REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 6, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #391 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM-56 gives me the best balance between highs and lows and mids, and allows more treble and high frequency detail to come through than the Complys.

An analogy might be the W3 with UM-56 are more like an Ultrasone Edition 9 or re-cabled Denon full size headphone, and the W3 with Complys are more like a Sennheiser HD650 or stock Denon D5000. Not exactly like, but you get the idea.

hmmm do you know of any longer lasting comply equivalents? hits the sweet spot for me with the w3s but its a shame it would be expensive in the long run..

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #392 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm do you know of any longer lasting comply equivalents? hits the sweet spot for me with the w3s but its a shame it would be expensive in the long run..

The Shure black olive foam tips have a reputation for lasting a while. p0wderh0und23 uses them on his W3.

Dec 6, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #393 of 2,117
I really like Shure black olive tips. I find them to be very comfortable but also pretty durable for a foam tip. I think the added durability has to do with the coating they put on the surface of the tips. The Comply's are really comfortable, but they don't last long and do tend to attenuate the highs.

Dec 6, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #394 of 2,117
Quote:

As others have mentioned there are the Shure black olives which are quite durable but they do sound different. My preference would be to use the black olives because of their durability, unfortunately for my ears the sibilance is too excessive with them whereas the included large Comply tips have a much more natural treble. This obviously dependent on the users ears and preferences though so the black olives my just work for you.

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #395 of 2,117
Mailman delivered my W3's Friday afternoon, but I had too many errands to run after work to sit down and enjoy them. Sometime today, I will sit and do an extended listening to them with the X5L.
Hopefully, I will be as blown away as "most" everyone else who has tried them. More to come later...

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #397 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just became my W3 but i have to wonder that there are many grey parts at the cable, it looks like there is missing the color or something do you have that too at your W3? please help!

The question was asked before. The white marks on the cable are there to aid the cable manufacturer in measuring the length of the cable. powderhound says they have contacted the manufacturer about it.

-Pony

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #398 of 2,117
Damn. I sold off E4G's (black E4C) and told myself the UM2 would last until I can afford customs in 10 years (pay off student loans, bank loans and general life stuff lol)

I do not generally use my UM2 much at all these days due to the ESW9 and HD600 but now my curiosity is piqued

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #399 of 2,117
Where can one acquire some Shure "black olives?" On the Shure website are they:

Black Foam Sleeves
Tapered black foam sleeves for SE model earphones (except SE102MPA), E3c, E4c, E5c, E500, i3c, and i4c models.) Washable, reusable black foam sleeves. S, M, L.
$19.99

or

Black Soft Flex Sleeves
For E2c, SE102MPA, i2c, and QuietSpot versions. Reusable, soft flex sleeves. S, M, L, or Assorted.
$14.99

or can they be gotten somewhere else? I have been reading most of the posts in the Westone 3 threads and I'm somewhat confused. I have been to the Comply website. Which of their tips are suitable for/compatible with the Westone 3?

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #401 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Shigz
normal_smile .gif

Yeah, I may have missed that. I only remember reading 'rolled off treble' wherever I looked, and never anything about sibilance. I'm very impatient to know if these JAYS tips will help with the W3.

Hmm..I've been wondering if they fit the w3 nozzle at all..

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #402 of 2,117
I just found one pair of large black olives, since with the medium they didn't go deep enough into my ear to get a seal. I will try them and report back by tomorrow.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #403 of 2,117
wow I dont check here for a day and then I come back after reading something worrying about sibilance to ask if anybodies W3';s had 'settled down' or if anyone had found a solution.; and the whole thread is abuzz about the sibilance issues. OMG. this is worrying; I cant stand sibilance. I got rid of the triples for that reason (and the cable broke after 2 weeks!!!) but if it were just the cable I wouldve just got a warranty replacement. but yeah I HAAAATEEE sibilance so I think I might hold off for a little while until a solution is found. I was going to get UM65 because I could use on both my SE530- and W3 so I might bite the bullet anyway; but certainly doesn't fill me with glee.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #404 of 2,117
Quote:

Hmm..I've been wondering if they fit the w3 nozzle at all..

Jays tips fit the W3 nozzle just fine.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #405 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is the foams the flex are the silicon ones

Hockey,

Thank you, I just ordered a pair of Westone 3's and I'm trying to following the posts regarding tips. I realize that this has everything to do with each individual's ears. I'm trying to determine what I should be looking at to get the best seal/sound/performance from my Westones when I eventually receive them, and where I can purchase the various tips that everyone is discussing. Thank you for the information regarding the Shure "black olives."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back