Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Jun 26, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #917 of 2,566
I saw some people talking about new SE5 Way Reference monitors are inferior to old ones. I know A_J explained on Hidition NT6 pro thread but maybe that could be a better place to move to discussion. Also it can help people who is looking for information about that.

I also have a question for SE5 way owners. Do you think there is a genre SE5 way can't handle very good or it is a perfect allrounder with a new level of resolution? I listen to variety of music from rock and metal to classic, I wonder if SE5 has a problem with any genre.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #918 of 2,566
Quote:
I saw some people talking about new SE5 Way Reference monitors are inferior to old ones. I know A_J explained on Hidition NT6 pro thread but maybe that could be a better place to move to discussion. Also it can help people who is looking for information about that.

I also have a question for SE5 way owners. Do you think there is a genre SE5 way can't handle very good or it is a perfect allrounder with a new level of resolution? I listen to variety of music from rock and metal to classic, I wonder if SE5 has a problem with any genre.

Concerning, the latest (furry) person to mention this "difference",  I am curious to hear his source(s). And anyways, if you have been around long enough, you would know that if Average Joe said water is wet, this (furry) person would certainly state that the latest version of water is not as wet.

Only very few people have compared to my knowledge, Average Joe and Tupac. Joe says there is no difference (there is only a difference between his first a second pair, the first having a not deep enough fit, but that is a different subject). And Tupac gives them a 3 point difference ranking out of a 100, the newer still scoring 94/100

http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/ed/ed2619ba_drg.png

To my ears, the SE5 are wonderful, with no issue in SQ, they are not dark nor bright and work well with all music. They need a proper source of course, and will be very revealing of bad recording. But to my ears, their only challenger is the 1Plus2 (within my iems) and to a lesser extent the Miracles.

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #919 of 2,566
Quote:

Concerning, the latest (furry) person to mention this "difference",  I am curious to hear his source(s). And anyways, if you have been around long enough, you would know that if Average Joe said water is wet, this (furry) person would certainly state that the latest version of water is not as wet.

Only very few people have compared to my knowledge, Average Joe and Tupac. Joe says there is no difference (there is only a difference between his first a second pair, the first having a not deep enough fit, but that is a different subject). And Tupac gives them a 3 point difference ranking out of a 100, the newer still scoring 94/100

http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/ed/ed2619ba_drg.png

To my ears, the SE5 are wonderful, with no issue in SQ, they are not dark nor bright and work well with all music. They need a proper source of course, and will be very revealing of bad recording. But to my ears, their only challenger is the 1Plus2 (within my iems) and to a lesser extent the Miracles.

Thanks Mim,

I am aware of Tupac's chart and it really helped me a lot, I was even thinking if my ears are not large enough for SE5 maybe I can go for EM6 as Tupac says SE5 on stereoids 
biggrin.gif
 Apparently the rumor is pretty much 1 sided and I believe you and AJ and Tupac. I am going to finish my exam period, settle down and contact SE and if everything is alright order it. I know I need a nice DAP too I am going to get R10 to pair with it, 10 12 hours of battery, OPA627 amp section. I think it would be more than enough. Once again thank you for all the explanation and helping 
wink.gif
 When my cable needs replacement I will also contact Beat Audio about Oslo II and make it special for SE ciems. You guys are awesome.

Btw, did you receive your Oslo II already?

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #920 of 2,566
Thanks Mim,

I am aware of Tupac's chart and it really helped me a lot, I was even thinking if my ears are not large enough for SE5 maybe I can go for EM6 as Tupac says SE5 on stereoids 
biggrin.gif

Apparently the rumor is pretty much 1 sided and I believe you and AJ and Tupac. I am going to finish my exam period, settle down and contact SE and if everything is alright order it. I know I need a nice DAP too I am going to get R10 to pair with it, 10 12 hours of battery, OPA627 amp section. I think it would be more than enough. Once again thank you for all the explanation and helping 
wink.gif

When my cable needs replacement I will also contact Beat Audio about Oslo II and make it special for SE ciems. You guys are awesome.

