Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
May 28, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #136 of 3,058

Quote:
Do you have Audirvana?  Not bad for free.  http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Audio/Audirvana.shtml

How is the amp sounding overall?

I didn't want to say much about the amp itself until I get more familiar with it, but I can say right now that I'm not regretting my choice one bit!  Listened to my LCD-2's for 3 hours last night on it, and with my HD800 for an additional two (double my usual listening time with these headphones daily!), with zero fatigue yet with all the enjoyment. I can say that Project86's review of the amp seems pretty much dead on at this point. 
smile_phones.gif

May 28, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #137 of 3,058

Quote:

I didn't want to say much about the amp itself until I get more familiar with it, but I can say right now that I'm not regretting my choice one bit!  Listened to my LCD-2's for 3 hours last night on it, and with my HD800 for an additional two (double my usual listening time with these headphones daily!), with zero fatigue yet with all the enjoyment. I can say that Project86's review of the amp seems pretty much dead on at this point. 
smile_phones.gif

Nice!   I'm still on the fence but the wind is blowing hard!

May 28, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #138 of 3,058
K_19: I'm glad you are enjoying the amp aspect of it. Rest assured that if we can't figure out a fix for the DAC, Violectric will take care of you.

Just FYI: during my various email exchanges with Fried, I don't recall him answering over the weekend. But on weekdays he is usually very prompt and helpful. So if you don't hear from him today or tomorrow it's probably because he is not at work. 

May 29, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #139 of 3,058

Quote:
K_19: I'm glad you are enjoying the amp aspect of it. Rest assured that if we can't figure out a fix for the DAC, Violectric will take care of you.

Just FYI: during my various email exchanges with Fried, I don't recall him answering over the weekend. But on weekdays he is usually very prompt and helpful. So if you don't hear from him today or tomorrow it's probably because he is not at work. 

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for sure.

Here's what Robert at Aphrodite had to say:

[size=10pt]Hi there,

Which version of Foobar are you using?
I have noticed the clicking with certain equipment myself. Try setting the buffer to 200ms or even 100ms.

Also, under Foobar - preferences/advanced/playback... try setting the Full file buffering up to 500,000,000 (default is 0)
Some people do not like the full file buffering because if your system is slow you will have a slight pause in between tracks while each song is loaded into memory. Me personally, I prefer full file buffering because to me I get better song quality when each song is fully load into memory rather than having the hard drive continuously sending the file during playback. I think it is also much less stressful on the hard drive and also uses less power which is important for battery life on a laptop.

You could contact Violectric @ info@lake-people.de
In my opinion though, it is a Foobar issue and not a Violectric issue.
[/size]

Not sure whether it's a foobar only issue as it also does this with native mac players as well, but I'll try to fiddle around with buffering options and see if that makes any difference.

I'll also contact Fried on Monday and see what he has to say.

May 30, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #142 of 3,058
Hope you like it. Congratulations from me as well. You sure took your time. :)

May 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #143 of 3,058

Quote:
Hope you like it. Congratulations from me as well. You sure took your time. :)

It was the hardest decision to make.  I took a really hard look at a lot of tubes but yesterday I was in the Woo forum and suddenly people started talking about how some of their power tubes had just blown out and all that and I realized you really have to have the love to do all that.  I don't want to be listening to music and think what if I rolled in this tube or that.  I did all that years ago and it became a distraction for me.  Everyone here was very helpful in my decision including a few people who PM'ed me about the really nice tube gear they owned and sold in favor of the V200.  Everyones impressions on the V200 were much appreciated and Project86's review was golden.

May 30, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #145 of 3,058

Quote:
That's going to one GREAT sounding setup!

At first I'm going to go RCA out of the DAC-2 into the V200 and then after I pick up some cables I'm going to go Balanced out of the DAC-2 into the V200 and then use the V200 RCA out to an amplifier for a small pair of Mirage speakers this way I can use the V200 in both the headphone setup and a small speaker setup.  I'll use the digital Preamp in the DAC-2 to control the volume thru the V200 into the amp.

