Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Jun 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #946 of 2,566
Agree, my SE5 is less airy, slightly darker and a tiny bit slower than my Miracle. I think this is silicon housing's properties.. I notice that Custom Art also describe their IEM as more intimate and warmer than acrylic. 
Interesting (and surprising) finding with the AK120 Mimo. I wouldn't expect the Miracle to be slightly darker than the SE5.. Usually high output impedance will effect the bass and make IEM sounds brighter.
I'm buying the AK120 from ace8888. Seems like the AK120 pairs nicely with SE5 and Miracle. Is there anything you don't like about AK120/SE5/Miracle pairing?
With Se5 no issue, ak120 is great. With the Miracles, I am not sure...they do not sound bad...just less airy, thicker mids with slight veil...but I am not sure, have not given it enough time. Se5, 1plus2 and Kaede are really shining though. I need to ask Saraguie because he has the Miracles and ak120

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #947 of 2,566
Hmm.. Doesn't sound that good. I was planning to pair the AK120 with Miracle and TP with SE5.

With Se5 no issue, ak120 is great. With the Miracles, I am not sure...they do not sound bad...just less airy, thicker mids with slight veil...but I am not sure, have not given it enough time. Se5, 1plus2 and Kaede are really shining though. I need to ask Saraguie because he has the Miracles and ak120

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #949 of 2,566
I see. Let me know if the pairing got better or worst. Can't wait to get my AK120.

Once again very preliminary...I am considering trying switching silver gold cable to silver.

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #950 of 2,566
[size=medium]Well the last couple of pages have certainly been entertaining.[/size]

[size=medium]I don't know what has happened to manufacturing process, but looking at tupac's chart is a little disconcerting - but nothing to get too worried about...I think. Although, Mython makes some valid comments. I was actually going to buy a pair of SE5s some 18 months ago, but I was unsure if my ears would take them. I sent pictures of the impressions that I had taken but unfortunately that wasn't enough. Eventually, we stalled and I never went ahead.[/size]

[size=medium]From what is said about the process, whether Gregorz has made changes or not, then if people are asking questions of concern in general then maybe he should answer them. We are the customers at the end of the day and just as manufacturing processes change, so we should be told of the affective consequences - if any.[/size]

[size=medium]However, I think Mython has probably hit the nail on the head talking about phase alignment - the 5-way has got to be a royal pain to get right in this regard. But in commenting that the science is not yet understood, I have to disagree. The science is so well understood that the problem is actually more personified, if not of a patented nature. If we all could use a universal car, house, tv, hi-fi or whatever, then life would be so simple for manufacturers; albeit boring. The point is that we all have different tastes and requirements and as such, manufacturers have to second guess what the common ground is. As such, manufacturers can only guess as to the environments that their speakers are placed within (to quote the science) our personal tastes and the genres that we do and not listen to. We're all percentiles on a Gaussian curve at the end of the day in this respect.[/size]

[size=medium]Moving back to (C)IEMs, one of the biggest problems to overcome with the multi-way is that of phase alignment. We're seeing manufacturers trying to overcome this with active crossovers and DSP. The biggest barrier to cross will be to accomplish this consistently with passive crossovers. I don't think that the technology is too far away, it just needs to be fine tuned - and maybe some licensing(?) Similarly, just as people are adverse to sharing a typical frequency response plot of their (C)IEMs, it could well be that their phase alignment is so far out the window to validate such a plot. This may not be the case, but I do have to wonder.[/size]

[size=medium]My two cents from a prospective future buyer.[/size]

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #954 of 2,566
Quote:
So they fit perfectly to SE5 way?

They should, but Michael you need to be extra careful cuz it might come off when you put in the pocket.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #955 of 2,566
Quote:
Wow,that is wonderful. Lots of my after market cables won't fit in. and the ones that fit in (twag v3, twcu v3) sound medicore to me.

These sound good, but I could not swear much better than stock because I do not want to A/B (the SE5 sockets are too fragile). They fit because I asked for CUSTOM MADE LONGER PINS. They are longer than usual standard pins.
Quote:
They should, but Michael you need to be extra careful cuz it might come off when you put in the pocket.

Thanks. I would NEVER put them in my pocket, always in their case. And like I said before, they are custom pins, so they fit quite tightly (I hope).

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #956 of 2,566
Ok false joy...the did not do the pins long enough :frowning2: they do not stay in actually...will send them back and keep you updated
frown.gif

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #957 of 2,566
Maybe send it back with SE5's original cable so they can get it right this time.

Ok false joy...the did not do the pins long enough :frowning2: they do not stay in actually...will send them back and keep you updated :frowning2:

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #960 of 2,566
Either that or just measure the actual metal pins of the original cable and have the manufacturer match those measurements. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back