 10, even 15 feet out on extreme mixes. Man I just don’t hear it. My sound stage is slightly more than a headstage: about a foot out from my left hear to a foot out from my right ear; and from just below ear level to a foot or so above my head. In all fairness though, all the instruments usually find their own unique spot on the stage (the stage also extends from the rear of my head to a little out front), and the imaging is really clear and three-dimensional…It’s just smaller than I expected.

That aside, these monitors and tips are awesome together. And I believe they’re awesome for any type of music. In fact, I’ve started rediscovering my music collection again. Here’s some of the music I’ve listened to in the last couple of days, all of which has sounded amazing.

Ricki Lee Jones, Pop. An exquisitely produced album. You’re there, in the room with the musicians… much like virtually any Chesky produced album (I was also listening to Bucky Pizzarelli, Swing Live and The Body Acoustic featuring a variety of artists including Randy Brecker).

Like something harder? Put on Led Zeppelin II… Whole Lotta Love will blow your ass away.

Pink Floyd the Wall… haven’t listened to it in a long time. Unbelievable, particularly the whole Trial sequence… wow.

Rolling Stones, Beggars Banquet… Sympathy for the Devil sounds better than I’ve ever heard it.

Some others: Jeff Beck, Blow by Blow. Steeley Dan, Gaucho. Crosby, Stills and Nash, the first album. The Band, the album by the same name, Paul McCartney, Ram…man, I can go on and on. Obviously, the better the recording, the better it will sound. But with these monitors (and tips and amp) I find that just about anything I put on sounds good.

Bottom line: Before I got the custom tips I can’t honestly say I was happy with my Westone 3’s. Since I got them, I’m thrilled. More importantly, I’m starting to move to a place where I’m not constantly evaluating the monitors, but I’m actually able to just sit back and enjoy the music.

And isn’t that what it’s all about in the first place?

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #1,492 of 2,117
WOW, just upgraded from ety er6i to WESTONE 3 and as a junior head-fi'er all i can say is "SIMPLY AMAZING", cant wait as in 2 weeks im getting custom moulds from ACS

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #1,493 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do, however, have one minor complaint. Soundstage. Perhaps I just don’t have enough experience with IEM’s (and headphones in general)… but I was expecting more. On a vertical plane I rarely hear anything that extends more than a few inches or so beyond my ears. I had read about instruments being 5, 10, even 15 feet out on extreme mixes. Man I just don’t hear it. My sound stage is slightly more than a headstage: about a foot out from my left hear to a foot out from my right ear; and from just below ear level to a foot or so above my head. In all fairness though, all the instruments usually find their own unique spot on the stage (the stage also extends from the rear of my head to a little out front), and the imaging is really clear and three-dimensional…It’s just smaller than I expected.

Bottom line: Before I got the custom tips I can’t honestly say I was happy with my Westone 3’s. Since I got them, I’m thrilled. More importantly, I’m starting to move to a place where I’m not constantly evaluating the monitors, but I’m actually able to just sit back and enjoy the music.

A lot of what you get with soundstage in an IEM is how well you can use your imagination to project the head-stage outside of your head. Even full size headphones suffer in this way, just to a lesser degree. The only thing I have heard that truly puts the sound 10 feet in front of you with headphones is the "Smyth Virtual Surround Technology for Headphones".

Jun 3, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #1,494 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of what you get with soundstage in an IEM is how well you can use your imagination to project the head-stage outside of your head. Even full size headphones suffer in this way, just to a lesser degree. The only thing I have heard that truly puts the sound 10 feet in front of you with headphones is the myth Virtual Surround Technology for Headphones.

Like I said, I was probably expecting too much. A lot of posters on this site refer to "huge" and "massive" sound stages.... so I assumed it was "fill the room" massive... not "fill my head" massive. My head isn't that big.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #1,496 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by lhamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(NOTE: I just reread this and it’s really as much about the UM-56’s as it is the Westone 3’s…also, my observations/impressions are based on using a Practical Devices Xm5 and iPhone 3g and lastest generation iPod Classic. And one very important caveat: I don’t know nearly as much about this stuff as you guys do. All I know is what I know, so… here goes…)

We all know that tip selection makes a HUGE difference in the sound you get with the Westone 3’s, right? Well I was making myself crazy swapping out tips, finding the “right ones”, only to discover some flaw and moving on to another.

Then I decided, ok, I’m going to spring for the UM-56’s. Yes, I had already dropped nearly 400 bucks …plus some more cash for an amp (practical devices xm5)… but I had the bug…I was hooked. Besides, how often to get a chance to approach reference quality sound for under a grand (in the speaker/component world, never.).

So I had my molds made. A couple weeks later I got the customs. Excited as hell, I tried to put them in… and tried… and tried. They just didn’t fit… I couldn’t even get them in without pinching and REALLY hurting. So my hearing technician instructed Westone to make them a little smaller… still no luck. So we tried again. Last week I got the third set back. Bingo! Fit like a charm. They can still be a little challenging to put in… but with some practice they’re actually relatively easy.

That said, they are not as comfortable as the gray silicones I had been using… with those tips there were times I literally could not tell I was wearing IEM’s… with the UM56’s I’m usually aware of them. BUT, it’s well worth it.

