REVIEW: WESTONE 3, the ULTIMATE UNIVERSAL IEM vs everything else
Dec 21, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #826 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me there was never sibilance with the W3 out of the box.
It's been almost 4 weeks now.

You obviously have the W3 ear shape! Please post close ups of your inner ears immediately so I have something to show at my ear-reconstruction surgery in the morning
beyersmile.png

Quote:

however I found that by simply not inserting the SHORT eartips all the way into the nozzle,
it will give me the extra millimeters I need for a better isolation.

I tried the short tips, but they got wedged in my ears. And this was with the tips pushed right down.
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:

You should not have to go through any crazy mods like soozieq mentioned. This should be painless

I totally agree. But from reading all the various posts, it would seem that not many people are having great luck with finding a tip that works. I don't think it's meant as criticism of the W3 sound, just general frustration. And I can understand why people who are having a great experience with them are puzzled as to why others are having such difficulty achieving the same thing. I think it's one of those mysterious things that can't be adequately explained, it just IS. Anyway, I haven't given up yet, the silicon tips give me the best overall sq at the moment, and I have some Image gels en route. So, fingers and eyes crossed
icon10.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #827 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You obviously have the W3 ear shape! Please post close ups of your inner ears immediately so I have something to show at my ear-reconstruction surgery in the morning
beyersmile.png

I tried the short tips, but they got wedged in my ears. And this was with the tips pushed right down.
confused_face_2.gif

I totally agree. But from reading all the various posts, it would seem that not many people are having great luck with finding a tip that works. I don't think it's meant as criticism of the W3 sound, just general frustration. And I can understand why people who are having a great experience with them are puzzled as to why others are having such difficulty achieving the same thing. I think it's one of those mysterious things that can't be adequately explained, it just IS. Anyway, I haven't given up yet, the silicon tips give me the best overall sq at the moment, and I have some Image gels en route. So, fingers and eyes crossed
icon10.gif

Have you tried the tri-flanges or modding tri-flanges at all?

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #828 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the tri-flanges or modding tri-flanges at all?

No, I'm scared to mod them in case I end up with jagged edges
o2smile.gif

And I think I read of a high 'itchability' factor somewhere, which also put me off. But as I'm not using them anyway, I may as well experiment and get the scissors out
eek.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #829 of 2,117
soozieq...

I find the modded triple flange are great as well. I have had no trouble with the fit of my w3's..however the triple flange with the stalk cut down a little and then cut to bi-flange are the perfect fit for me. No itch at all.
I think you are so right though about the " Westone ear" thing. I read earlier in this post that you found the small silicon's the only one to fit for w3 when you always used medium with your triple.fi's. I found that interesting because I was just the opposite...with my triple.fi's I ordered the schure e2c silicone in small because the small UE tip was not small enough. With the w3's I can comfortably use the large silicone.. shorter stalk. My point being...I think the Westone 3 is a different animal. Fortunately...they work well for me and I love them...so comfortable and no sibulance what so ever.
There are things I miss about my triple.fi's... but the fit and comfort of the w3 outweighs them.
I hope the triple flange helps and or klipsch gels.

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #830 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
soozieq...
I find the modded triple flange are great as well.
I have had no trouble with the fit of my w3's..however the triple flange with the stalk cut down a little and then cut to bi-flange are the perfect fit for me.

Okay, thanks. I'll definitely try that. Do you cut the stalk down to be flush with the rest of the tip, or should it be slightly longer? I know it's been discussed in the thread before, but I'd like to exercise my weekly right to be lazy and not use the 'search' feature
biggrin.gif
Quote:

With the w3's I can comfortably use the large silicone.. shorter stalk.
My point being...I think the Westone 3 is a different animal.

Ha ha, that is so true! They have multiple personalities for sure. Quote:

I hope the triple flange helps and or klipsch gels.

Me too. I'm quite optimistic. Having spent so much on my double purchase, I'm kind of fixated on getting the absolute best out of them. So I'll attempt to attack the triple-flange gels while I'm waiting for the Image gels to turn up.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #832 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, thanks. I'll definitely try that. Do you cut the stalk down to be flush with the rest of the tip, or should it be slightly longer? I know it's been discussed in the thread before, but I'd like to exercise my weekly right to be lazy and not use the 'search' feature
biggrin.gif

Ha ha, that is so true! They have multiple personalities for sure.
Me too. I'm quite optimistic. Having spent so much on my double purchase, I'm kind of fixated on getting the absolute best out of them. So I'll attempt to attack the triple-flange gels while I'm waiting for the Image gels to turn up.

or just try UM56's..? (that's the best you can get right?.. and whoever has used UM56's hasn't experienced any Sibilance)
I'm thinking about getting them when i go to Sydney... (very soon)
and maybe I'll get SE530 and compare them with W3's using UM56's to see which one comes on top..
If W3's are still Sibilant.. then I'll just sell them..
Good idea?
normal_smile .gif

By the way, W3's are sounding Goo ooood right now!!!! (using modded Large Complies
wink.gif
)

Dec 22, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #833 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jogiya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or just try UM56's..? (that's the best you can get right?..
and whoever has used UM56's hasn't experienced any Sibilance)

Maybe not, but there were a couple of people who didn't think the UM56 tips helped at all. And I'd rather give the W3 to my cat as a chew toy, than to invest over $200 in tips that might or might not work!

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #834 of 2,117
I have found that triple flanges if need be modded to biflanges are best suited for the w3's and give the best sq and in biflange form for me are fairly comfortable with decent isolation. Soon to be compared to my incoming custom tips

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #835 of 2,117
I found that if I convert triple flange to biflange I need to be careful not to shorten the stalk too much in addition to that. Cutting the stalk and the tip of the triples off is too much removed.

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #837 of 2,117
W3's are giving my ears Eargasms!!!

Large Complies finally worked!!!

i actually modded them... don't know if they would work without any modification... (next pair of comply tips that are arriving soon will clarify that for me)

soozieq, even W3's didn't work for many people.. just imagine how great it would be if UM56's work (maybe they didn't work for a few people because of bad a impression (molding) etc ?)... and even if they don't (with W3's), just use them with SE530's! (qusp got UM56's and he seem to enjoy SE530's more now....)
You have nothing to lose (but money
tongue.gif
)
and is it really $200 not around $120?

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #838 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jogiya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(not sure about "Huh?... that doesn't sound quite right...." part though..)

I just get it from the posts you guys are putting on here. I keep hearing how rock doesn't sound right on the Westone 3, so yeah, that's where it comes from.

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #839 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just get it from the posts you guys are putting on here. I keep hearing how rock doesn't sound right on the Westone 3, so yeah, that's where it comes from.

Rock and all other genres I've listened to sound perfectly fine... people who talk about their non-affinity for rock are just saying they're not the best for it, a great deal of them seem to enjoy the SE530 better because of its forward midrange.

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #840 of 2,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't really matter whether you think he's right, there are plenty of people who don't so his "conclusions" don't really hold any water because he's never heard them. Posting these "conclusions" as facts as he has only does himself and this site a disservice.

The main reason I posted that was to post what I know about my experience with my SE530. I didn't make any conclusions about the Westone 3: I just summarized what I have read. Did you even notice how I made sure I said "it seems this way" based on what I've read instead of saying "yeah, this is how it is: I know everything" ?

I even had a disclaimer. What else do you want?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back