REVIEW: Vivo Xplay 3S + XE800 Mobile audio perfection
Sep 2, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #76 of 683
  So it has the GR07BE drivers instead of GR07CE? I will have to agree on build quality though, they arent the best. The cable, strain relievers and 3.5mm plug reminds me of apple earbuds lol you have to be very careful with them when pulling them out of players especially my dx90, as it quite tight. Other than this, they are very comfortable to wear. They just disappear in your ears lol Since these are my first gr07 drivers I have owned, how many hours of burned in do you recommend?

I don't think there is a difference between the GR07 and the BE driver, the tuning is probably altered through some external modes (acoustic chamber volume, vent size, etc). The XE800 has a completely different shell so i guess they tried to mimick the airflow of the BE. Checking the XE800 fr with sine sweeps and test tones shows a very similar responce to the GR07 with an added midbass bump (which is how the GR07BE measures as welll). There might be less ringing with the XE800 but i am not sure yet. In general, i feel it's safe to say that the XE800 priced @50$ was a crazy good bargain for those that like this sound signature. I would have prefered a GR07 with a high-mids bump (2.5khz) instead of more midbass and a more even treble responce but we don't always get what we want 
tongue.gif

As for burn in, my opinion is that it is pointless. Just plug them in your ears and enjoy them, that's why you bought them. If they improve with time, so much the better. Also, when burning in phones with specific noises and high volume output, there is a small posibility that the drivers get damaged.  

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #77 of 683
  Yes exactly though, for $50 I feel like I stole them lol

Yep. 
smily_headphones1.gif

As for burn in, my opinion is that it is pointless. Just plug them in your ears and enjoy them, that's why you bought them. If they improve with time, so much the better. Also, when burning in phones with specific noises and high volume output, there is a small posibility that the drivers get damaged.  

+1 on that. My brand new CE sounded the same as my burned in BE other than the boosted bass and recessed mids. Any changes are minimal on that front. Just enjoy them. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #79 of 683
You can't anymore. The seller who was selling them for so cheap is all sold out. They're all going to be 99 dollars now. Still, that's a good price. It's basically a GR07BE with a mic and not quite as good build quality.

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #81 of 683
  You can't anymore. The seller who was selling them for so cheap is all sold out. They're all going to be 99 dollars now. Still, that's a good price. It's basically a GR07BE with a mic and not quite as good build quality.

The XE800 with the default tips doesn't have that big of a bump in midbass, certainly nowher near 5db like in the case of the BE. I expected it to have similar synergy with tips to the GR07 so i initially fitted it with MH1 flanges. The default tips are less isolationg but the XE800 bass response is a lot flatter (it doesn't sound V shaped anymore), so i will use it with these. The treble is also a little less peaky than the GR07's when both are wearing the default tips.

Conclusion: Always take initial impressions with a big grain of salt.

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #83 of 683
I can only use the stock tips, as they are kinda have a long nozzle so my other tips dont work with them. Any other tips for vivo you guys would recommend?

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #84 of 683
  Hmmm, so would you say it's more in line with the CE than BE, or somewhere in the middle?

I would have to do more tests to say that with confidence, plus i don't own a GR07BE so i don't know how it behaves with different tips. Comparing the XE800 to the GR07 with default tips, the XE800 sounds a little flatter, mainly because the treble behaves better. With MH1 tips the XE800 sounds too bassy while the GR07 sounds like a little less bright XE800 wearing the default tips.

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #86 of 683

Quote:

Considering the $99 price tag, I guess the gr07ce its a better choice, since its build quality and brand recognition, right?

Depends. If you want a mic the XE800 is a no brainer. It also looks a lot better than the GR07. Build quality certainly goes to the GR07 but sound is tricky. Depending on your ear canals and the tips you will be forced to pair with these, it's hard to predict which will sound better to your ears. In their default configurations the XE800 has more bass but also noticeably better treble, The GR07 improves a lot with different flanges but i really can't stand it with the default tips. There is also the possibility to tone down the bass by blocking a vent on the XE800 which is something i will have to try soon.

[EDIT]

Yep, you can indeed tune the bass by blocking the vents. Block the back vents and the XE800 becomes almost midcentric. The vents are very conveniently placed on a flat glossy surface so you can easily block them with white electrical tape. The mod is practically invisible, and you can experiment with different sized holes on the tape to fine tune the bass. The GR07 also has a back vent but it's placed on a non flat surface so it's harder to block efficiently, plus it's on the outer part of the shell so it's visible. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #87 of 683

Depends. If you want a mic the XE800 is a no brainer. It also looks a lot better than the GR07. Build quality certainly goes to the GR07 but sound is tricky. Depending on your ear canals and the tips you will be forced to pair with these, it's hard to predict which will sound better to your ears. In their default configurations the XE800 has more bass but also noticeably better treble, The GR07 improves a lot with different flanges but i really can't stand it with the default tips. There is also the possibility to tone down the bass by blocking a vent on the XE800 (it has two) which is something i will have to try soon. 

Whereas I think the stock tips are perfect and find others like sony hybrids diminish the sound. Everyone has different preferences and tolerances so it would be easier to tell us what kind of IEMs or responses you like. 

BTW, @SkiesOfAzel, do you have the classic edition or the original GR07?

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #88 of 683
  Whereas I think the stock tips are perfect and find others like sony hybrids diminish the sound. Everyone has different preferences and tolerances so it would be easier to tell us what kind of IEMs or responses you like. 

BTW, @SkiesOfAzel, do you have the classic edition or the original GR07?

I like flat and neutral. An example of what i consider excellent treble can be found on the Tenores. No peaks, no dips, no exaggerated decay and it extends as high as i can hear. If it didn't have a few issues with attack the Tenore treble would be perfect. You can say i am a fan of the Ety FR curve although i didn't really like the ER6i when i had it 
tongue.gif
 (it lacked extension at both ends though). As for the GR07, i've owned the MKII and i currently have a classic, i've never listened to the original model. Both my GR07 had treble issues to a degree. The XE800 treble is still uneven but on the whole it has less issues than its Vsonic sibling.

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #89 of 683
I like flat and neutral. An example of what i consider excellent treble can be found on the Tenores. No peaks, no dips, no exaggerated decay and it extends as high as i can hear. If it didn't have a few issues with attack the Tenore treble would be perfect. You can say i am a fan of the Ety FR curve although i didn't really like the ER6i when i had it :p  (it lacked extension at both ends though). As for the GR07, i've owned the MKII and i currently have a classic, i've never listened to the original model. Both my GR07 had treble issues to a degree. The XE800 treble is still uneven but on the whole it has less issues than its Vsonic sibling.

SkiesOfAzel
Could you be kind to tell me each one of gr07 or xe800 would be more comfortable to be use on the bed (I listen to music every day before sleep).

That will be decisive for my decision.

Thank you guys for so many substantial info about those two awesome IEMs!

Sep 2, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #90 of 683
@SkiesOfAzel
Could you be kind to tell me each one of gr07 or xe800 would be more comfortable to be use on the bed (I listen to music every day before sleep).

That will be decisive for my decision.

Thank you guys for so many substantial info about those two awesome IEMs!

They are both comfortable, the XE800 might have a slight advantage as it seems to stay better in the ear when the side of the head is on a pillow. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back