[REVIEW] VSONIC GR07 – Labor of Love
Apr 11, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #166 of 583

Quote:
I was amazed at the utter invisibility of harshness & sibilance.. even turned up to ear splitting levels in treble heavy passages.. I did not experience ANY sibilance.  
I didn't mention anything about the bass cause really, there wasn't much to mention (or worry about).. like everything else.. it's well textured, balanced, and weighted perfectly.  Neutrality is the name of the game.. nothing is enhanced, spiked, or recessed, and certainly no midbass humps to be found.

Whether you hear sibilance or not depends on your choice of music and the recording. I have many recordings which have plenty of sibilance, which GR07 would mercilessly show through. But, it isn't anywhere near as bad as the sibilant IEMs like Hippo VB. I consider it a small price to pay for the neutrality of GR07.

That said, I did not feel any drastic changes between hour 50 and now (120+). I'd say the changes (more opening up, more details forthcoming) were somewhere between hours one and fifty. I am usually not quite observant about the changes and I have not bothered to listen in between, so YMMV.

GR07's bass is just about right. There are no exaggerations or understating of any kind. That's one area where GR07 can hold it's own against most IEMs. It's roundness of note and texture is another thing I like. I was roughly comparing it to many of my IEMs and GR07 made them sound either warm, thick, lean or thin in comparison. It put up a fair fight against SM3, FX700 or CK10, though I personally prefer them over GR07. I wish I had RE262 to compare right now. I have a sneaky suspicion that I'll prefer GR07 at both ends, the midrange and presentation of RE262, but may end up preferring GR07 as the overall package.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #167 of 583
has anyone gotten foam tips for the gr07??
i tried the stock foam and they are too big.
currently using small sony hybrid clone but doesnt seems to be getting very gook isolation compared to my e3g with yellow foam tips.

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #173 of 583

Quote:
Ok thks
Will get a pair of small to try then
Btw the shure foam are they bigger or smaller compared to your hybrid clone?

Slightly larger.

Apr 12, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #175 of 583
Just got them, listening to Arcade Fire's The Suburbs on them as I type.

Note I haven't done any A-B testing, so those are just preliminary impressions.

Packaging: pretty good, but the hard case included with them is not the best... Flat cases like that tend to crush more easily.  But I didn't buy them for the case.  Ear guides are VERY nice, smaller than pictures suggested to me and I don't really feel them when I wear 'em.  No shirt clip, unfortunately.  The cable's not very microphonic, but I still like to hold it in place.

Build quality: nothing to complain about.  Cable could be a bit less stiff, I'd rather have something like the M1 cable which I really like, but the given cable works well.  Wish the strain reliefs were a bit longer, especially since the way these are worn make it possible, but I don't think there'll be any issue.

Accessories: I actually like the tips better than my fake Sony Hybrids with this pair.  The quality is pretty good, and the hybrids bring down the treble a bit.  With stock tips, they sound a bit more balanced to me.  Hybrids could help for those who find them sibilant.

Fit: pretty good, adjustable nozzles really help.  I have to play with them a bit, but they're pretty comfortable they way I've set them up so far.  I still haven't made a real try with biflanges, though; I'll do that later.  I don't think anybody would have a problem with fitting those.  I wear them pretty shallow, and they seal well.  However, I normally wear medium tips, and I have to wear the large one here.  People with large ear canals will need biflanges or some aftermarket tips.

Sound: well, those are my first earphones that can be considered "high-end".  They are way more detailed than the M1s I have in front of me, and they present a better balance.  Actually, there's nothing in the spectrum that really stands out.  At the same time, I find myself really enjoying music with them.  Compared to the RE-0s I auditioned, they don't feel tinny at all, but still have a very nice treble.  This is still early in my ownership of them, no burn-in at all, so take this with a grain of salt.

They are non-fatiguing, but the treble is more sparkly than I expected from descriptions; that's a good thing!  I'm not that demanding on sparkles in the treble, though, so YYMV if you're a DBA-02 or RE-0 fan.

They're pretty fast, too... I tried a few tracks that are problematic with cheaper pairs (One More Time from Daft Punk, and the crazy Versailles guitar riffs), and they're fine.  I don't find them dry, though... they hit a nice balance.

I'll compare them to the TD100-II tonight or tomorrow night depending on time available and give some further impressions.  But from memory (yesterday's memory, so this is not a long time ago), I think they easily beat them.  But then again, they're 155$... Still a very good deal, but they do cost quite a bit more money and you need the budget for it, and you need to enjoy earphones enough to make it worthwhile.

Can't compare to anything better than the RE-0, sorry.  But I like those a lot more.  Fit aside, they sound way way less tinny to me, without bleeding bass all over the place.

Apr 12, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #176 of 583
Thanks for the review.. I'm a DBA fanboy & find the treble just fine on the GR07.  It's tough to compare the GR07 to other phones in the same price range like the DBA cause the signature is different & they present aspects of the sound differently (not necessarily better or worse).  While the DBA is certainly has more sparkle, the GR07 treble is no slouch (especially after burn-in) and in same ways is more delicate & balanced than the (forward nature of the) treble on the DBA.. 

The kicker, as you stated, is how fun these phones can be to listen to despite being very neutral & smooth-leaning.. if a phone is simply obsessed with neutrality and fatigue-free sound, the listening experience has the potential to be boring and bland.  It was something I feared before buying these phones, but was very happy to find that the GR07 has quite an engaging listening experience.

Does anyone know if the cable is silver or OFC ?

Apr 12, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #177 of 583
Apr 13, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #178 of 583
Wow, they sound AMAZING straight out of the box. They are THE BEST IEMs I have ever heard. I am currently using the foam tips they provided and they give an amazing seal. I eargasmed when I first played a song. They are just that good.

Apr 16, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #179 of 583
Hey - so I'm guessing it should be pretty easy to get a pair of these shipped to an address within China?  I'm all but convinced that these are the pair I want, but I'm not really sure the best place to order it from within China...I don't actually live here, just visiting for a few months.

Not sure if I'd want to order it from lendmeurears.com or not, since I don't want to pay for customs or anything...the government seems to be pretty anal about that stuff here.

Any recommendations on where I should buy them from?  Also, they'd have to accept paypal, don't think I can pay any other way right now.

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #180 of 583
There should be a few stores on TaoBao (Chinese equal to eBay) that sells GR07. After all, VSONIC is more well known in China than it is oversea. Not really sure about the actual store that sells it though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back