REVIEW: Travagans "Green", "Red" and "White" with "Colors" thrown in for good measure. Update: Travagans Black
Feb 2, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #121 of 185
Thanks Larry for the wonderful reviews! I'm a first time buyer and I think I am almost sold on the Travagans White after reading through this website for 2 days....

I was just wondering how you would compare the D10 to the White. I understand that the review is still works in progress but your input will be most helpful. I listen to mostly classical and have a pair of K271s. Planning to get the HD600 or 650 as well. I need a DAC/AMP as I listen to music off mu laptop.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #122 of 185
The White isn't here for comparison, but as I recall the White with a soldered on 2:1 board with OPA627 is great, and probably better than a portable amp (esp with HD600). The White's DAC was as good as the DAC on the Predator, 3MOVE and XM5 portables, but the D10 DAC is a little better.

I don't like to compare portables to desktop amps in general, as apples and oranges. The D10 is a top tier portable DAC/amp as far as I am concerned, so without a side by side comparison with the White I can't pick one over the other in all fairness.

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #123 of 185
thanks! I'll sit on the matter a little longer since the D10 is out of stock at the moment. But I'm still leaning towards the white. Looking forward to your review...

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #124 of 185
This sure was pretty helpful. Ever since moving from a desktop based audio system to my laptop, I've been in the market for a USB DAC and amp. I might sell my existing set-up (Entech 203.2/Humble cmoy) to help finance a Travagans Green or White (jury is still out).

May 8, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #125 of 185
Given the connection between the Firestone & Travagans I wondered if the Firestone Supplier might serve as well as the Travagans Black-- both supply 24V, same polarity-- and I happen to have one of the former. But the cable doesn't fit; the center pin in the Travagans is a bit too wide for the Firestone connector. Anyone know of any reason I shouldn't connect the two, if I DIY a cable with the slightly different size connectors on the ends?

May 8, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #126 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given the connection between the Firestone & Travagans I wondered if the Firestone Supplier might serve as well as the Travagans Black-- both supply 24V, same polarity-- and I happen to have one of the former. But the cable doesn't fit; the center pin in the Travagans is a bit too wide for the Firestone connector. Anyone know of any reason I shouldn't connect the two, if I DIY a cable with the slightly different size connectors on the ends?

If the voltage and polarity are the same, using the proper size cable should be safe. but don't come after me if you kill yours. I highly recommend one of these with the Travagans amps, as S/N improves as does dynamics and refinement as well. I found the same improvements in the black as I get with my 24v Sigma 11 PSU. So, a Sigma 11 is another option.

I am still enjoying my Red very much, and use it often in my living room rig with my K1000 and Stax transformers. Plus it is my primary dynamic amp in my living room rig where the Woo GES and Stax O2 are the centerpiece, and I like the way it pairs with my modded re-cabled ATH-A900 that I keep out there for when I need a closed phone. (I still use the Qinpu A-3 for stats and K1000 in my bedroom rig).

HiFlight just got a Red and installed AD743 opamps on my recommendation, and after some burn-in he is really enjoying it with his K1000. Somehow I for to mention the difference a good PSU makes with it, so I need to go tell him about that!

May 8, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #127 of 185
Quote:

You know!!! I was thinking the same thing.
I will be pulling the trigger on the "Travagans Red" in the next day or two.
I sent David a couple of E-Mails regarding the "Travagans Black" and have yet to receive any reply back. I was thinking I could get a "Firestone Supplier" to do the same job, but guess I'll need to fudge a cable together, otherwise it should be fine.

Great review Larry, really enjoyed reading it over a beer.

May 8, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #128 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew3199 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know!!! I was thinking the same thing.
I will be pulling the trigger on the "Travagans Red" in the next day or two.
I sent David a couple of E-Mails regarding the "Travagans Black" and have yet to receive any reply back. I was thinking I could get a "Firestone Supplier" to do the same job, but guess I'll need to fudge a cable together, otherwise it should be fine.

Where's my beer?
beerchug.gif

May 8, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #129 of 185
I would like to add my comments to those already expressed by Larry regarding the performance of the Travagan's Red; I first got it just as a temporary bedside amp for powering my AKG K-1000s.

These phones are well-known for being picky about their amps, so I wasn't expecting a great deal from the Red. Initial listening trials with the AKGs were rather lackluster...thin sounding and certainly not typical of the K-1000 potential.

I tried a number of different opamps, including the pricey and (IMO) over-rated OPA627s. Some improvements were apparent, but still not what I would want to listen to for any length of time.

I indicated to Larry that I would probably sell the amp, as I was not impressed with the performance. He asked if I had tried the AD743s.
As a matter of fact, I had completely overlooked trying a set of those, so once again, removed all *12* screws and inserted the 743s.

What a difference! Night and day. Although 743s have always improved any amp I have used them in, the difference they made in the Trav. Red was more noticeable than in any of my other amps.

The little amp now performed very well with the K1Ks. Nice bass, smooth mids and highs. Just an all-around very musical SQ.

I also tried the Red/743 combo with my Sony F1s and my Westone ES3X IEMs. Performance was superb with all of them.

Needless to say, the Red has now earned a permanent home, and will likely function as my primary beside amp plus backup amp for my K-1000s. I was previously powering my AKGs with a Winsome Labs Mouse, but sold it to partially offset the cost of my dedicated K-1000 amp, the SAC K-1000, which is especially built for these phones.

The only Con that I could mention might be that you will probably run the amp at nearly max volume with the K1Ks if you like your music at very high volume levels.

May 8, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #130 of 185
Thanks Ron!

Don't forget to look at an upgraded PSU like Sigma 11, or something like the Travagans Black if you want to get a little more out of the amp, as I found it had more S/N, dynamics and power at the speaker outputs with those.

May 8, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #131 of 185
Wow.... reading all this is making me wish i didnt sell my little Trav Red
frown.gif
Great little bedside amp ugh.

May 9, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #132 of 185
Quote:

Andrew3199, if David does respond do post it, or let me know. As fast as I get to things the likelihood is you'll hear from him before I get around to making a cable.

And ditto to Larry, thanks for the review, and the heads up on where to find AD743s.

May 9, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #133 of 185
Quote:

Andrew3199, if David does respond do post it, or let me know. As fast as I get to things the likelihood is you'll hear from him before I get around to making a cable.

And ditto to Larry, thanks for the review, and the heads up on where to find AD743s.

Sure thing! I am yet to get any E-Mail back from David regarding the Black, I also sent an E-Mail to their technical department also with no response. Travagans seems like they have gone to great lengths to provide an exceptional product, seems strange that they haven't got the time to reply to a potential customer. Maybe they are really busy?

May 9, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #134 of 185
Quote:

David did respond to me this morning Just to let me know that the Travagans Black would be $90 shipped to the U.S. He also said that the Black was not up on the web site yet but an order could be placed by e-mail sales@travagans.com
$90 seems like a good price. Brings the total for the Red and Black to $280.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back