Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
May 21, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #91 of 3,058
The V200 isn't dark with the LCD2.

In fact, to my hearing it brings out the high frequency content very, very well, perhaps the best I've heard so far, and has superb detail and separation from top to bottom.

Only my opinion though.

May 21, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #92 of 3,058

Quote:
The V200 isn't dark with the LCD2.

In fact, to my hearing it brings out the high frequency content very, very well, perhaps the best I've heard so far, and has superb detail and separation from top to bottom.

Only my opinion though.

I'm so close to getting the V200.  I'm just holding out because I'll only be getting one amp for my rig and I want to know if it has that magic to it.  That something that draws you into the music and makes you forget everything is plugged into the wall.  I don't really want to say the magic of tubes but something like the magic of tubes without saying that. 

May 21, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #93 of 3,058
That's how it sounds to me.  Sounds more tubey than my tube amp.  Though it is not on as high a level as my tube amp, it costs one third and is better all around amp for all phones.  My tube amp is an OLT amp and good mainly for high impedance phones.  

When i have checked the V200 against more analytical amps, even though it is warmer, it still has more detail than they do.

May 21, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #94 of 3,058

Quote:
That's how it sounds to me.  Sounds more tubey than my tube amp.  Though it is not on as high a level as my tube amp, it costs one third and is better all around amp for all phones.  My tube amp is an OLT amp and good mainly for high impedance phones.  

When i have checked the V200 against more analytical amps, even though it is warmer, it still has more detail than they do.

Thanks

May 21, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #95 of 3,058
You may thank me but your wallet is scowling.
tongue.gif

May 21, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #97 of 3,058
Took a couple of photos today of my Violectric HPA V200. 

May 21, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #100 of 3,058
I've had a V200 for about a month and love it with LCD-2s (Silver Dragon SE cable) and DLIII Dac. The other day I got a Lyr and have had just a bit of time to compare the two, using the stock tubes in the Lyr and obviously not really burned in. The V200 is a bit darker sounding in comparison but I don't think I'd call it dark. The resolution on both are fantastic with great detail. So far I think voices perhaps sound a bit more forward on the Lyr, if that makes sense. A little extra sizzle on cymbals on the Lyr but no greater detail than on the V200. Wonderful dynamics on both when listening to percussion. Both complement the bass capabilities of the LCD-2 very well. The whole spectrum from bass through mids to treble is very nicely presented on both. The slightly darker sound of the V200 is in no way like a veil over the music but, well, just darker. I'd obviously make a poor audio reviewer.
I listen to lots of rock, blues, some jazzy stuff like Patricia Barber, older female vocalists like Maria Muldaur and love the LCD-2/V200 combination and in the less than 48 hours I've had the Lyr  I really like it with the LCD-2 as well. I have some Gold Lions and Amperex 7308s that I'll try in the Lyr if I can get the tubes out! With the music I like I may just enjoy both for a bit and see where that goes. For now I find with both the V200 and Lyr I can put the music on, sit back and enjoy.
FWIW I got the V200 (with USB input) on Audiogon for $700 so was happy with that as you couldn't tell it from new.
Don't know if this helps the thread but here it is anyway.
Cheers

May 21, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #102 of 3,058

Quote:
Landgreen, does that "dark" sensation make you feel like you want to lean into the music more to hear it?

No. (Not sure if I'm missing some humour and well intentioned sarcasm with the question) I'm trying to think of how best to describe this. As I said, I'd be a horrible audio reviewer. How about putting it in visual terms. It's like the same amount of detail and dynamics but one on a background of grey and one on a background of white. I could live happily  with either, even early in my Lyr discovery time. The difference is very subtle compared to listening to the same music on Lyr/LCD-2 or V200/LCD-2 and then on WA2/T1.
The WA2/T1 synergy is very good in it's own way but to me lacks the power of the LCD-2s with Lyr or V200.
I'm still pretty sure Stereophile won't be asking me to review or comment on........anything.

May 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #103 of 3,058

Quote:

No. (Not sure if I'm missing some humour and well intentioned sarcasm with the question) I'm trying to think of how best to describe this. As I said, I'd be a horrible audio reviewer. How about putting it in visual terms. It's like the same amount of detail and dynamics but one on a background of grey and one on a background of white. I could live happily  with either, even early in my Lyr discovery time. The difference is very subtle compared to listening to the same music on Lyr/LCD-2 or V200/LCD-2 and then on WA2/T1.
The WA2/T1 synergy is very good in it's own way but to me lacks the power of the LCD-2s with Lyr or V200.
I'm still pretty sure Stereophile won't be asking me to review or comment on........anything.

Sorry! No humor or sarcasm was meant.   I've just found over the years that sometimes when people describe a darkness they don't always mean a lack of some type of high frequencies or a veil over the sound but sense that something might be missing somehow perhaps in inner detail or transparency so they always feels they need to lean just a little bit more towards the music to hear what they feel may be missing.  I'm more a speaker guy than a headphone guy so I may be using the wrong type of example because one can't lean into a headphone but you might feel like you are directing your ears or concentration in that manner, "leaning in" if you will to hear more.

Also which amp is on the grey background and which one is on the white one?

May 21, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #104 of 3,058
My really fantastic visual analogy was meant to have the V200 as the darker grey background and the Lyr as the white background.
I fully understand the speaker vs headphone thing. I've enjoyed music and audio equipment for many years. In the distant past I had some pretty neat systems and then that went a bit by the wayside while happily raising and putting through university our 3 daughters. The Audio Research and McIntosh and Linn and  Magnepans went away in trade for more family oriented home theatre stuff. Now I go to my favourite audio shop and see that what I want in a speaker system is quite expensive. I've always enjoyed plunking down on the couch with my trusty old AKG240s and discovered this forum and thought a more cost effective way to go now would be the headphone route. Bought the T1s, DLIII and WA2 and that was impressive but kept hearing about the tremendous bass and presence of the LCD-2. Bought them, they didn't work well with my WA2 (even though others have had good success) so I bought the V200 and Lyr and here I am making a buffoon out of myself trying to describe what I'm hearing. I do really like the LCD-2s with either amp.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back