REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 8, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #485 of 2,117
Heh, just for fun I thought I'd dig out one of my old Rio Karmas to try with the W3.

Played a couple of flacs (no EQ)and I gotta say, this blows my F40 away.

Theres some serious oomph to the sound, I always knew the Karma could sound good with the right phones.. The W3 is those phones.

Now I just need to try the W3's with my Ipod 5.5 and my TH55 Clie, should be fun. Oh.. and the Squeezebox.. Hmm i forgot about that
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #486 of 2,117
Been Westone fan since UM1. At the time, I was not so serious about IEM and thought that buying such expensive IEM was an overspending on toy.

However, I ended up buying UM2 6 months later.

Look like it is time to empty out my wallet again.

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #489 of 2,117
tough, trust me once i get it, you'll know!

current tracking progress:

Detailed Report for: EH298224907US
Dec 8, 200816:0131AUSTRALIA - MELBOURNEReceived and awaiting clearance for delivery.
Dec 5, 20088:1600UNITED STATES - USORDA

Processed - enroute to final destination.
Dec 4, 200815:0500UNITED STATES

Item lodged

So yeah!

Maybe even TOMORROW, if things go to plan, whoo hoo!

on a lighter note (for those who care) i was picked as valedictorian of my graduating class at University! and have to give a speech.

The W3's have now become a prize to myself for my L337ness!

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #490 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tough, trust me once i get it, you'll know!

current tracking progress:

Detailed Report for: EH298224907US
Dec 8, 200816:0131AUSTRALIA - MELBOURNEReceived and awaiting clearance for delivery.
Dec 5, 20088:1600UNITED STATES - USORDA

Processed - enroute to final destination.
Dec 4, 200815:0500UNITED STATES

Item lodged

So yeah!

Maybe even TOMORROW, if things go to plan, whoo hoo!

on a lighter note (for those who care) i was picked as valedictorian of my graduating class at University! and have to give a speech.

The W3's have now become a prize to myself for my L337ness!

Congratulations!

Also, good job on becoming valedictorian too!

Dec 8, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #491 of 2,117
wow your just a justification machine aren't you
icon10.gif
?? first the achievements for the year and now this hehe

Dec 8, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #493 of 2,117
After a week travelling I finally got home Friday late at night. My W3 were in a parcel in the kitchen. So before I went upstairs to kiss my wife good night I obviously ripped the parcel open.
biggrin.gif

For the most part I can confirm the enthusiastic views expressed by so many others before:
- touch & feel: very nicely shaped IEMs that place themselves very nicely in the concha; the cable is really light, soft and non-obstrusive - all in all very positive
- the sound is an immediate blessing. It brought up memories of when I first listened to the Manger speakers (a high performance single driver speaker) after years with the likes of Kef Reference.

For me the key characteristics are:
- overall an immersive sound experience with a natural, musical feel - brings me closer to the music, lets me forget the technology
- seems to get harmonics right, the instruments sound as they should
- wonderful soundstage, good detail and micro-information
- deep, articulate bass
- a slight over bass+ bloat that is very charming as it makes everything warmer and fuller. The downside is that male singers suddenly have more chest, female voices are a touch too full, cellos have a body that has grown beyond their real size etc. This is a tendency and does not affect the speed or resolution of bass notes, I reckon it must be a slight rise around 150-300Hz for the more technical minded.

The main issue I have though is that I cannot get the W3 to fit me well and comfortably!!!
frown.gif

I have used the SE530 with custom moulds in the past and before that used the medium Shure olives. Both had great fit and seal, just that the customs were a bit more comfortable. Now the Shure olives suddenly do not fit so well and are too loose!? Could it be that my earcanals got wider in the recent past?

All other bits I tried are either too small (all medium sized stuff), do not enter far enough (e.g. large Shure olives), are uncomfortably hard & non-isolating (the clear & grey bits)..... Just the tri-flange with the top ring amputated isolates well, but it is not comfortable.

Any suggestions?

Dec 8, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #495 of 2,117
That was my real hope, of course...
However, the mould (made by acs - Advanced Communication Solutions - Cutting edge in-ear technology) is shaped to cover the first few millimeters of the SE530's body and not just their stem. As the SE530s and the W3 have a different body shape AND the W3 stem is shorter it just does not stay in place.

I will post photos when I have access to a digital camera here... (am again away from home for this week).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back