Btw, did you receive your Oslo II already?
You should not only rely on our opinions of course...for example if you like bright iems of iems with huge soundstage, se5 is not it. Anyways hope you find what suits you best ! Should have the cable soon.

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #921 of 2,566
Quote:
You should not only rely on our opinions of course...for example if you like bright iems of iems with huge soundstage, se5 is not it. Anyways hope you find what suits you best ! Should have the cable soon.

I am actually big fan of huge soundstages ben maybe NT6 can be too bright for me, I am not sure so I will get SE5 way first then later on NT6 pro.

I, kindly, suggest you to take a look at Hidition NT6 and NT6 pro btw, you seem like getting all high end things and these ones shouldn't be out of your range I believe. AJ also stated them very high too, they are the only ones can match with SE5 way technical capabilities.

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #922 of 2,566
One thing to consider is that SE5 is quite difficult to drive. It will sound OK coming from mid range dap. But it will improve a lot with a bigger voltage swing output stage, such as quickstep, pico power, etc. It should be treated as a high ohmic headphone instead of a normally low ohmic multi ba iem (Miracle, JH13, JH16, etc). 

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #923 of 2,566
SE5 can pretty much handle everything.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #924 of 2,566
Quote:

Thank you for bringing it up.  There is an unsubstantiated and untrue rumor that SE has changed their manufacturing/product, which is not true. Here are some thoughts on the person that claims they (and their GF) heard the SE5 and is trying to spread "gossip," but of course neither own them.

[size=small] Not having the real thing won't give real results as shown, and here is an example: A HF member PMed me because he was worried his not yet received SE5 sounded bad.  The person in the EU forwarding them to him, a SE5 owner that I know and hears them as I do, put them in his ears and thought they didn't sound close to the same. In fact, the sounded like the 2 people that don't like them sounded (on a side note, there are SE5s that have been sold, so how are they refit, or are people just hoping they fit "because they are soft silicone").  Talking with both parties, the person in the EU said the SE5 fit his ears close enough and he thought he got a good fit and seal as he is very experienced.  When the member received his SE5, he said the worry was for nothing as they sounded as described: exceptional.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Moral of the story: The SE5 is complex, as is a person's hearing.  Especially with 5 sound tubes.  Anything other than a customized version will I can ask the members to post they story for verification.  It doesn't matter if the shell is silicone or acrylic, one person's customs will not work properly in another persons ears the vast majority of the time.  Silicone is flexible, but moving the drivers/sound tubes can result in unsatisfactory sound.  Make your own informed decision.[/size]

Quote:
I am actually big fan of huge soundstages ben maybe NT6 can be too bright for me, I am not sure so I will get SE5 way first then later on NT6 pro.

I, kindly, suggest you to take a look at Hidition NT6 and NT6 pro btw, you seem like getting all high end things and these ones shouldn't be out of your range I believe. AJ also stated them very high too, they are the only ones can match with SE5 way technical capabilities.

Not to throw something else in there, but the PP6 or PRM might be considerations.

Quote:
One thing to consider is that SE5 is quite difficult to drive. It will sound OK coming from mid range dap. But it will improve a lot with a bigger voltage swing output stage, such as quickstep, pico power, etc. It should be treated as a high ohmic headphone instead of a normally low ohmic multi ba iem (Miracle, JH13, JH16, etc). 

Yes, but it is also quite easy to drive at the same time.  What I mean by that is they recreate more detail from a Clip+ than any other CIEM I have heard, yet they can do oh so much better in the soundstage bass department (along with other characteristics) with a better source.

Quote:
I don't think SE5 is as good as 1+2/NT6 on classical, metal/rock (A little bit lacking sparkle or imaging, but still top class). Other then that, SE5 can pretty much handle everything.

I have always tried to stay away from genre recommendations, but I think I am bringing myself closer to doing so.  The SE5 has the best PRaT (note capability) and therefore is exceptional with any genre.  The soundstage, note thickness/speed, and detail articulation preferences will differer from person to person which will lead to someone preferring a certain presentation vs. another for select genres IMO.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #925 of 2,566
Quote:

Thank you for bringing it up.  There is an unsubstantiated and untrue rumor that SE has changed their manufacturing/product, which is not true. Here are some thoughts on the person that claims they (and their GF) heard the SE5 and is trying to spread "gossip," but of course neither own them.