May 30, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #146 of 3,058
Congrats Warriorant on your purchase!

By the way, does anyone know direct e-mail address of Fried Reim over at Violectric? I've tried everything that Robert at Aphrodite had suggested on various computers, os's and output modes, and it still ticks on switching tracks on every single combination except for the Direct Sound Mode, in which the ticks don't happen (but obviously I'd like to avoid DS mode if possible). It seems like I will have to contact him, but I don't have his email address.

Thanks in advance.

May 30, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #148 of 3,058

Quote:
Congrats Warriorant on your purchase!

By the way, does anyone know direct e-mail address of Fried Reim over at Violectric? I've tried everything that Robert at Aphrodite had suggested on various computers, os's and output modes, and it still ticks on switching tracks on every single combination except for the Direct Sound Mode, in which the ticks don't happen (but obviously I'd like to avoid DS mode if possible). It seems like I will have to contact him, but I don't have his email address.

Thanks in advance.

I can't wait to hear what the LCD's can really do with a quality amp.   

You can also contact Fried on the Violectric Web site.   http://www.violectric.de/Pages/en/contact.php

May 31, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #150 of 3,058
@ WarriorAnt

congrets for your decision 
regular_smile%20.gif

About "ticking noise" from the USB option inside V100 / V181 / V200

@ K_19

This comes from the relais which is in charge to switch to the converted USB signal when there is a valid signal.

Why there is a ticking noise ?
As you might know the switching from any analog input to a valid USB signal has priority over an analog signal.
To not harm any signal more than necessary, the switching from analog to the converted USB signal is made by a relais.
To avoid buttons or switches on the front panel all this is done automatically.
For this reason there is a circuit implemented to check if there is any "content" in the USB data stream and not only idle data.
When a "content" is detected, a relais is driven to connect the converted data with the amp circuitry.

Every time when there is no "content" (skipping tracks, stop, pause, invalid data) the relais will fall back and will generate a ticking noise. 
This may also be heard in one or both channel(s) due to some small DC offset.

The solution:
As this behavior from the circuitry was often regarded as "nervous" we changed the fallback time from approx 1 second to about 6 seconds.
Now it takes about 6 seconds without "content" until the relais will fall back and the "ticking" noise is nearly solved.
This mods had been done in early spring this year. 

As we didn´t knew that there is "old" circuitry inside the american market, Robert from AphroditeCU29 was not informed !!

Everbody may feel free to ship his "old" USB circuit or the entire amp to our place or to Robert for modification.

Again some words about the quality of the digital inputs (USB and OPTO)

The USB 16/48 is made with PCM2702 from TI.
The circuitry is part of a USB-DAC family and the best in terms of D/A quality.
Unfortunately is is discontinued ...
Sample rate may be 44.1 and 48 kHz
The technical data reads -95 dB THD+N and 105 dB dynamic range.
This means it is average CD quality - nothing more.
We recommend this option to listen to MP3 music.

The USB 24/96 is made with Tenor TE7022 USB receiver followed by TI´s PCM1793 DA converter.
This option is far more sophisticated !!
Sample rate may be 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz / NO 88.2 kHz !!!
The technical data reads -100 dB THD+N and 110 dB dynamic range.
This means it is far more than average CD quality and would be good even for a stand-alone DA converter.
We recommend this option to listen to best MP3 music and "lossless" audio files.

The OPTO 24/96 was made because there are many computers or notebooks having and optical output.
As USB (specially above 48 kHz) is sometimes difficult concerning the right drivers or the right software,
the optical connection is most times much easier to handle.
Also there wont be any hum issues !
Sample rate with this option may be between 28 ... 108 kHz and is not limited to some fixed values.
Here also PCM1793 is used as D/A with the above technical data.

Greetz for now

Fried

Users who are viewing this thread

Back