Review: Ultrasone Edition 9 and Proline 2500
Aug 15, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #61 of 131
Ok, I don't get all of this. The 750 is the same driver as the Ed. 9? So what is the difference? Winding material, picking them?

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #62 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I don't get all of this. The 750 is the same driver as the Ed. 9? So what is the difference? Winding material, picking them?

I know this is not going to be very helpful the the major difference is the sound that you hear. You will have hear it to appreciate it.

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #63 of 131
Quote:

We will talk about it, but the difference is entirely in the chassis obviously. You would be surprised how much difference a chassis can make. Think Westone UM-2 and ES-2, where ES-2 is vastly awesome while UM-2 is a dark IEM with not very good treble and bloated bass.

Aug 16, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #64 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Modwright Denon 3910 "Universal Truth Mod" coming soon...

I just noticed you have a modded Denon on the way, as do I! Dan is currently working on mine. I opted for the tube-rectified PS, with an estimated ship back date of 8/20 (which will get to me the following week). Can't wait.

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #65 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We will talk about it, but the difference is entirely in the chassis obviously. You would be surprised how much difference a chassis can make. Think Westone UM-2 and ES-2, where ES-2 is vastly awesome while UM-2 is a dark IEM with not very good treble and bloated bass.

what about cabling?

PACE

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #66 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about cabling?

PACE

I can see cabling making difference, I cannot see cabling making this tremendous of a difference...jeez, be patient, let my hand burn in and I'll get into discussion of the E9 vs Proline 2500. They are very different headphones.

Aug 16, 2007 at 11:19 AM Post #67 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just noticed you have a modded Denon on the way, as do I! Dan is currently working on mine. I opted for the tube-rectified PS, with an estimated ship back date of 8/20 (which will get to me the following week). Can't wait.

Rob/JP,
I am currently awaiting the EVS-modded Oppo 970HD from Ric Schultz. How much did you pay for the Denon? Ric also does a mod on the new Denon 2930ci. Check it out:

http://www.tweakaudio.com.

I think Ric is one of the most talented modders/circuit designers around. : )

PAB

Aug 16, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #68 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jeez, be patient, let my hand burn in and I'll get into discussion of the E9 vs Proline 2500. They are very different headphones.

Yeah, take your time, Stas. Any pre-200 hour impressions are not worth much anyway. Add in some good comparo time and you are talking a couple of weeks, realistically.

Aug 16, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #69 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much did you pay for the Denon? Ric also does a mod on the new Denon 2930ci.

I already had the Denon 3910, and sent it to Dan for the full "Ultimate Truth" package. Although he gave me a bit of a deal (I'm a return customer), it was still expensive. But I knew going in that to get a significant upgrade from the stock player, as well as above the handful of high-quality DAC's in the $1k range, I had to spend at least that much. Plus I need/want SACD/DVD-A capability. And for the comparatively modest additional cost of the tubed-PS, I figured "why wonder?"

Ric's mods seem to be very value-driven, which I can appreciate. Matthew Anker of SACDmods does similiarly cost-effective work. It's great to have more guys like this around. I look forward to hearing your impressions of the upgraded Oppo. Maybe we can arrange a mini-meet somewhere mutually convenient some time in the future.

Aug 16, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #70 of 131
Quote:

Yeah, take your time, Stas. Any pre-200 hour impressions are not worth much anyway. Add in some good comparo time and you are talking a couple of weeks, realistically.

x2. my PL 2500 really didn't come on song until 350 hrs or so. i assume with the same drivers, the sound of the Ed.9 will take a bit of time to settle down as well.

PACE

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #71 of 131
Quote:

Just like in loudspeaker-life, chassis and dampening can either make or destroy good speaker no matter how good quality. And this could be especially true with closed design where you have to play around with resonances and such too.

Aug 16, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #72 of 131
I realize that enclosures can make a huge difference but one headphone sells for 4 to 5 hundred and the other with the same drivers sells for 1000 to 1500 dollars. How does an enclosure cost that much?

Aug 16, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #73 of 131
Quote:

I realize that enclosures can make a huge difference but one headphone sells for 4 to 5 hundred and the other with the same drivers sells for 1000 to 1500 dollars. How does an enclosure cost that much?

Hand assembly costs money, materials used are higher quality, different cable. Plus I am sure the 'top of the line' thing is not helping. On the scale of headphones we have available on the market of new/used, Edition 9 justifies its price, even if it seems that it should be cheaper by design.

Aug 16, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #74 of 131
Quote:

Got mine yesterday from and audiogoner used but in terrific condition. I have the SS power supply and would probably prefer the tube rectified one (may upgrade to that in the future).

My dealer said it was the best "Redbook" player that he's ever heard a year ago when I stopped by (forget SACD, DVD-A, HDCD) and he's heard them all. I felt the same when I heard it (I've heard a lot of the top teir stuff. Let's just say my opinion is still the same now that I have it in my system
eggosmile.gif

The dynamics are off the charts. It was a huge across the board improvement to what I had previously (almost embarrassingly so) and comes closer to vinyl than any of the much costlier CD players. The SACD is incredible as well. Don't own any DVD-As... yet...

I'm just blown away and couldn't be happier. Sorry to make the last few days of your wait longer, but you are in for a treat if your tastes are anywhere near mine.
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #75 of 131
Quote:

Well... in headphones (and hifi hobbies in general) we rarely pay from the value of parts but quality, and even that price/quality ratio is often weak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back