REVIEW: Travagans "Green", "Red" and "White" with "Colors" thrown in for good measure. Update: Travagans Black
May 27, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #151 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent_Moler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey headphoneaddict, i know this might be kind of off of topic but what music player do u use on the mac? Do you ever run a usb directly to the amps your testing? Im asking cause i noticed you mentioned a DAC before you started the review so im wondering if mac > amp sound bad.

I use iTunes 8.1 to play music - often as a CD or a CD ripped into iTunes as an Apple Lossless file.

I don't like the Macbook headphone out into an amp, so I always use a DAC connected to the Mac USB or optical output (same jack as headphone, but with an optical cable).

I use any of the DACs in my review here: USB DAC/amp review

I most often use the iBasso D10 with it's built-in amp, or a Pico DAC-only feeding my Travagans Red (for stats via speaker out) and ALO Amphora amp, or my Apogee mini-DAC feeding my full size amps.

May 27, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #153 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent_Moler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks, how do you find itunes as a player? Do you EQ at all?

On a Mac it does a good job, and I don't use EQ unless I am testing something new and trying to correct a sound problem as it burns in (helps me understand where the problem lies and how it improves over time).

I look for the best synergy between the source/amp/phones as a way to not need EQ.

Jun 4, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #154 of 185
I just picked got my Red from HiFlight today (with the AD743s) and I must say that the smoother highs are very nice change from the shrillness I had noticed on certain songs, the bass is definitely a bit more refined and pronounced, which possibly isn't the best thing for my DT770s (haha) but overall much more enjoyable than the amp in my HT Omega Claro Halo. I look forward to seeing how this fairs with my K601s I just ordered!

Good call and thanks for the referral, Larry!

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #155 of 185
Headphoneaddict:

Great review, and I'm thinking about getting a headphone amp for my d2000 as well. I will be using the amp mainly as a headphone amp. According to you, it seems like the Red and White are more or less the same sound? If thats the case, i found the red on ebay for $100 cheaper, would it be a better buy over the white? Or do you have any other amp suggestions for d2000 thats under $250 US? Also how does it pair with IEMs like IE8? Thanks a lot!!

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #156 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphoneaddict:

Great review, and I'm thinking about getting a headphone amp for my d2000 as well. I will be using the amp mainly as a headphone amp. According to you, it seems like the Red and White are more or less the same sound? If thats the case, i found the red on ebay for $100 cheaper, would it be a better buy over the white? Or do you have any other amp suggestions for d2000 thats under $250 US? Also how does it pair with IEMs like IE8? Thanks a lot!!

For your phones listed about the Red would be a good choice is you have a nice source and don't need the internal DAC of the White or if you need speaker outputs to run a Stax transformer. The Red has more options open for opamp rolling than the White because of space constraints around the opamp socket in the White. Otherwise the sound is about the same.

Another good option for your D2000 and IE8 is the Head-direct EF2 DAC/amp tube hybrid. The DAC is nice and about the same level as the Meier 3MOVE portable, and you can still feed it via RCA inputs when not plugging it into your computer for the USB DAC. I did a review of that one too: REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

The Red/White is a little more detailed and very slightly brighter than the EF2 (but the sound changes if you upgrade opamps), but otherwise they are on a similar level. The EF2 responds to tube upgrades, and is not very picky about what headphones you use to sound good.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #157 of 185
Thanks a lot! I think i will stick to the Travagans because i like more detailed sound.

How does the white with OPA627AU sound compared to Red with AD743?
Would this be the one for White? http://cgi.ebay.ca/Dual-to-Mono-Opam...3%3A1|294%3A50 or would it be this one http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-X-Dual-to-Mono-...3%3A1|294%3A50
If Red is better, i think i will just buy the Travagan Red and the opamp and save 80$.
Last question, i see the White has a low gain switch, so would that one be better if i'm to use it with IEMs? I'm afraid without the switch, the Red one might be too loud.. (i don't listen to loud music)

Sorry for so many questions, i'm complete noob with amps..
again, thanks!

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #158 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot! I think i will stick to the Travagans because i like more detailed sound.

How does the white with OPA627AU sound compared to Red with AD743?
Would this be the one for White? Dual to Mono Opamp OPA2604 LM358 NE5532 TL072 to OPA627 on eBay.ca (item 360147701921 end time 14-Aug-09 16:09:54 EDT) or would it be this one 2 X Dual to Mono Op amp AD827 LM358 NE5532 to OPA627 on eBay.ca (item 120449852666 end time 26-Jul-09 12:51:55 EDT)
If Red is better, i think i will just buy the Travagan Red and the opamp and save 80$.
Last question, i see the White has a low gain switch, so would that one be better if i'm to use it with IEMs? I'm afraid without the switch, the Red one might be too loud.. (i don't listen to loud music)

Sorry for so many questions, i'm complete noob with amps..
again, thanks!

Most of the answers are already in my review - I said the white low gain switch didn't help much with very sensitive IEM, and I said the Red was my favorite because the opamps that fit it sound a little better. The Red is still not the best with high efficiency IEM because they all have a channel imbalance in the volume control at very low volume settings. You can use an inline volume attenuator like from Shure or Westone, to reduce the sensitivity of the IEM, so that you can turn the amp's volume knob higher for the same levels and thus stay out of the area where the volume knob is a little off.

I have a very bad internet connection at the hotel where we had out meet, and can't get the ebay page to load, but basically a pair of OPA627 on a 2:1 adapter that places one chip on top of the adapter and one under the adapter (and not side-by-side) will work.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #159 of 185
Headphoneaddict:

Awesome!! I can get a AKG K701 or an Sen HD650 (I ilke the K701), nothing else, I listen mostly to jazz.

What would be the best to drive them?

White (plus the upgrade) and black
Red (plus AD743) and sound card and black
Graham slee Novo and sound card

Im also considering the black psu.

Thanks!!!!

Pablo

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #161 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Another good option for your D2000 and IE8 is the Head-direct EF2 DAC/amp tube hybrid. The DAC is nice and about the same level as the Meier 3MOVE portable, and you can still feed it via RCA inputs when not plugging it into your computer for the USB DAC. I did a review of that one too:...the EF2 (but the sound changes if you upgrade opamps), but otherwise they are on a similar level. The EF2 responds to tube upgrades, and is not very picky about what headphones you use to sound good.

Several of us listened closely to the EF2 at the NJ meet Saturday with a number of different HPs and I think we'd all agree -- very nice sound for the price, the tubes make a difference, and fed from a high-end CDP using the CDPs DAC, the overall SQ would compete with amps at much higher price points.

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #162 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by gandalfu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphoneaddict:

Awesome!! I can get a AKG K701 or an Sen HD650 (I ilke the K701), nothing else, I listen mostly to jazz.

What would be the best to drive them?

White (plus the upgrade) and black
Red (plus AD743) and sound card and black
Graham slee Novo and sound card

Im also considering the black psu.

Thanks!!!!

Pablo

With the same opamps the white/red/green will sound very similar. For the K701 you will likely want the OPA627 opamps, but the HD650 will do better with the AD743.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #163 of 185
Thanks!!

AKG 701 it is then, with OPA627 and the red/black, will hunt the post for the tube_something ebay seller to order the opamps.

Thanks larry, your review make all the difference.

Pablo

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #164 of 185
just ordered mine, excited for something to power the hd600s well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back