Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Jun 5, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #168 of 3,062
This might disappoint some people..... but I just use the Monoprice Premier series XLRs. Build quality is superb, shipping was quick, and they were dirt cheap. 

If you are more of a cable person than me, you could still pick them up as a temporary solution until you find something nicer. 

Jun 5, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #169 of 3,062
I´ve tried both Kimber Timbre XLR and Kimber Hero RCA between my DAC and the V200. I stayed with the RCAs.

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #171 of 3,062
From my experience, MOGAMI.

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #172 of 3,062

Quote:
This might disappoint some people..... but I just use the Monoprice Premier series XLRs. Build quality is superb, shipping was quick, and they were dirt cheap. 

If you are more of a cable person than me, you could still pick them up as a temporary solution until you find something nicer. 

I'm disappointed in you.   Just kidding, I was thinking of having Blue Jean Cables wire me up a pair or Monoprice...

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #174 of 3,062

Quote:
I said it earlier, I a/b the balanced against the rca's and the rca's were noticeably better sounding than the balanced input with my equipment.

I  hope this isn't the case for me otherwise it will be a deal breaker.   I need to use the RCA's to go out of the V200 into an amp thus the need to go in using balanced...

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #175 of 3,062
I'm not sure if my ears are playing tricks on me or whether the phenomenon is real, but I'm hearing noticeable changes in my V200 as I spend more time with it. Burn-in? Placebo? Ear Damage? Could be any of the three, but whatever it is it is noticeable to my ears.... the biggest difference being the highs being more present and midbass getting tighter. Hmm...

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #177 of 3,062

Quote:
I'm not sure if my ears are playing tricks on me or whether the phenomenon is real, but I'm hearing noticeable changes in my V200 as I spend more time with it. Burn-in? Placebo? Ear Damage? Could be any of the three, but whatever it is it is noticeable to my ears.... the biggest difference being the highs being more present and midbass getting tighter. Hmm...

People can say what they want about burn in (and they do) but I've found burn in to be a real factor in high end equipment.  Some components need more time than others.  My DAC-2 needed a substantial burn in.    Capacitors need burn in for sure.   Over 30 years now I've learned to trust my ears.   I'm going to let the V200 burn in for sure.  

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #178 of 3,062

Quote:
I  hope this isn't the case for me otherwise it will be a deal breaker.   I need to use the RCA's to go out of the V200 into an amp thus the need to go in using balanced...

With the different DACs I've tried, XLR sounded at least as good as RCA. I know on certain CD players or DACs the balanced out is better, other times it is worse, and still other times it is just "different". I haven't heard anyone complain about the balanced out on the W4S DACs so hopefully it works for you. 

Quote:

Sounds like whatever the cause, it is improving. So that's a good thing. Unless you prefer your highs less present and your midbass more loose...

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #179 of 3,062

Quote:

I was hoping to use it that way to, alas I need to use my Zana Duex as a preamp/headphone amp when going to speakers/or integrated amp.  I actually returned my XLR cables.  So now speaker use includes switching the rca's, turning on the tube set and warm up.  My V200 is what i normally listen to unless it is quiet over here so i really do have to disconnect any time I'm afraid.  Hope your results differ from mine.

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #180 of 3,062

Quote:
I was hoping to use it that way to, alas I need to use my Zana Duex as a preamp/headphone amp when going to speakers/or integrated amp.  I actually returned my XLR cables.  So now speaker use includes switching the rca's, turning on the tube set and warm up.  My V200 is what i normally listen to unless it is quiet over here so i really do have to disconnect any time I'm afraid.  Hope your results differ from mine.

Well I guess I should have also asked what interconnects people are using.  I need some new ones and I'm looking for good quality ones that are FLEXIBLE !  The one I have from my old speaker rig are too stiif to be using in the space I'll be using the headphone rig in.  Suggestions welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back