REVIEW: Vivo Xplay 3S + XE800 Mobile audio perfection
Sep 2, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #91 of 683

I like flat and neutral. An example of what i consider excellent treble can be found on the Tenores. No peaks, no dips, no exaggerated decay and it extends as high as i can hear. If it didn't have a few issues with attack the Tenore treble would be perfect. You can say i am a fan of the Ety FR curve although i didn't really like the ER6i when i had it
tongue.gif
 (it lacked extension at both ends though). As for the GR07, i've owned the MKII and i currently have a classic, i've never listened to the original model. Both my GR07 had treble issues to a degree. The XE800 treble is still uneven but on the whole it has less issues than its Vsonic sibling.

Oh, I was talking about @joaoalbertofn's preferences, so we could tell better which he'd like. But now I know more about your preferences and it always helps to compare our tastes, so no problem. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #92 of 683
So i decided to test different configurations with the vents and the tips. Completely blocking the back vents with tape and fitting it with MH1 flanges creates an interesting FR. The bass becomes reference neutral, the mids become more forward and the treble is smoothed out considerably as there are only two noticeable dips @ 4.5khz and 7khz and one noticeable peak @9khz. This tuning improves tonality considerably and gives the XE800 some much needed depth on the soundstage, while taking away a little width. The vocals are more forward, the drums are behind the vocals like they should be and the same goes for cymbals. The bass reduction lets the speed of the diaphragm shine, producing a detailed and clear sound with good recordings. Bass lovers won't like this configuration but those that seek neutrality should give it a go.

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #93 of 683
That's great news for those who like to play different setups and improve the sound isolation SkiesOfAzel!

I'm really enjoying yours opinions about the xe800, but I can't convence myself that $99 is a fair price because of their build quality.

For $50 I'm really in, but the construction and build quality make me prefer spend $99 in some IEM that can really last.

Please, if someone find another bargain like that let us know!

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #94 of 683
That's great news for those who like to play different setups and improve the sound isolation @SkiesOfAzel!

I'm really enjoying yours opinions about the xe800, but I can't convence myself that $99 is a fair price because of their build quality.

For $50 I'm really in, but the construction and build quality make me prefer spend $99 in some IEM that can really last.

Please, if someone find another bargain like that let us know!

Build quality isn't bad, it's just that the cable is nowhere near as sturdy as the one used with the GR07. 

As for the $50 price category, i think the KC06 is your best bet since it combines an excellent build quality with a great sound. If you are interested in the GR07 family, the Ostry is the closest thing you can get. It has a driver with similar speed, similar soundstage and the tuning isn't far off either.

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #95 of 683
So i decided to test different configurations with the vents and the tips. Completely blocking the back vents with tape and fitting it with MH1 flanges creates an interesting FR. The bass becomes reference neutral, the mids become more forward and the treble is smoothed out considerably as there are only two noticeable dips @ 4.5khz and 7khz and one noticeable peak @9khz. This tuning improves tonality considerably and gives the XE800 some much need depth on the soundstage, while taking away a little width. The vocals are more forward, the drums are behind the vocals like they should be and the same goes for cymbals. The bass reduction lets the speed of the diaphragm shine, producing a detailed and clear sound with good recordings. Bass lovers won't like this configuration but those that seek neutrality should give it a go.

Good to hear your finds ...neutrality is good for me ...as at now with large stock tip....really digging the sound sig ....bass is very pleasing to me and the only thing if I could change wee bit .,the high seem a bit harsh for some songs for certain part but not the whole song ..any suggestion to tame this high wee bit !

Thanks

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #96 of 683
Good to hear your finds ...neutrality is good for me ...as at now with large stock tip....really digging the sound sig ....bass is very pleasing to me and the only thing if I could change wee bit .,the high seem a bit harsh for some songs for certain part but not the whole song ..any suggestion to tame this high wee bit !

Thanks

Well yes, in fact you have quoted it 
tongue.gif
. The material of the stock tips doesn't allow for a good seal even with deep insertion, so you get less bass and peakier treble. Use MH1 tips and you will fix that. You can then proceed with tuning the bass to your preferences. Btw, If you find the XE800 highs harsh, don't ever get a GR07 
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #98 of 683
@SkiesOfAzel

Thanks mate ...will do that ...got to buy some MH1 tips then ...

Cheers

Get an MH1 along with a OMTP to CTIA adapter. The iem costs as much as most flange packs and  it comes with 8 sets of flanges. It is also an amazing bargain as far as performance goes, which is why i also recommend you get the adapter as the MH1 is targeted to OMTP phones and thus is incompatible with the standard 3.5mm input.

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #99 of 683
MH1 tips are a good option on the GR07 too. It helps put the drums behind the other instruments as the vent mod above, where the stock tips give the drums a bit more spotlight. MH1 tip has a more natural and 3 dimensional soundstage to my ears but the stock tip has better clarity and more sparkly treble. 

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #100 of 683
  MH1 tips are a good option on the GR07 too. It helps put the drums behind the other instruments as the vent mod above, where the stock tips give the drums a bit more spotlight. MH1 tip has a more natural and 3 dimensional soundstage to my ears but the stock tip has better clarity and more sparkly treble. 

The vent mod i mentioned only affects the bass. Venting in general targets the low frequencies. Treble is usually attenuated from the front of the driver, so tips with different bore sizes can alter it considerably. My setup is vent mod to kill the excess bass and MH1 tips to smooth out the treble. It's the most neutral sound i've ever managed to squeeze out of a GR07. It's also smooth which i appreciate since i like to raise the volume
wink.gif

I can listen to the XE800 with stock tips, it's a little bright but manageable. The GR07 with stock tips is a torture for me though, not only is it more peaky, the mechanical resonance around 6khz becomes very pronounced which results in a splashy ear piercing sound. Let's just say that the stock Vsonic tips and my ear canals aren't made for each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back