Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Jan 10, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #1,816 of 2,566
I agree with Mython's definition of intimacy soundstage wise. The way I see it, in my own words, is that indeed for the SE5, lateral spacial clues place instruments and voices quite close together and not too far from you. However, you never feel any "stuffiness" to the sound thanks to great separaration and precise placement, and a certain sense of depth.

Some other iems, for instance Fitear 335, seem 5o create intimacy because of the fullness of their sounds, mids and bass are so rich that they seem close together....like fat people in an elevator. This intimacy may seem more claustrophobic at times.

There is a last aspect more often related to the recording but sometimes enhanced or modified by colored iems, and non exclusive to the other twoo aspects, which is (artificial) proximity of voices. When you hear the singer whispering in your ear, there can be a feeling of intimacy unrelated to the width or depth of placement of instruments.

Always enjoy reading your posts.. Always
happy_face1.gif

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #1,820 of 2,566
Jan 11, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #1,821 of 2,566
  Can someone teach me what does it mean by the word "intimate" and "oomph" in terms of sound? 

I always see these two words, but can't really understand the true meaning in terms of frequency response. 

I would interpret oomph as the sound having a thicker note weight to it. More so in the bass though but it could be in other regions. This can be an inherent characteristic of an IEM or even can be in achieved in part by using a high end desktop rig to power the IEMs headphones. 

In regards to intimacy that generally means (for me that is) vocals are more forward (but not limited to just vocals) and due to this it leads to a smaller sound staging (or lack of).

I was listening to my SE5 yesterday though the AK120-S mod and was really enjoying them. I was using them at low volumes. Very detailed and still very good dynamic range considering the thickness of the sound. But say compared to the 1Plus2 and Sui it does lack in the dynamic department. Still a great all-arounder and it really doesn't have any weaknesses IMO.

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #1,822 of 2,566

I was listening to my SE5 yesterday though the AK120-S mod ....

Lots of people are going to be interested in learning how the RWAK120-S (or B) sounds, in relation to the AK240, and in relation to the DX90, Calyx-M, etc., Lee.

Do you have any plans to obtain any of these DAPs to compare with the RWAK120-S, or is the RWAK120-S end-game for you, for the next few months?

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #1,823 of 2,566

Lots of people are going to be interested in learning how the RWAK120-S (or B) sounds, in relation to the AK240, and in relation to the DX90, Calyx-M, etc., Lee.

Do you have any plans to obtain any of these DAPs to compare with the RWAK120-S, or is the RWAK120-S end-game for you, for the next few months?

He wanted to end the DAP game I am sure.. But I am sure his face was like 
triportsad.gif
 when he heard AK240 (Maybe RAWK240) is coming. lol

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #1,824 of 2,566
Actually I really have 0 plans on upgrading other than amps at this point. I have not even pushed the AK120-S mod to its limits yet and I doubt the 240 will be comparable. But you never know :p.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #1,826 of 2,566
TU-05 is on my to get list. In terms of portable I am quite happy with the T1 so far. I am looking forward to trying out their new T1 Amp/DAc combo. They supposedly are improving upon the sonics by a nice margin. I'll get to hear it at some point.

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #1,827 of 2,566
  TU-05 is on my to get list. In terms of portable I am quite happy with the T1 so far. I am looking forward to trying out their new T1 Amp/DAc combo. They supposedly are improving upon the sonics by a nice margin. I'll get to hear it at some point.

The waiting time for the TU-05 is so long. TUR-06 is on my wishlist at the moment. Both amps look amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back