Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Dec 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #617 of 3,079
Not to down Gold Lion tubes but I have to say that their recent offerings aren't that good. They have too much midrange in my opinion. I have gotten my dad some NOS Gold Lion KT88's a while back and they sound far better than the new production versions. I suspect it will be the same for you. I just find them to sound like poo.

Maybe try some NOS RCA versions or even Mullard, that is if they ever made those.

Quote:
i had the ge 6zb7s at the time but now i have goldlions.

Dec 4, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #618 of 3,079
Yeah, I have some as well and they rank below most of my tubes.  gasmd, you might find that the 6BZ7 even outperform the Gold Lions.  The Lions are ok, just a little smooth/less detailed and not as gritty and textured as my other tubes.  

Quote:
Not to down Gold Lion tubes but I have to say that their recent offerings aren't that good. They have too much midrange in my opinion. I have gotten my dad some NOS Gold Lion KT88's a while back and they sound far better than the new production versions. I suspect it will be the same for you. I just find them to sound like poo.

Maybe try some NOS RCA versions or even Mullard, that is if they ever made those.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #619 of 3,079

Quote:
Yeah, I have some as well and they rank below most of my tubes.  gasmd, you might find that the 6BZ7 even outperform the Gold Lions.  The Lions are ok, just a little smooth/less detailed and not as gritty and textured as my other tubes.  

This is the kind of talk that keeps me from buying a tube amp.  

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #620 of 3,079
I'm not sure if I will ever buy an expensive tube amp. I think something around the $300 price range would be my max right now. I'm pretty happy with the V200 and my PPAv2 as a backup amp.

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #621 of 3,079
Yeah right, you are on the brink of putting in a Taboo order and you won't have to roll at all 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
This is the kind of talk that keeps me from buying a tube amp.  

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #623 of 3,079
I got mine today, but I can't use it yet, since I don't own a DAC.
I need a cheap dac quick, with RCA inputs! (i do not want a NuForce uDAC2)

Do you guys know some good and cheap dac that I can use when I'm saving up for a better DAC?

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #624 of 3,079

Quote:

Do you guys know some good and cheap dac that I can use when I'm saving up for a better DAC?

Why do you need RCA inputs in a dac?? Don't you mean outputs?
HRT Music Streamer II maybe?

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #626 of 3,079

Quote:

HRT Music Streamer II is a common choice around here.

Audinst HUD-mx1 is a very solid performer at $180.

Hot Audio DAC Wow USB version goes for around $150. It doesn't look like much but the sound is surprisingly good.

I'm not sure what your budget might be for this temporary solution but any of the above should do a fine job for now. Moving to a high end unit will of course be an improvement but these sub-$200 units will give you plenty of musical enjoyment in the meantime. All of these can run straight from USB power so no issues with getting the proper voltage.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #627 of 3,079
I can second the HUD-MX1. It sounds surprisingly good considering what all the versatility that it gets. I loved it while I owned it.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #628 of 3,079
Thanx to Robert at Aphrodite Cu29 and mainly to the valuable posts found here in this thread [special mentions to Project86, WarriorAnt and Ollias of Sunhillow] I'm listening now to this small wonder, Violectric V200, pairing my LCD-2, r2 ! First impressions just out the box: smaller than I think, well built and very impressive ! Sound is amazing.... very happy ! Let's enjoy Music !
atsmile.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #629 of 3,079
IMO the V200 its not a good amp for the LCD2s, not bad sound but average, its a soft amp designed specially for the brighter HD800 and the pairing with the LCD2 comes to smooth,slighty  slow and warmer. The lcd benefits for something more transparent, my 2 cents.

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #630 of 3,079
Really, I was looking for a SS amp to complement my tube amp and I read many posts in favor of the LCD-2 pairing + V200.  Now after a couple weeks of owning the combo I have to say I'm a big fan of Violectric.  I can't comment on HD800 but I am happy with my purchase of the V200.  The Lyr is a little more aggressive than the V200 but I like the dynamic yet more laid back presentation of the V200.  Different amps for different moods I suppose.  I would like to hear other SS amps but until then I have no complaints.  

Is your V200 fully burned in?  

Quote:
IMO the V200 its not a good amp for the LCD2s, not bad sound but average, its a soft amp designed specially for the brighter HD800 and the pairing with the LCD2 comes to smooth,slighty  slow and warmer. The lcd benefits for something more transparent, my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back