REVIEW: Travagans "Green", "Red" and "White" with "Colors" thrown in for good measure. Update: Travagans Black
Aug 30, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #106 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those OPA627 on a 2:1 are exactly what you need to take the White to a whole new level.

USB Speakers will take the digital data and convert it to analog via "out board" DAC in the speakers.

thanks for the push there it really did significantly improve the sound quality of the amp

Aug 30, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #107 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by URZS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the push there it really did significantly improve the sound quality of the amp

That's great! I'm happy I actually gave out some good advice and the OPA627 helped you reach "audio nirvana"
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #108 of 185
Thank you for the review, I've just ordered the Red for my D2000's
beerchug.gif

I'll look into replacing the opamps as well, I need to backtrack through this thread and see if there is a specific combo that goes well with the Red and the D2000's.

Sep 5, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #109 of 185
OPA627 or AD743 - both are single channel opamps so you need two of them plus a 2:1 adapter.

I may have a spare pair of OPA627 already on a 2:1 that came from a reputable dealer on eBay(tube_buyer) who has been found to be selling the real thing and not fake opamps. PM me if you are interested in buying.

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #110 of 185
Hello Headphone Addict!

Please tell me whether the volume knob allows you to choose any positions between the figures? Or, you can choose volume levels "1", "2", "3" etc. only? What if I find "2" to be too low for me and "3" too loud for me?

Also, did you have a chance to compare Travagan Red with Shanling PH100?

If I use Travagan Red with Denon D2000, wouldn't the volume knob be in the lower region where the channel imbalance sometimes occurs?

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #111 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironmine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Headphone Addict!

Please tell me whether the volume knob allows you to choose any positions between the figures? Or, you can choose volume levels "1", "2", "3" etc. only? What if I find "2" to be too low for me and "3" too loud for me?

Also, did you have a chance to compare Travagan Red with Shanling PH100?

If I use Travagan Red with Denon D2000, wouldn't the volume knob be in the lower region where the channel imbalance sometimes occurs?

I'm pretty sure I posted somewhere that you CAN put the volume between numbers on the White, which is the only one that has a "semi-stepped" attenuator - it's really just a swept potentiometer that has "clicks" along the way from off to max.

With full size headphones, you will not have the volume in the lower region where there is channel imbalance - that will only happen with very sensitive IEM like SE530, Livewires, Freq Shows and others but a Shure volume attenuator will help get around the problem. So you will be fine with the D2000.

Also, I have never had the opportunity to try the PH100.

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #112 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you CAN put the volume between numbers on the White, which is the only one that has a "semi-stepped" attenuator - it's really just a swept potentiometer

Does it mean that the Red (and the Green) have "stepped" attenuators (with rigidly fixed steps of volume) or that they don't have "steps" at all (smooth all the way)?
Thanks

Sep 22, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #113 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironmine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it mean that the Red (and the Green) have "stepped" attenuators (with rigidly fixed steps of volume) or that they don't have "steps" at all (smooth all the way)?
Thanks

Red and Green are smooth.

Oct 5, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #114 of 185
I have been spending some time with the Travagans Black - which is a power regulator and stabilizer that goes between the Red and Green or White and the power brick. It's basically like having a Sigma 11 PSU for the amps, but it has a much bigger/longer power supply reserve than my 24v Sigma 11. Power can be unplugged for several seconds and turned back on and there is no audible influence on the sound.

I find the music background to be very black and dynamic range to be slightly improved, with not only the Travagans amps but also when used with a beta loaner 24v Grahm Slee NOVO discrete SS amp and my 24v Super Pro DAC707. With the Red and Green, it seems to give more drive power to their Speaker out for driving my electrostatic headphone transformer, and renders more bass through the electrostatic headphones along with the blacker background and better dynamics.

Using it with the DAC the sound is refined even more, and the frequency extension or depth seems better as well - the Black takes an entry level optical input DAC and brings it up to the level of my Headroom Micro DAC which is very good (DAC707 has same chip set as HR, but I haven't tested the USB input on DAC707 to see if it's as good as the Headroom).

I think the Travagans Black is a worthy addition to ANY 24v electronic audio device. However, it's design does match the Travagans, and it stacks well above or below the Red/Green/White.

Oct 10, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #116 of 185
I just got my Travagan,s Colors RED and WOW!!! when they say tiny they mean tiny. I expected something a little bigger than my Boosteroo Revolution white but it is so Tiny
1zns6tt.jpg

The amp is slightly less powerfull than the Boosteroo, but distortion is non-existent. The boosteroo is cheaper but the distortion isn't worth the savings.
My vote for best amp under $100 USD

I love the USB charger and rechargable battery and as silly as it sounds the leather/canvas wrap shows some real style and imagination of the part of Travagans. The ONLY downside is the lack of on/off and volume but That is what in-line volume controls are for.

Oct 11, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #117 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. Any idea of price on the Black? I couldn't find any info or photos on the Travagan website.

The Black is still in the production line and will hit the website next month - price is TBA.

Oct 11, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #118 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my Travagan,s Colors RED and WOW!!! when they say tiny they mean tiny. I expected something a little bigger than my Boosteroo Revolution white but it is so Tiny
1zns6tt.jpg

The amp is slightly less powerfull than the Boosteroo, but distortion is non-existent. The boosteroo is cheaper but the distortion isn't worth the savings.
My vote for best amp under $100 USD

I love the USB charger and rechargable battery and as silly as it sounds the leather/canvas wrap shows some real style and imagination of the part of Travagans. The ONLY downside is the lack of on/off and volume but That is what in-line volume controls are for.

Right regarding in-line volume control. For those that don't want to connect the colors to the headphone out - this works pretty well with an iPod LOD and the KSC75 version that includes an in-line volume control. It also works well with Grado MS-1 and a Shure volume attenuator using the iPod LOD.

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #120 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow great review !

I'm really tempted to try the Travagans Red with AD743 to see if this amp can have a better synergy with my Ed.9 than the Little Dot MKV
rolleyes.gif

Don't know if it will be better, but it was good enough to impress people at the CO head-fi meet this summer, as the Red was the only non-stat amp I brought aside from portables. HiFlight may be the only person in the world with some AD743 left to sell since they were discontinued this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back