REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 9, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #571 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have found that when I'm listening to the W3 phones, I listen with my iPod turned WAY down (maybe 15% volume). That's not that unusual for me, especially with sensitive phones. What's weird about it is that the music sounds loud to my ears -- I'm always tempted to turn it down a little more. Then I take one of the headphones out, and with ambient noise (in a quiet office environment) to compare to, the headphone that's still in sounds ridiculously quiet. I've never had this experience with any other phones, in fact, I often used that trick of removing one phone and listening to ambient to make sure that I"m not cranking my headphones too much. With the Westone 3, I find that I can be listening at an incredibly quiet volume, but because of the isolation and the detail, my ears interpret that music as very loud. Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

The true indicator of quality.
dt880smile.png

The Desire to listen @ lower volume levels because you don't feel the need to make up for the lack of dynamics with extra Volume.

They make you want to listen more.
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #572 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A custom tip on a universal will usually go to about the second bend as will most full customs. There are a few companies out there who end at the first bend, we do not. Too or past the second bend can help with isolation, really has nothing to do with proximity to the eardrum.

Thank you and all for advice.
Having continued with my experiments I figured that indeed I need the bigger tips with the W3 (compared to SE530), probably because the short stem of the W3 results in the tip sitting further out / less deep in the ear canal.

Where could I get UM56 tips done?
Areas of interest would be in London or in Rotterdam-The Hague, Netherlands.

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #573 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by ib1dance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First Impression when I got them out of the box was OH MY SELF! what a delicate chord/cable for such expensive Ear phones.I listen to a lot of percussive /dance music and thus dance alot whilst wearing my IEM.

I'm upgrading from a pair or UE Pro 5 EB . Which have a 'replaceable' cable that must be 2-3 times thicker than the 'unreplaceable' westone 3's.

Dam! I wish they had a more robust cable because they sound brilliantly vibrant :).

And for percussive music they handle the bass N drums wonderfully.The mids are.....? in the middle and the highs sing away blissfully.

I am going to write to Westone to ask why they have wired such expensive (everyday use mp3 player etc ) earphones with such thin cable.I'm going to tape some extra insulation tape around the cable.

I can only compare these to the UE's and they simply/sound/ feel more natural & have far more a comfy fit.

Over priced in view of the materials they are made of.

Anyway the best 'ear phones I've heard.

Looks can be deceiving...

Actually those cables are the most expensive cables used by Universal fit earphones.

The high-end custom UE and the custom Westone ES2 both use cables that are more similar to the W3 cable than the cables on the 5EB.

My UM2 are entering their 4th year now without ever having any cable failure.

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #575 of 2,117
I wish everyone used that cable (with a bigger Y-split of course).

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #576 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're too big and they're butt ugly.
beerchug.gif

X 10000 on the TF10

ugliest IEM ever IMO. even in the flesh. not a fan from when I owned them. and i'll take the 'flimsy' W3 cable anyday over the UE universal cables. I had issues. and on the insulating tape. actually you might find that that makes them more vulnerable. as they wont be able to flex and stretch as much; which is part opf their design for dealing with microphonics and strain relief

Dec 9, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #579 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by ib1dance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First Impression when I got them out of the box was OH MY SELF! what a delicate chord/cable for such expensive Ear phones.I listen to a lot of percussive /dance music and thus dance alot whilst wearing my IEM.

I'm upgrading from a pair or UE Pro 5 EB . Which have a 'replaceable' cable that must be 2-3 times thicker than the 'unreplaceable' westone 3's.

Dam! I wish they had a more robust cable because they sound brilliantly vibrant :).

And for percussive music they handle the bass N drums wonderfully.The mids are.....? in the middle and the highs sing away blissfully.

I am going to write to Westone to ask why they have wired such expensive (everyday use mp3 player etc ) earphones with such thin cable.I'm going to tape some extra insulation tape around the cable.

I can only compare these to the UE's and they simply/sound/ feel more natural & have far more a comfy fit.

Over priced in view of the materials they are made of.

Anyway the best 'ear phones I've heard.

Can you make a comparison on the bass of the Westone 3 and the Super Fi Pro 5 EB when you have time?

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #581 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick update: I finally found a pair of Ety grey foamies, and so far they're my favorite tips with the W3 phones. The bass is just a little tighter, but just as detailed, and the high end detail is bloody awesome. The only drawback is that the midrange is maybe slightly laid back, but even that's hard to say. I'm giving my ears ample time to get used to the sound before I do my formal 40-song playlist review.

As an aside, I've had a really interesting experience with these phones -- using any of the tips that fit me well, the isolation is very very good. Possibly better than any IEM I've tried. I have found that when I'm listening to the W3 phones, I listen with my iPod turned WAY down (maybe 15% volume). That's not that unusual for me, especially with sensitive phones. What's weird about it is that the music sounds loud to my ears -- I'm always tempted to turn it down a little more. Then I take one of the headphones out, and with ambient noise (in a quiet office environment) to compare to, the headphone that's still in sounds ridiculously quiet. I've never had this experience with any other phones, in fact, I often used that trick of removing one phone and listening to ambient to make sure that I"m not cranking my headphones too much. With the Westone 3, I find that I can be listening at an incredibly quiet volume, but because of the isolation and the detail, my ears interpret that music as very loud. Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

I too tend to listen to the W3 at lower volumes that I would normally expect.

And, I have one pair of Ety grey foamies from my IM716 I have never used. I guess I should give them a try sometime.

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #583 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He did? Damn you Kiwi juice for making me intoxicated!
tongue.gif

If he did mean the CK100s...
I'm still enjoying my ER4S. I'm done with IEMs as of now until some manufacturer makes some IEMs which has the same amount of detail as the ER4S with a bit more bass. Emphasis on "a bit".

You should track down a Xin Supermini amp. It has a built in bass boost that was made specifically for the Etys... and it boosts it just "a bit" - perfect amount IMO

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #584 of 2,117
it was interesting FeedMeTrance to see you liked the music you posted with the w3's.
Else I'm looking foreward to your full review
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #585 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[OPENING]I have to say, that the quality of the bass if astounding, however, I do find at times the W3 is somewhat lacking in bass. Unlike the Triple Fi 10 which (in my opinion) is quite a bassy earphone, the W3 is more quality over quantity, whereas TF10 is a bit more equal.

Are you sure that you have a good seal ?

Very good review BTW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back