REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 5, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #316 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I own a ton of IEMs and would not put my reputation on the line if I didn't think the Westone 3 was sent to planet Earth from another galaxy
wink.gif
They are simply different.

Sent to planet Earth from another galaxy - well put Flavio.

I think they have Di-Lithium crystals inside!
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/images/smilies/L3000.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #318 of 2,117
Now I really wish I never bought my FreqShow. For the same amount of money, could have had the Westone 3.

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #319 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I guess several impressions about the highs (sibilance, roll-off, lacking) are tip/fit related. (?)

Oh, and Falv, thanks for chiming in. As an ES representative, that's really "sticking your neck out".
smily_headphones1.gif
Hats off to you too.

i experienced quite abit of sibilance using the the grey flex that came with the w3. no more sibilance when using the triflanges.

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #320 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by flargosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I really wish I never bought my FreqShow. For the same amount of money, could have had the Westone 3.

Yeah, the timing sucked on that one. I've been there myself before
redface.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #321 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wasn't going to, just curious if they still sold them. On another matter, did you see that the CNET reviewer reversed them for a hang down style, wonder if anyone here tried that? Sounds interesting, but weird.

They fit me too well to have to try that (refers to photos of self with W3 in his ears).

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #322 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jensen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This extra accuracy does have some downsides though. I have experienced a bit of sibiliance for the first time in certain songs. Also, I find these much more fatiguing than the Shures.

Hahahaha.... Man, every time I look on here there's another reason for me not to get the Westone 3 even though I want to get them.

One thing I have to give it to Shure for is that they made the SE530 so that you can listen to them for hours and hours on end without any fatigue. It's unfortunate and fortunate at the same time that you are also able to listen to them louder simply because it doesn't hurt. I'm sure if I tried the Westone 3 and put them at the volume I usually have my Shures it would hurt simply because the high frequencies are more prominent (relative to the Shure). This is not a bad thing as it "forces" (allows) you to keep the volume lower yet still be able to hear the intricate details in your music.

Unfortunately, if I get the Westone 3 and hear sibilance and/or they are fatiguing, I won't have them for long.

We'll see what happens.

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #324 of 2,117
Seems to me like you are just trying to find reasons NOT to purchase them
biggrin.gif

If there are 20 people saying "yes" and three saying "no", in some starnge reason, some guys hear the "no" louder.

Anyway, if you are still not ready, settle down and relax. In a few weeks time, the dust will settle as more and more reviews will surface. Trying to give in to negative feelings now will only get you in an "I'll buy" and "I won't buy" self-battle.
biggrin.gif

Come on, moseboy, resistance is futile.

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #325 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if the harsh highs are only on certain songs, I would not worry about it. Why let the bad recording/mastering on a few songs ruin your enjoyment of the rest of them?

Because my Shures don't hurt at all. And I'm thinking about paying more money for a pair that might: Reason enough to worry in my book.

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #326 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by AJan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems to me like you are just trying to find reasons NOT to purchase them
biggrin.gif

Oh, absolutely. You're 100 percent correct. That's how I shop for anything sound or electronic-related. I try to find things wrong with products I want to buy and then ask myself if the good outweighs the bad. That's just how I buy products.

You want to know the last purchase I made where I didn't do this? My Westone UM2: Had them for about a week before I sent them back....

....For sibilance and fatigue.

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #327 of 2,117
I understand. That's wise indeed, especially having that UM2 experience. More reason to wait for more reviews if HPA and Vorlon's are not enough. No need to make the decision this early on if you dont feel secure yet. I already saw 2 pairs in the For Sale forum.

So yeah, keep your eyes open as the dust settles.

As for me, I trust HPA and Vorlon enough so I bit the bullet and am waiting for my FedEx guy.
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #328 of 2,117
I guess that's just proof that we all hear differently. I bought the UM2 because it's described as warm.

It's true for my ears. It makes the most sibilant of songs comfortable to listen to. I can listen for hours and hours.

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #329 of 2,117
Got mine today. After a brief listen, it certainly is step(s) above from Shure SE530 and UM2.

Look forward to more fun with the 3's.
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #330 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by ath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got mine today. After a brief listen, it certainly is step(s) above from Shure SE530 and UM2.

Look forward to more fun with the 3's.
biggrin.gif

In that case, your signature could use an update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back