REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Apr 18, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #1,411 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my Westone 3's today, and at first I tried a pair of shortened stems bi-flange tips (modified from Shure triple-flange tips), and was disappointed because like some users, it would not create an adequate seal.

Next, I tried a standard triple-flange. Nice fit and seals very well, but I noticed that the treble was greatly reduced and the bass seemed overly dominant. Also got that brain probe feeling, similar to what the ER4 provided.

After this, I tried a triple-flange with the smallest flange cut off, and didn't modify the stem. The result was nothing short of MAGICAL. It's been a long while since I've had an eargasm, and I must say, I find myself going through all my FLAC songs, and reveling in every track I played. The soundstage was pleasantly wide, the bass tight and not overwhelming, and the treble was crisp, clear, and forward, no long deterred by the bass (which was the problem with the standard triple flange).

I think I've found THE tip for me, as after a few minutes of using my new bi-flanges, I no longer noticed the W3s in my ears. Gone was also the brain-probe feeling the triple-flanges had provided.

Great! Enjoy them.
beerchug.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #1,413 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's probably been said at least once in one of these 94 pages but just another mention that any excess bass provided by EQ really screws up this entire IEM's sound presentation. If you keep the bass to a minimum (which actually may take some getting used to) it sounds pretty balanced all the way around.

This has been my tack since I prefer softips (Large Shure fit me), and use Sony DAPs which are a bit warmer anyway. After doing so balance is more or less restored (YMMV) and as others have said, but for sound stage these are impressively can-like. They've really taken to my lowly (but newest) NH600D HiMD and the pair are producing some very pleasing results. My only lasting niggle with these is the cable - I've snagged it too many times already and fear for its survival - the stiffer UM2 cable seemed to behave a little better - this one actually aggressively goes for snags & sharp corners!
frown.gif
Cheers.

Apr 18, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #1,414 of 2,117
Quote:

I just got my Westone 3's today, and at first I tried a pair of shortened stems bi-flange tips (modified from Shure triple-flange tips), and was disappointed because like some users, it would not create an adequate seal.

Next, I tried a standard triple-flange. Nice fit and seals very well, but I noticed that the treble was greatly reduced and the bass seemed overly dominant. Also got that brain probe feeling, similar to what the ER4 provided.

After this, I tried a triple-flange with the smallest flange cut off, and didn't modify the stem. The result was nothing short of MAGICAL. It's been a long while since I've had an eargasm, and I must say, I find myself going through all my FLAC songs, and reveling in every track I played. The soundstage was pleasantly wide, the bass tight and not overwhelming, and the treble was crisp, clear, and forward, no long deterred by the bass (which was the problem with the standard triple flange).

I think I've found THE tip for me, as after a few minutes of using my new bi-flanges, I no longer noticed the W3s in my ears. Gone was also the brain-probe feeling the triple-flanges had provided.

EXACTLY what I did. :)

Apr 18, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #1,415 of 2,117
Oddly enough, that's the one combo I did not try. Until now. Thanks. No more rolled off highs (nor need for EQ with the Touch/Clip/Sony). I thought you had cut down the sound tube, MaloS. I had one last pair of unmodded tri-flanges, and it worked to perfection. Ahhh.

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #1,416 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oddly enough, that's the one combo I did not try. Until now. Thanks. No more rolled off highs (nor need for EQ with the Touch/Clip/Sony). I thought you had cut down the sound tube, MaloS. I had one last pair of unmodded tri-flanges, and it worked to perfection. Ahhh.

The only bi-flange I've tried were the triple flange with the small tip cut off and the stalk cut shorter, and it was too short and didn't sound right, although it worked great with my SE530 before I made them into customs.

Apr 19, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #1,417 of 2,117
Quote:

Aha, thank you. So my fit is far less unique now, with 2 people to also reproduce it. (I was considering trying shortening the stalk, but decided over time that biflange in its basic form works perfectly).

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only bi-flange I've tried were the triple flange with the small tip cut off and the stalk cut shorter, and it was too short and didn't sound right, although it worked great with my SE530 before I made them into customs.

Well...you could always try it, but what's the point with UM56 AND ES3X in your stash. Unless you want to fill us in on how close our fitting gets to UM56 =).

Apr 19, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #1,418 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aha, thank you. So my fit is far less unique now, with 2 people to also reproduce it. (I was considering trying shortening the stalk, but decided over time that biflange in its basic form works perfectly).

Well...you could always try it, but what's the point with UM56 AND ES3X in your stash. Unless you want to fill us in on how close our fitting gets to UM56 =).

When I get my W3 (with all the tips) back from Vinnie Rossi and Ken Ball who have them on loan, I will try that.

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #1,420 of 2,117
Quote:

...I just did this and this is definitely the best tip hands down, simply amazing stuff
biggrin.gif

Before I was using a bi-flange with the stem trimmed down and it sounded ok at best but now with a pair of bi-flanges with untrimmed stems, I can't imagine much more I could get out of the W3

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #1,421 of 2,117
Yeah, the bi-flange-with-untrimmed-stalk has certainly proved the best compromise of sound quality and comfort for me (even if it means they itch and the W3's housing no longer sits flush inside my earlobes), though I'm still getting too much energy in the highs and a quick trip to Fatigueville. So close! Curse these ears!
tongue.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #1,423 of 2,117
Quote:

No luck with the Jays tips? Hope they got there.

Yes, they arrived very recently and I've been meaning to thank you for sending them. I gave them a whirl yesterday, and no luck as you suspected. Still, I appreciate your generosity! Many thanks!

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #1,424 of 2,117
No problem. Can't see how they can work for anyone, but this who W3 fit thing is so off the charts. I like the bi-flange without the stem cut, but I ended up going back to the modded tri-flange and the EQ tweak. Just sounds cleaner to me, and I can get the W3 body flush in my ear with that tip, but not with the bi-flange. Guess whatever works. I do like the bi-flange sound, but I have to keep fiddling with the W3s, takes away from the listening. I'm good with the tris, and glad something works for me.

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #1,425 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the bi-flange-with-untrimmed-stalk has certainly proved the best compromise of sound quality and comfort for me (even if it means they itch and the W3's housing no longer sits flush inside my earlobes), though I'm still getting too much energy in the highs and a quick trip to Fatigueville. So close! Curse these ears!
tongue.gif

Push 'em in further. Takes some guts, but once there you should lose some of the excess energy in treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back