REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 1, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #76 of 2,117
My W3s and Sony S639f just arrived. I'm listening to Yann Tiersen at the moment on my Sansa Clip. It's a poor quality file, so I'm just toying around wile I rip some CDs and charge the Sony. The W3s are a little tricky for me to evaluate at the moment because this is the first IEM I've ever purchased. I'm having a little trouble finding tips that fit well and aren't too uncomfortable. So far I can say that these phones give a certain weight to the music that others have mentioned. A very nice, warm, lush sound. Also, I don't recommend pairing these with a Fiio E3. I tried the amp out with my Clip and felt that it bloated the bass too much and generally muddied things up across the spectrum. More impressions to follow...

*UPDATE*

The small gray silicone tips = win. Michna - Swiss Glide....fantastic. I haven't heard bass this good in a headphone, ever. This is coming from the HFI-780 and Denon D2000 as my references. Every minute this IEM gets better.

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #77 of 2,117
i received my westone 3's and must report 2 negatives in addition to all of the positives.....the shape is different subtly in a way that does allow me to use the shure foam tips i was able to use with the um2's...also the westone 3 like the um2 is overly sensitive and picks up all of the static and hard drive noise from my zune 120......i do not have such problems with the etymotic or klipsch image........

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #78 of 2,117
As impressed with the W3 as I am, it actually makes me appreciate the UE11 even more (as have all the other various IEMS I've tried over the past year).

I do believe the W3 has the FreQ Show and Alien Ears C3 beat in overall sound quality (W3 and C3 very close though). As for the Sleek custom, some will prefer the Sleek, some the W3, but they are on the same level. It cannot compete with the UE11, mostly due to the treble. The W3's treble is severely lacking in comparison (might not be exactly fair to compare honestly).

It leaves the universal market in the dust (SE530, TripleFi 10, Klipsh Custom 3, etc.)

Westone has a winner.

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #79 of 2,117
let me also add that the tips do not stay on the nozzle and the first time i tried to remove the westone 3 from my ears with the comply tips on they got stuck in my ear necessitating a great deal of effort to remove them...i do not understand why westone does not use a pronged nozzle like shure does which keeps the tips on..a big headache

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #80 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some experiences in life you will never forget: The very first time you saw the young girl who would become your wife. Being in the delivery room for the birth of your first child. Where you sat when you heard an orchestra perform in a symphony hall for the very first time in your young, impressionable life. There are not enough words in the English Dictionary to fully describe such life changing events.

I have the feeling this will be one of those experiences after you unwrap and listen to this wonderful creation from Weston, a company whose name is synonymous with world class sound and customer service. You will be able to say, "Today, I heard the very best world-class sound in my life. I truly have heard the BEST!"

Let's not get carried away here... I'm sure they are great and all, but...

I'm a bit concerned with the lack of treble that seems to be a ubiquitous statement with these, even if downplayed a bit because of the excitement in how they sound - Adjusted for FOTM hype, I think this might be a serious issue for those that like treble leaning headphones???? That's the issue that kept the E500s from working as all around IEMs for me.

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #81 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As impressed with the W3 as I am, it actually makes me appreciate the UE11 even more (as have all the other various IEMS I've tried over the past year).

I do believe the W3 has the FreQ Show and Alien Ears C3 beat in overall sound quality (W3 and C3 very close though). As for the Sleek custom, some will prefer the Sleek, some the W3, but they are on the same level. It cannot compete with the UE11, mostly due to the treble. The W3's treble is severely lacking in comparison (might not be exactly fair to compare honestly).

It leaves the universal market in the dust (SE530, TripleFi 10, Klipsh Custom 3, etc.)

Westone has a winner.

Hey, very interested in your comment about treble. I have a question: what IEMs and headphones did you hear to have satisfying treble? (apart from UE11, that is)

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #82 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbrach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
let me also add that the tips do not stay on the nozzle and the first time i tried to remove the westone 3 from my ears with the comply tips on they got stuck in my ear necessitating a great deal of effort to remove them...i do not understand why westone does not use a pronged nozzle like shure does which keeps the tips on..a big headache

You did not insert and secure the tips on the nozzle properly I suppose.

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #84 of 2,117
Quote:

i received my westone 3's and must report 2 negatives in addition to all of the positives.....the shape is different subtly in a way that does allow me to use the shure foam tips i was able to use with the um2's...also the westone 3 like the um2 is overly sensitive and picks up all of the static and hard drive noise from my zune 120......i do not have such problems with the etymotic or klipsch image........

May I ask what Shure foam tips you were using? I am currently using a set of the small "olives" on my set.

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #85 of 2,117
Quote:

Did you make sure the Comply tips are up against the body of the earphone? I cannot see that happening if the tips are "installed" properly, but anything can happen. :)

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #86 of 2,117
Quote:

Be sure to push the tips all they way onto the nozzle. I haven't experienced any tip falling off the 3s yet. Maybe you need and extra small tip so they don't get stuck in your ears?
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #87 of 2,117
Whats the retail on these bad boys?? I may consider buying a used set down the line but i doubt there will be many out there. I have a feeling these will be too much cash for me to drop on iems just cant justify spending money that can go towards my 2ch system or my music selection :p

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #89 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's not get carried away here... I'm sure they are great and all, but...

I'm a bit concerned with the lack of treble that seems to be a ubiquitous statement with these, even if downplayed a bit because of the excitement in how they sound - Adjusted for FOTM hype, I think this might be a serious issue for those that like treble leaning headphones???? That's the issue that kept the E500s from working as all around IEMs for me.

I agree. I'm actually on the way to pick mine up from the post office and I'm curious to see how the higher frequencies perform on these. To be honest, if they have more treble energy than my Sensas (which exhibit a definite treble roll-off) without sounding grainy or exhibiting sibilance, I'll be happy.

After having read most of the initial impressions and reviews, I doubt they'll best my Ety ER-4S in the treble department, but if they sound more balanced and retain tight well-defined bass with some actual impact, I'll be very impressed.

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #90 of 2,117
Severely lacking and treble yet they blow away SE530 on TFPro??

Huh??

Not sure anyone would really understand that. I would hope the treble in NOT like ER4S as that is simply too painful and fatiguing for many of us. A little more than UM2 or SE530 would do just fine.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back