Review: Ultrasone Edition 9 and Proline 2500
Aug 14, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #16 of 131
Well done! Excellent review of the 2500's and I can't wait for your E9 review, especially as I'm patiently waiting for the next shipment.

I think you've captured the sound of the Ultrasone 2500's perfectly and done it without a sign of prejudice. A hard thing to do, as Ultrasone's sound signature appears to be quite polarizing.

Worthy of a sticky, IMO.

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #17 of 131
Stas,
Nice review of the 2500 x2! Rest assured, your Russian English-as-a-second-language speaks volumes better than most American English-as-a-first language. I have always strongly preferred (English translated) Russian/Soviet novelists. : )

FMOE*, I found the Proline 750 midrange to be much more immediate, intimate, involving, and less hollow than the 2500. In addition, the 2500 treble was more susceptible to grain and tiz than the (more treble-smooth) 750. The 2500 may have the edge with respect to bass balance, but lack the broadside thwack! and low end percussion of the 750.

The Proline signature, IMHO, is very direct and arresting--bordering on "forced entry," but more like a fine etching (like Leonardo's sketches) than a fine painting (e.g. Mona Lisa). It's like getting all the peaks from a topographical map, but not necessarily everything all the way "from the ground up."

"Somebody" really, really needs to do a comparison between the RAL/Proline 750 and the Ed.9. : ) Hint . . . Hint . . . However, with the RAL/K701 strapped on right now, I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Sure, you Ed.9-ers can sneer, while sporting your $1500 Ultrasone headgear, "Ignorance is bliss," but the phrase travels both ways! : P

(I'm secretly trying to incite someone to lend me their Ed.9.)
PAB

Key: FMOE=from my own experience

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #18 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Somebody" really, really needs to do a comparison between the RAL/Proline 750 and the Ed.9. : ) Hint . . . Hint . . . However, with the RAL/K701 strapped on right now, I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

By that you mean you are trying to get lend someone your Proline 750/Ral
eggosmile.gif

Thanks for the kind words folks. The amplifier used to discuss Proline 2500 is RSA Raptor, which is while tube, is not known for being warm at all. Its a great amp for evaluating gear IMHO, since it sounds very neutral.

Aug 14, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #19 of 131
This is developing into a real nice read. We can wait for its unveiling. Keep on going and don't get sidetrack to much with all the various questions that can come at you.

You have traveled much the same road as I have with the Proline 2500, W5000 and now the UE9. There is no doubt where I come down on those. I enjoyed all of them but the UE9s come nearest to what I imagine real music sounds.

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #20 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is really no way to summarize the exact experience with this headphone since it provides so much variety.

All this for that !!

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #21 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoyed all of them but the UE9s come nearest to what I imagine real music sounds.

You have never heard real music ?

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #22 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaijin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have never heard real music ?

Of course I have, I just said this a bit awkward. I hope you understand what I was attempting to say. Let me give it another attempt. These headphones and the UE9 especially come nearest to my being there at a concert that I can imagine from a headphone.

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #23 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course I have, I just said this a bit awkward. I hope you understand what I was attempting to say. Let me give it another attempt. These headphones and the UE9 especially come nearest to my being there at a concert that I can imagine from a headphone.

Listening to too much lossless can do that to you.

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #24 of 131
Quote:

Great,
You can do a search for already-posted comparisons (look on the dedicated 2500 thread, e.g.).

I've owned the 2500 twice now: first w/ and then w/o the RAL (detachable) cable; have a/b-ed them against the 750 on both occasions; and twice preferred the 750. There is, to me anyway, something more solid, liquidy--I know that sounds like a contradiction in terms--and integrated (a "seamless" and well-weighted character to the sound) with the latter.

When Stas says the Prolines have no midrange--well, maybe compared to the Ed.9, that certainly has not been my experience, especially with the 750, and even more so with the RAL cable. Also, I didn't check Stas's current/review amp, but the Proline 750 do very well with tubes. Midrange? Oh, yes! Vocals are the best I've heard (admittedly, outside the "sphere of influence" of the Ed.9 (and their feverish proponents)). : )

PatABurd

Thank you for your impressions. From what you describe, the 750 is for me. I was wanting a second closed can and this looks like the one.

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #26 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for your impressions. From what you describe, the 750 is for me. I was wanting a second closed can and this looks like the one.

Great,
What is your other, closed can? . . . the Ed.9?
wink.gif

PAB

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #27 of 131
Quote:

Great,
What is your other, closed can? . . . the Ed.9?
wink.gif

PAB

haha, no- I wish. I did get to have a quick listen to an Ed. 9 at a meet, that is what re-sparked my interest for a Proline. My closed can is a Darth Beyer, not very compact compared to the 750.

Aug 14, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #28 of 131
Thanks, MaloS. A thoughtful, detailed review of the 2500s. I expected nothing less
biggrin.gif

I owned the 2500s for a few months and agree with everything you stated, with the exception that the tone and tendency toward siblilance in the treble range is solely the product of source/recording. As I liked the 2500s, and this was the sore thumb for me along with slightly recessed mids, I went out of my way to try different sources and the best recordings to see if it eliminated the problem. I also tried different amps. I agree source material creates 70-80% of the difficulties in the high-mid treble range, but not completely. The 2500s lean to the bright side with a slightly unnatural, tinny sound that is completely listenable, but present in the best circumstances. In many cases, and with much music I enjoy, it wasn't pretty at all. Pataburd's comments, and he knows my particular pair of 2500s well, on the 750s made me think I should have tried them first. Ah well.

A local head-fier is expecting his Edition 9s tomorrow. I'm hoping to get a listen soon, and also hoping to like them a lot. If they better the Prolines like I've been reading. They could be the next closed can for me. I look forward to your review, too.

Aug 15, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #30 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review so far. I have a pair of PROline 2500 and I love them, so much I am thinking of selling my K701, K501, and maybe even the RS-1. Need to listen more to decide.

Funny. My acquisition of the K701 lead immediately to my selling (swapping, actually) of the Proline 2500. In my mind, the K701 trounce the 2500 as an open can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back