REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Jan 28, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #961 of 2,117
Go for it !!
hahaha
I wanna get one too
darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #962 of 2,117
At the price the SE530 are going for, if you can't afford the Westone 3 then I would look at the discounted Klipsch Image X10 or Phonak Audeo or Livewires customs instead of SE530 - all in a lower price range and a better choice than SE530.

Otherwise, I would get the Westone 3 and pay the extra, then discover the right tips and ear position to give you audio nirvana (at least as far as IEM go). Another option is the Phonak Audeo and ATH-ESW9 for the same price as Westone 3, but your mileage may vary in terms of how well they will immerse you in the music, but they will fall a little short of the W3 in that regard.

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #965 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9fly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read this review 2 times to get deep into detail. Super review and makes me want to broke a bank. Thank you Headphoneaddict.
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks!

I'm listening to the W3 right now with Gunea Pig "Kool Cats" of my iBasso D10 Macbook Pro optical out and loving it. I'm actually using the grey silicone tips with shallow ear canal insertion, and not my Custom UM56 tips and it still sounds great with good isolation still.

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #966 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the price the SE530 are going for, if you can't afford the Westone 3 then I would look at the discounted Klipsch Image X10 or Phonak Audeo or Livewires customs instead of SE530 - all in a lower price range and a better choice than SE530.

Otherwise, I would get the Westone 3 and pay the extra, then discover the right tips and ear position to give you audio nirvana (at least as far as IEM go). Another option is the Phonak Audeo and ATH-ESW9 for the same price as Westone 3, but your mileage may vary in terms of how well they will immerse you in the music, but they will fall a little short of the W3 in that regard.

Thanks for the advice. This is the first time in a long time that, after some careful research and introspection, I went with a drastically cheaper option in electronics. After looking for almost any excuse to buy the W3's, I went with the Phonak Audeo. At $120 shipped, I feel these are a great price/value point and am glad you brought them to my attention.

I have no doubt that the W3's are amazing when you get the right fit, but as my first IEM, it seemed like a bit of a huge plunge at $400.

Maybe one day I will get up to a triple driver model, but at my experience level, I can't justify the 3-4x cost.

Thanks again.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #969 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulw86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks op, based on this review I'm going to get the Westone 3 for my ultra portable rig

Great - the Westone 3 are still my favorite universal IEM after all this time. Just be patient to find the right sounding tips and the right depth of insertion for the best sound for your ears, and you will be rewarded. I was happy with the sound right away, without any funny maneuvering.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #970 of 2,117
I just sold my Westone 3 and went back to SE530. It was a personal preference issue. I simply can't say one is better than the other. They both have great traits. Certainly SE530 is smoother and more balanced and perhaps a little more boring but I had a hard time getting the W3 v-shaped frequency response to sound right.

Merely backing off the bass didn't necessarily seem to fix it. Still some unwanted bass spikes and the vocals seemed too distant and a little siblant. Great treble detail but a little fatiguing on the ears.

As far as treble detail goes, I'd say be careful what you wish for. I have yet to hear a detailed treble IEM that didn't also bring some undesireable elements with it. Perhaps a better source or amp helps with this but I'm more convinced that ever that Shure knew exactly what they were doing with the treble roll-off. I think SE530 remains the smoothest IEM I have ever heard.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #971 of 2,117
...65 pages of impressions... must not read...

...must not read...

(Heh, I really mustn't, I cannot afford any more new toys at all at the moment!)

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #972 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just sold my Westone 3 and went back to SE530. It was a personal preference issue. I simply can't say one is better than the other. They both have great traits. Certainly SE530 is smoother and more balanced and perhaps a little more boring but I had a hard time getting the W3 v-shaped frequency response to sound right.

Merely backing off the bass didn't necessarily seem to fix it. Still some unwanted bass spikes and the vocals seemed too distant and a little siblant. Great treble detail but a little fatiguing on the ears.

As far as treble detail goes, I'd say be careful what you wish for. I have yet to hear a detailed treble IEM that didn't also bring some undesirable elements with it. Perhaps a better source or amp helps with this but I'm more convinced that ever that Shure knew exactly what they were doing with the treble roll-off. I think SE530 remains the smoothest IEM I have ever heard.

The Shure E530 is a great IEM. I noticed that you listen to jazz and that's where the Shures excel most. You might consider the PFEs as well. They have the highs without the undesirable affects, but the Shures and jazz are hard to beat.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #973 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shure E530 is a great IEM. I noticed that you listen to jazz and that's where the Shures excel most. You might consider the PFEs as well. They have the highs without the undesirable affects, but the Shures and jazz are hard to beat.

No doubt but even jazz music aside, the Shures do better with vocals, period. Heck, UM2's do better (than W3) with vocals.

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #974 of 2,117
I'm finally getting a good seal with the E500/SE530, and I think it's a great IEM. I like it more than the W3; not because it sounds better (I think W3 may edge ahead slightly) but because in order to get the W3 to sound good I have to use a very painful and unstable fit. The E500 fits like a glove with triflanges and sounds great right off the bat. With the wrong fit the W3 sounds terrible.

Definitely second Shures and Jazz. Vocals on the E500 are great as well. Actually they're pretty versatile and do well with most genres.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #975 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No doubt but even jazz music aside, the Shures do better with vocals, period. Heck, UM2's do better (that W3) with vocals.

Have to agree about the vocals and the W3s. I have finally, finally found a tip combo that works, with just peeks of sibilance (and mainly track-based, I might add). But when it comes to mids/vocals, the PFEs are more in my wheelhouse, so to speak. I now do like the W3s in relative short bursts and with the right musical genres, but when it comes to vocals, I reach for the PFEs (with an amp). The W3s don't really need an amp to sound good.

It's not just me (judging by the split views on the W3s). The W3s are very fine IEMs, but for me, they are not an 80-90 percent every day IEM. Not sure what is yet (IE8?).

Spyro, we agree on the W3s being very detailed and potentially fatiguing, but I am going to keep mine anyway, and maybe someday get the IE8s (though not any time soon). I also have the Monster Turbines (no scoffing, they sound pretty good and are a dynamic phone) and my beloved PK3s, so I've got enough to keep me happy for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back