Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
May 27, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #121 of 3,078

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry if you mentioned it already - did you get the 16/48 or the 24/96 USB option?

And yes, that smooth sound is something I really love about it. It might not have absolutely in your face highs that give the impression of extreme detail, but I prefer it the way it is. I could listen all day and not have fatigue yet I don't feel like anything is missing either. Very well done.

My USB DAC included is the 16/48 version. I only got it in case I need a transportable DAC/amp combo option or in emergency situations in which my main DAC, Stello DA100 goes bad. Under normal circumstances I'm expecting to use it much at all, but its USB DAC seems more or less on par with the Stello USB input (which again, isn't anything special).

Just a question; did you find the need to play around with the pre gain switches? I find everything works out fine at 0db, but I've been told that I could turn it down a notch by -6db if I want more control of the volume control. More I'm close to max volume more the less potential to bleed power, apparently. This pre-gain stuff doesn't wouldn't have any effect on the sound quality regardless, right?

May 27, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #123 of 3,078
My USB DAC included is the 16/48 version. I only got it in case I need a transportable DAC/amp combo option or in emergency situations in which my main DAC, Stello DA100 goes bad. Under normal circumstances I'm expecting to use it much at all, but its USB DAC seems more or less on par with the Stello USB input (which again, isn't anything special).

Just a question; did you find the need to play around with the pre gain switches? I find everything works out fine at 0db, but I've been told that I could turn it down a notch by -6db if I want more control of the volume control. More I'm close to max volume more the less potential to bleed power, apparently. This pre-gain stuff doesn't wouldn't have any effect on the sound quality regardless, right?

From what I've read the pre-gain switches are for matching gear earlier in the chain. Certain outputs are not output at 0 dB so you could then possibly closer match that source. For example the Antelope DACs have different gains for each output, XLR, RCA, etc.

May 28, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #124 of 3,078
Alright, I'm having some slight problems with well... not the amp itself, but the built-in DAC that came with the V200. Through my Macbook Air Bootcamp Win 7 -> Foobar2000, there seems to be a static ticking noise every time I switch tracks... not a huge issue as it's not part of my main rig, but as it's a part that I paid for I'd like to have it work properly. What could be the issue here you think? My Macbook air is Core 2 Duo 1.6 and with 4GBs of ram, so I doubt this is a hardware issue... possibly a driver issue? I've contacted Robert at Aphrodite already to see what he has to say, but I was wondering if any of you might know what's going on here...

May 28, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #125 of 3,078

Quote:
Alright, I'm having some slight problems with well... not the amp itself, but the built-in DAC that came with the V200. Through my Macbook Air Bootcamp Win 7 -> Foobar2000, there seems to be a static ticking noise every time I switch tracks... not a huge issue as it's not part of my main rig, but as it's a part that I paid for I'd like to have it work properly. What could be the issue here you think? My Macbook air is Core 2 Duo 1.6 and with 4GBs of ram, so I doubt this is a hardware issue... possibly a driver issue? I've contacted Robert at Aphrodite already to see what he has to say, but I was wondering if any of you might know what's going on here...

You could also email Freid at Violectric, he's cool about answering stuff.

May 28, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #126 of 3,078

Quote:

Is the "ticking" noise a single tick when you "switch tracks" or does it continue throughout playback of the new track? Does the noise seem to be in the signal stream, or mechanical (i.e. a click from within your V200)? I ask these questions because I seem to recall a similar issue with regard to the Burson HA-160D (or perhaps another product by another maker, so don't hold my 53-year-old brain to this recollection) and I think the issue was explained as a mechanical click or tick associated with different bit rates between tracks.

May 28, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #127 of 3,078
I've been going on the assumption that the integrated USB options, although nothing amazingly special, are probably roughly in line with the HRT Music Streamer products. From your description it sounds like I was more or less correct. That's good to know. 

I've basically been leaving the pre-gain alone at 0dB. That seems to match perfectly with my Anedio D1 which is 2V from the RCA outs. I have lowered it when testing other DACs or CD players and it was helpful for getting the volume control to work in a good range. I would just leave it alone for now unless you find yourself constantly at the lowest or highest ends of the volume knob. 