[size=small] Not having the real thing won't give real results as shown, and here is an example: A HF member PMed me because he was worried his not yet received SE5 sounded bad.  The person in the EU forwarding them to him, a SE5 owner that I know and hears them as I do, put them in his ears and thought they didn't sound close to the same. In fact, the sounded like the 2 people that don't like them sounded (on a side note, there are SE5s that have been sold, so how are they refit, or are people just hoping they fit "because they are soft silicone").  Talking with both parties, the person in the EU said the SE5 fit his ears close enough and he thought he got a good fit and seal as he is very experienced.  When the member received his SE5, he said the worry was for nothing as they sounded as described: exceptional.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Moral of the story: The SE5 is complex, as is a person's hearing.  Especially with 5 sound tubes.  Anything other than a customized version will I can ask the members to post they story for verification.  It doesn't matter if the shell is silicone or acrylic, one person's customs will not work properly in another persons ears the vast majority of the time.  Silicone is flexible, but moving the drivers/sound tubes can result in unsatisfactory sound.  Make your own informed decision.[/size]

Not to throw something else in there, but the PP6 or PRM might be considerations.

Yes, but it is also quite easy to drive at the same time.  What I mean by that is they recreate more detail from a Clip+ than any other CIEM I have heard, yet they can do oh so much better in the soundstage bass department (along with other characteristics) with a better source.

I have always tried to stay away from genre recommendations, but I think I am bringing myself closer to doing so.  The SE5 has the best PRaT (note capability) and therefore is exceptional with any genre.  The soundstage, note thickness/speed, and detail articulation preferences will differer from person to person which will lead to someone preferring a certain presentation vs. another for select genres IMO.

AJ, thanks a lot first of all. About suggestions PP6 and PRM, they are out of my range cuz of their prices even though I actually would like to hear PP6 but for the moment no way. Maybe in the future.

I am thinking about HDP R10, which is basicly DX100 with longer battery and OPA627 (okay there are a few more differences but these ones are crucial I guess). You gave 10/10 for DX100 + Portaphile 627. I guess HDP R10 would be a nice source too?

About the rumors. I already decided not to take them seriously. Unfortunately, for the persons who is not aware of what is really happening, it can be a negative effect. If you think about it, it is really not nice for Spiral Ear.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #926 of 2,566
My opinion, and I have recently started listening to my pair of SE5 again with the 901.

Which ever way you look(hear) at it....the SE5 is definitely in the select top tier of IEMs for me..........
size]

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #927 of 2,566
Agree. That is why I said it sounds OK from an ok dap. But I think people with SE5 should try driving it with proper source/amp so they can enjoy SE5's full potential.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #928 of 2,566
I think I don't need to say much since I put out the chart:wink: SE5 (both old and new versions) are still the best CIEMs I have heard to date. They do sound different, but the difference are subtle and IMO I don't think one would notice if he doesn't have the other beside him to compare. Here is my chart in case someone missed it:

Also to be clear, in the chart, I stated my new SE5 is gone, NOT because I sold them. because I switched it to SE 3 PRO/SE2 (due to fitting, not sound). And Grzegorz was helpful all the way.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #929 of 2,566
When it comes to custom IEMs, we must never forget there is absolutely nothing quite like the Future Sonics MG6Pro, and that is an absolutely indisputable fact — every single MG6Pro owner has stated they have never—ever—heard anything better. Nothing comes remotely close to the absolute perfection of the MG6Pro.

Jun 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #930 of 2,566
Quote:
When it comes to custom IEMs, we must never forget there is absolutely nothing quite like the Future Sonics MG6Pro, and that is an absolutely indisputable fact — every single MG6Pro owner has stated they have never—ever—heard anything better. Nothing comes remotely close to the absolute perfection of the MG6Pro.

basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back