Review: Ultrasone Edition 9 and Proline 2500
Oct 23, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #91 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The earcups and earpads/headband are different, but almost everything else is the same - except of course that the Ed.9 cost $1500 and the 750s cost $400!

anyone else.
confused.gif

The sound makes the biggest differ. You have to hear in order to believe
wink.gif

The buildqual of the ed9 is also better than the 750.
There are also differs in the way the cups are build from the inside and out.

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #94 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. nice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do people in genreal seem to think of the E9s as neutral or not? is there a frequency chart link or something you guys might be able to point me to?

I would say the best I can tell you after owning this can for a while is that while not totally neutral, the only deviation that I hear is softened treble and mildly boosted bass. Inoffensive personality (as opposed to Grados), but with lots of PRaT.

I probably should finish writing here and revise this with due increase in experience with both mentioned headphones. I'll say one thing - fidelity level on Proline 2500 is very close to Edition, you can clearly hear that it is the same driver when you do back to back comparisons. That being said, for audiophiles Edition 9 has a much nicer tonality, since Proline 2500 is very offensive with its design for monitor use.

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #96 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. nice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can i ask what you replaced them with?

You can read my signature. I also still own the Proline 2500 and intend on keeping it.

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #97 of 131
What would you say the difference in sound quality is? I cannot understand why Edition 9, which uses the same drivers can cost multiple times a normal 750 or 2500.

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #98 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would you say the difference in sound quality is? I cannot understand why Edition 9, which uses the same drivers can cost multiple times a normal 750 or 2500.

I am personally not quite sure as to why the difference in price is so great. I would also like to get my hands on a 750 again to do extensive comparisons, but frankly I don't know if I can convince anyone.

The fact that Edition 9 is far more expensive can be explained by the fact that it is a different design, far more balanced out for particular market, and it is for a small market. To be profitable it has to be expensive (and luckily its sound quality matches the price). But outside of market diagram illustrations, I do not see any reason for Edition 9 to be as expensive as it is (including things like sheep leather and such). If Edition 9 can be rebuilt without making some of the parts unnecessarily expensive, and priced at $500, we would have a headphone that could demolish a good portion of the head-fi market...

At the moment I am trying to gather some info, but there could be a possibility of fine-tuning Proline 2500 (with different cable and internal padding) to be more friendly in its treble, and possibly boosting it's midrange. If I can get that to work, we would have a very very interesting headphone at hand.

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #99 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

look at the specs i posted above. virtually identical. it makes no sense.

i wonder if a recabled 750 sounds better than a stock Ed.9.

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #100 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am personally not quite sure as to why the difference in price is so great. I would also like to get my hands on a 750 again to do extensive comparisons, but frankly I don't know if I can convince anyone.

The fact that Edition 9 is far more expensive can be explained by the fact that it is a different design, far more balanced out for particular market, and it is for a small market. To be profitable it has to be expensive (and luckily its sound quality matches the price). But outside of market diagram illustrations, I do not see any reason for Edition 9 to be as expensive as it is (including things like sheep leather and such). If Edition 9 can be rebuilt without making some of the parts unnecessarily expensive, and priced at $500, we would have a headphone that could demolish a good portion of the head-fi market...

At the moment I am trying to gather some info, but there could be a possibility of fine-tuning Proline 2500 (with different cable and internal padding) to be more friendly in its treble, and possibly boosting it's midrange. If I can get that to work, we would have a very very interesting headphone at hand.

the Moon Audio Silver Dragon will do what you're asking for and more. Drew also offers a 30 day money back guarentee.

PACE

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #101 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look at the specs i posted above. virtually identical. it makes no sense.

i wonder if a recabled 750 sounds better than a stock Ed.9.

are you trying to piss off Sovkiller, or what
icon10.gif
?

PACE

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #102 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Moon Audio Silver Dragon will do what you're asking for and more. Drew also offers a 30 day money back guarentee.

PACE

Mmmmmm how much is it?

NVM. $190 for 5 feet...mmm

Oct 23, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #103 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mmmmmm how much is it?

NVM. $190 for 5 feet...mmm

5ft - 195 USD
10ft - 220 USD
15ft - 245 USD

Interesting. Curious as to how my 750s would perform with a Moon Audio cable vs. Edition 9s.

Oct 23, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #104 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5ft - 195 USD
10ft - 220 USD
15ft - 245 USD

Interesting. Curious as to how my 750s would perform with a Moon Audio cable vs. Edition 9s.

Heh, I might go on and recable my PL2500. If I do that, anyone willing to borrow me a 750?

Oct 23, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #105 of 131
well i am currently listening to the E9s right now. They seem more balanced than the GS-1000s but the bass on the GS-1000 seemd more refined. Again my set up blows ethiopian sheep you know what and the Grados were severely burned in. I think they are pretty comfy and dig them more than the GS1000s cuz they stay on my head and feel secure. The bass is BOOMY man! maybe too much so for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back