For your USB issue: I'm no Mac expert...  Can you try different output modes in Foobar? Like WASAPI or Kernel Streaming? Does it happen after every track or just sometimes? Specifically, does it happen even when the tracks being played are all the same, like 16-bit/44.1kHz? Because I know some DACs make noises when switching modes from 16/44 to 24/96 or some other sample rate. Do you have access to another computer for testing? Maybe have a friend come by with a laptop or netbook, and see if you can reproduce the issue.

May 28, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #128 of 3,078

Quote:
Is the "ticking" noise a single tick when you "switch tracks" or does it continue throughout playback of the new track? Does the noise seem to be in the signal stream, or mechanical (i.e. a click from within your V200)? I ask these questions because I seem to recall a similar issue with regard to the Burson HA-160D (or perhaps another product by another maker, so don't hold my 53-year-old brain to this recollection) and I think the issue was explained as a mechanical click or tick associated with different bit rates between tracks.

It's a single tick issue when I switch the tracks. Right before the next track starts I hear a static tick, always from the left side of my headphones.

May 28, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #129 of 3,078

Quote:
I've been going on the assumption that the integrated USB options, although nothing amazingly special, are probably roughly in line with the HRT Music Streamer products. From your description it sounds like I was more or less correct. That's good to know. 

I've basically been leaving the pre-gain alone at 0dB. That seems to match perfectly with my Anedio D1 which is 2V from the RCA outs. I have lowered it when testing other DACs or CD players and it was helpful for getting the volume control to work in a good range. I would just leave it alone for now unless you find yourself constantly at the lowest or highest ends of the volume knob. 

For your USB issue: I'm no Mac expert...  Can you try different output modes in Foobar? Like WASAPI or Kernel Streaming? Does it happen after every track or just sometimes? Specifically, does it happen even when the tracks being played are all the same, like 16-bit/44.1kHz? Because I know some DACs make noises when switching modes from 16/44 to 24/96 or some other sample rate. Do you have access to another computer for testing? Maybe have a friend come by with a laptop or netbook, and see if you can reproduce the issue.

Yup. I would say the USB option is solid to have as a backup or as a all-in-one transportable option. With that said my Hiface -> DA100 is obviously miles better, of course.
cool.gif

I've tried all different modes in Foobar. WASAPI, KS, ASIO, DS. It seems to happen on every track regardless of their sampling rate (this is something I checked first as I've had this trouble with my Hiface before). I do have another computer I plan to test on and will likely do that later in the day and report back.

May 28, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #130 of 3,078

Quote:

Yup. I would say the USB option is solid to have as a backup or as a all-in-one transportable option. With that said my Hiface -> DA100 is obviously miles better, of course.
cool.gif

I've tried all different modes in Foobar. WASAPI, KS, ASIO, DS. It seems to happen on every track regardless of their sampling rate (this is something I checked first as I've had this trouble with my Hiface before). I do have another computer I plan to test on and will likely do that later in the day and report back.

Sounds good, let us know what you discover. I'm sure Fried from Violectric an/or Robert from Aphrodite will be able to help if it comes to that.

May 28, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #131 of 3,078
it happen to me some time ago that i also hear sporadic and ramdom  clicl noises (foobar w 7 v800) and I found that  when the laptop was connected to the wifi
produced this kind of noises
I week ago I exchange for a couple of day my v800 and my fried give his hrt 2+  streamer ' the quality  was very low compared to the v800 bu what I was really disgusted is that very ramdom whithot touching any setting  I hear a loud (very loud) white noise burst that  caused me to jump ! of my chair anyway in a couple of days my dac will return and  i will return to listen to my music calm without any hesitation

May 28, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #132 of 3,078

Quote:

Just curious if you've tried any of the Mac native players and if so do the tracks still click?

May 28, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #133 of 3,078

Quote:
Just curious if you've tried any of the Mac native players and if so do the tracks still click?

I do plan to try that out as well through iTunes and Decibel on OSX. I'll let you all know how it goes.

May 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #134 of 3,078
Just tried it through the OSX with both Decibel and iTunes. The ticking remains everytime I switch tracks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back