Simply stated, the customs are the only way to fly. To my ears, the Westone 3’s with UM56’s produce a sound that’s close to perfect. Bottom end is tight… never boomy. Mids are beautiful… as someone earlier said they are no way recessed (not even close)… If anything, they’re more out front then recessed… but I’d say they’re right where they’re intended to be. Highs are crisp, precise, and never overbearing.

Also… I am more sensitive to sibilance then anyone I know. I work in production, and when we’re in the studio I’m constantly picking up on things that other people can’t hear, even after I bring it to their attention. With the gray silicones I heard the sibilance that other people have mentioned. And it was starting to drive me crazy (in fact, that’s probably what pushed me to the UM-56’s). With the customs there is no sibilance. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Again, this is coming from someone who is always asking the engineer to “De-ess” the voice track.

Clarity. This is really what it’s all about. With other IEM’s I’ve used I was always aware of those infamous veils between me and the music… lots of veils. With the Westone 3’s and my UM -56’s there is virtually nothing between me and the music. You can feel the resonance of strings. You can hear the room (particularly in older, more natural recordings). You can see the instruments. In other words, you are there. On some really well recorded albums, the clarity is shocking.

That aside, these monitors and tips are awesome together. And I believe they’re awesome for any type of music. In fact, I’ve started rediscovering my music collection again. Here’s some of the music I’ve listened to in the last couple of days, all of which has sounded amazing.

Ricki Lee Jones, Pop. An exquisitely produced album. You’re there, in the room with the musicians… much like virtually any Chesky produced album (I was also listening to Bucky Pizzarelli, Swing Live and The Body Acoustic featuring a variety of artists including Randy Brecker).

Like something harder? Put on Led Zeppelin II… Whole Lotta Love will blow your ass away.

Pink Floyd the Wall… haven’t listened to it in a long time. Unbelievable, particularly the whole Trial sequence… wow.

Rolling Stones, Beggars Banquet… Sympathy for the Devil sounds better than I’ve ever heard it.

Some others: Jeff Beck, Blow by Blow. Steeley Dan, Gaucho. Crosby, Stills and Nash, the first album. The Band, the album by the same name, Paul McCartney, Ram…man, I can go on and on. Obviously, the better the recording, the better it will sound. But with these monitors (and tips and amp) I find that just about anything I put on sounds good.

Thanks for that. I learned something today, and that is I must consider saving some scratch for the UM56s. I have a set of customs, made for my FutureSonics EM3s 5 years ago. Wish they worked with the W3s, but they don't. I also learned we share musical tastes, so we must be from the same generation.

Thanks.

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #1,497 of 2,117
Well, I got the UM3X a couple days back, and I must say- I think I still prefer W3. W3 can be more aggressive, more energetic (due to extra treble). Bass on W3 is better for me too- when fitted properly and when there is no boominess.

UM3X is great too- I would use stereotypes of how "copper VS silver" interconnects sound to distinguish between the 2 phones. UM3x is "copper" (metaphorically speaking)- very liquid sounding. W3 is aggressive peaky silver. But both have a LOT in common and certainly belong to the same class of iems, I would even say that both share the same desk in that class
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #1,499 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubijza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I got the UM3X a couple days back, and I must say- I think I still prefer W3. W3 can be more aggressive, more energetic (due to extra treble). Bass on W3 is better for me too- when fitted properly and when there is no boominess.

UM3X is great too- I would use stereotypes of how "copper VS silver" interconnects sound to distinguish between the 2 phones. UM3x is "copper" (metaphorically speaking)- very liquid sounding. W3 is aggressive peaky silver. But both have a LOT in common and certainly belong to the same class of iems, I would even say that both share the same desk in that class
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. I am struggling with a decision on the two Westones, as I do really like the W3s, but wish I could hear the UM3X before making any rash decisions.

I like both - it seems like there is a benefit to having both sound signatures - W3 a little more distant and deeper, and UM3X a little more intimate and vibrant. Maybe a 1st row vs 10th row kind of thing.

That's why I still enjoy my W3 even after I got the ES3X. However, the UM3X can give me a little more of the ES3X sound that I love without losing what I love about the W3, so if I was forced to live with just one I would pick the UM3X over the W3. But, the W3 with UM56 tips is not that that far off from the UM3X, as the custom tips level the bass and treble a little more than universal tips, and pull up the mids a little more at the same time. So, for now I keep the W3 but plan to get a UM3X soon as well. Then I can spend more time with them and update my review, and use whichever one suits the music I am listening to more. I use my universal IEM with custom tips when I am out and about, to save my Precioussss ES3X from loss, damage, or wear and tear (although I used the ES3X the most during CanJam to try out amps).

The ES3X customs are special in that the position or place in the audience is more dependent on the recording than the sound signature of the phone, as it should be. You could be on stage, 1st row or last row all depending on how the recording was mastered. It suits all music well, and if I was forced to sell ALL my headphones (full size and IEM) but one, the ES3X would be the one to stay (with HD800 the other possibility).

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #1,500 of 2,117
Hey guys, this one goes out to all the ones using UM56 with their W3:
Are you happy with your decision? Would recommend it? I have a very good comfort and seal with the triflanges modified to biflanges but i want to know if there would be more advantages in the sound using the UM56? will the sound get better? i am very exited to hear your impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back