REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 5, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #346 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I hear it. And I hear something weird on 'T's too
confused_face.gif

But I found it was worse with some tips than with others. I've just ordered some other tips in the hope it might sort that out, or at least make it less obvious. Even with the slight sibilance I can hear, I still enjoy the rest of the sound signature a LOT. I see that some others aren't experiencing sibilance at all, but I can definitely hear it. No idea why some hear it and some don't, it's just one of those mysteries...

It could have something to do with the depth of the tip in the ear canal, and shape of the ear canals, etc...

Dec 5, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #347 of 2,117
That's so depressing. I just have this horrible feeling that I'm going to hear sibilance too.... I'll give 'em a shot, but based on my experience with the UM2, I don't have high hopes....

I'm such a downer
icon10.gif

Goodnight

Dec 5, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #348 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's so depressing. I just have this horrible feeling that I'm going to hear sibilance too.... I'll give 'em a shot, but based on my experience with the UM2, I don't have high hopes....

I'm such a downer
icon10.gif

Goodnight

Me too (somehow).

Finally I got rid of my UM2's sibilance using some aggressive EQ in the computer (foobar). But doing that was almost impossible in the portable rigs (not as accurate, using the 5 cuts eq. from rockbox and of course the ipod's presets)

BTW, I still have hopes about this one. My main worry is if they beat the Etys, I'm very happy now with them!

I can't find many comparatives between them for the moment..

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #349 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
screw you guys!

i just bought westone 3's, bit the bullet - $407usd ($647aud) frmo FreqCity!

Head-Fi and Westone have claimed another victim!

I got them for $560 AUD from Canada.
But still.. that's two victims from Australia
tongue.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #351 of 2,117
Wow, that is some Head-Fi tale. Glad you gave them a (second) chance. Are you selling off your Trips and IE8s as well? Just curious. I mean, do you favor the W3s that much? Look forward to your review.

Quote:

Well, you can all have a good laugh... I don't care!! This is Head-Fi, and embarrassing audio stories belong here!
biggrin.gif

Briefly, the W3 was just too big for my ears. So I listed them, sold them, packed them, thought vaguely about the small tips, opened the package, tried the small silicons... and, ohhhh, hey presto... they fitted! Something about the size of them made the earpiece less intrusive in my ears. I didn't even think to try the small tips, since I nearly aways use mediums.

But I'd already sold them, so I took a loss (as I paid express shipping and customs etc) - and then just re-bought them again earlier this evening. It works out that one pair of W3 has cost me £392 ($572)
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

And yes, I could have waited till they were in stock in the UK in a couple of weeks, and saved about $100... but the truth is, once I really REALLY heard how they sounded, with the small tips (which I never use), I knew I had to get them again, and there was no way in hell I was waiting an extra few days to save money.

There are so many reviews already, that I'm not going to go over the same old stuff. But tomorrow, I'll just explain why I prefer them to my TF10 and the IE7/8. I always maintained I would never give up my TF10 unless something equally good was available in a smaller package.

And this is why my TF10 will be up for sale soon
icon10.gif

Oh, and the moral of this story is... trying ALL the tips could save you a small fortune! And if anyone thinks to say, 'You should have tried all the tips...' - my response will be, yeah, hindsight is a wonderful thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #352 of 2,117
Quote:

Well, you can all have a good laugh... I don't care!! This is Head-Fi, and embarrassing audio stories belong here!
biggrin.gif

Briefly, the W3 was just too big for my ears. So I listed them, sold them, packed them, thought vaguely about the small tips, opened the package, tried the small silicons... and, ohhhh, hey presto... they fitted! Something about the size of them made the earpiece less intrusive in my ears. I didn't even think to try the small tips, since I nearly aways use mediums.

But I'd already sold them, so I took a loss (as I paid express shipping and customs etc) - and then just re-bought them again earlier this evening. It works out that one pair of W3 has cost me £392 ($572)
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

And yes, I could have waited till they were in stock in the UK in a couple of weeks, and saved about $100... but the truth is, once I really REALLY heard how they sounded, with the small tips (which I never use), I knew I had to get them again, and there was no way in hell I was waiting an extra few days to save money.

There are so many reviews already, that I'm not going to go over the same old stuff. But tomorrow, I'll just explain why I prefer them to my TF10 and the IE7/8. I always maintained I would never give up my TF10 unless something equally good was available in a smaller package.

And this is why my TF10 will be up for sale soon
icon10.gif

Oh, and the moral of this story is... trying ALL the tips could save you a small fortune! And if anyone thinks to say, 'You should have tried all the tips...' - my response will be, yeah, hindsight is a wonderful thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Story of the year.
tongue.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #353 of 2,117
I've got JAYS silicon rubber tips on the way. I'll report on if they help things at all. They should be in on Monday. Tip matching can be fun......
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #354 of 2,117
Damn you Ray Samuels!! I picked up a P-51 Mustang amp last night from Ray and he started talking about the Westone 3. He basically talked me into buying a pair. There goes another $400! Damn you Ray!!

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #355 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm such a downer
icon10.gif

Goodnight

moseboy,

I learned that everything that you go looking for you end up finding.

That is how the brain works. As an example, if you are decided in paying attention to the bass, you will be able to hear more of it and find its different nuances within that range because you tuned your brain into that task.

If you go thinking of, and looking for sibilance, I bet you will find some.

It's the same as looking for the color green in a crowd. Soon enough you will think there is too much green out there.

That's my experience...

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #356 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
moseboy,
I learned that everything that you go looking for you end up finding.
That is how the brain works.

That is so true! Normally, when I've bought a pair of earphones, I like to stay away from the reviews for that very reason!! Once someone points out a negative, however slight - you can bet I'll go looking for it, AND I'll find it, even if it's not actually there
o2smile.gif

Although, I don't think I read about any sibilance before I tried mine. I found that out for myself. But as only a few people hear it, maybe it has something to do with ear canal depth and different tips, like HA says. I'm hopeful that the JAYS silicons will sort it out.

cn11 - did you remember to order mine???

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #357 of 2,117
Quote:

Sure did! Order adjusted. What kind of shipping would you like, Soozieq?
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #358 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure did! Order adjusted. What kind of shipping would you like, Soozieq?
biggrin.gif

Huh? I thought you were hopping on a plane and bringing them to me personally, so that I could have them sooner. You're not?? Crap. Okay then, regular shipping will do, but don't you dare play with my ones. I want my bag SEALED
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #359 of 2,117
I have just received my Westone 3 !!

They are really AWESOME !! Larry was right, they sound like a mini version of the Edition 9
eek.gif

I'm still trying to find the perfect tips for them but so far the clear tips are the best, with the grey tips and the Comply tips, the highs are too much rolled-off for my taste. Tonight I will try to experiment with the tri-flange to see if they can improve the sound.

The only negative point is the comfort that I have with the clear tips, I guess that I will have to purchase the UM56s eventually.

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #360 of 2,117
Quote:

That is so true! Normally, when I've bought a pair of earphones, I like to stay away from the reviews for that very reason!! Once someone points out a negative, however slight - you can bet I'll go looking for it, AND I'll find it, even if it's not actually there
o2smile.gif

Although, I don't think I read about any sibilance before I tried mine. I found that out for myself. But as only a few people hear it, maybe it has something to do with ear canal depth and different tips, like HA says. I'm hopeful that the JAYS silicons will sort it out.

do let me know how it goes..the sibilance ruin what would be otherwise the perfect experience for me..and do you have a link for the pics of the jays silicons?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back