REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 6, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #376 of 2,117
Brings up an interesting point, since most music you purchase via download (or rent via subscription) is 192k (Amazon sells 256, Apple has a higher bitrate option). I have many 192k files (others are higher), and they sound pretty decent even with IEMs like SA6, X10, and W3s. But I am doing some re-ripping of tracks from my CD collection.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #377 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only negative point is the comfort that I have with the clear tips, I guess that I will have to purchase the UM56s eventually.

Does anyone know if the UM56's are made with hard vinyl or can they be made with a softer silicone ala sensaphonics? After a year or so my vinyl EC4 custom tips are like little rocks compared to the olives or complys.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #379 of 2,117
Low bit rate still sound "okay", but you can listen for compression artifacts and hear them easier in the 128 kbps as well as them being a little more grating with some music like rock - and they wont show the true potential for the W3. This is what rate most of my kids music was in, until I switched to Amazon downloads for them, but I had to upgrade them from 4gb 2G nano to 8gb 3G nano for their music to fit in the bigger size.

My eMusic files that are 170-220 kbps VBR don't sound bad, but the micro-detail ambience and space suffers some because of the losses in the music. Typically I am still happy with 256k AAC iTunes plus or Amazon.com MP3, or my 320k mp3 rips if I am trying to fit it onto an 8gb Nano.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #380 of 2,117
Okay, just for the record, the only thing high-end IEMs should reveal in music that is encoded with a low bit rate is compression artifacts or loss of quality. High-end IEMs should never actually inject sound deficiencies like sibilance into the music: That is a problem or "feature" with either the source or earphones. Simply encoding at a higher bit rate will not truly eliminate sibilance.

Dec 6, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #381 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both materials can be used for UM56s. Powderhouse (from Westone) suggests the silicone have more durability, bit sound quality is equal.

That would be p0wderh0und23 I think.

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #384 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wonder does a um56 eliminates the sibilance problem

Most of the tips I have tried do not add sibilance if it is not there in the recording, the UM-56 are the best sounding of all the tips. I don't remember if that was one of the problems with the un-modded triple flange tips that I thought sounded artificial till I cut them shorter. And I still haven't tried the clear vinyl universal tips. I have tried the cut down triple flange, grey silicone, complys P-series and T-series, and UM-56 - and do not hear amplification or introduction of sibilance. I could live with any of those tips.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #385 of 2,117
so the w3 are a 399$ phone (or more if outside usa) that need another 100-130$ for an extra tip and audiologist? 500$ or more starts to sound like it should sound like a 700$ headphone. when this dies down heaps, we will see if it can last as long on top as have contenders like se530 and the ue tf10 for instance.

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #387 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so the w3 are a 399$ phone (or more if outside usa) that need another 100-130$ for an extra tip and audiologist? 500$ or more starts to sound like it should sound like a 700$ headphone. when this dies down heaps, we will see if it can last as long on top as have contenders like se530 and the ue tf10 for instance.

I'm sure there will be others who prefer other IEM - there doesn't seem to be one IEM that makes everyone happy.

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #389 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the tips I have tried do not add sibilance if it is not there in the recording, the UM-56 are the best sounding of all the tips. I don't remember if that was one of the problems with the un-modded triple flange tips that I thought sounded artificial till I cut them shorter. And I still haven't tried the clear vinyl universal tips. I have tried the cut down triple flange, grey silicone, complys P-series and T-series, and UM-56 - and do not hear amplification or introduction of sibilance. I could live with any of those tips.

I like the Comply P series best..(the one with the rolled-off treble so-called)...have you come across any similiar sounding longer lasting tips? how about the um56? does it give the same type of sound as the complies?

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #390 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the Comply P series best..(the one with the rolled-off treble so-called)...have you come across any similiar sounding longer lasting tips? how about the um56? does it give the same type of sound as the complies?

The UM-56 gives me the best balance between highs and lows and mids, and allows more treble and high frequency detail to come through than the Complys.

An analogy might be the W3 with UM-56 are more like an Ultrasone Edition 9 or re-cabled Denon full size headphone, and the W3 with Complys are more like a Sennheiser HD650 or stock Denon D5000. Not exactly like, but you get the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back